Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 13,746 times

Advertisements

I'm kinda new to Kratom, heard it is excellent for pain relief. Can't take Vicodine or Tramadol and thought I may give Kratom a try. Does it help? Where is the best place to buy it? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,808,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeye View Post
I'm kinda new to Kratom, heard it is excellent for pain relief. Can't take Vicodine or Tramadol and thought I may give Kratom a try. Does it help? Where is the best place to buy it? Any thoughts?
You can buy it online, and at headshops/tobacco shops. Unfortunately, since it isn't regulated by the FDA, it's often adulterated, so you might be buying nothing more than dried tea leaves, sold as kratom, and still end up having to take something else to relieve your pain.

I recommend asking your physician for advice; if he's open-minded he'll have no problem referring you to a reputable naturopath.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,232 times
Why can't you take Tramadol and similar drugs? Do you have a reaction to them? I've used Kratom off and on for many years. It does helps some people with pain, some will actually even be able to take a bit of a break from their pain pills. For others it is useful for depression, anxiety, relaxation and social anxiety. Remember though, it does not work the same on everyone. People tend to build up a tolerance to it after while meaning one may have to increase their dose or take a break from it. I'm one that is treatment resistant to meds and I was hoping this would ease my depression and anxiety, but for me it works only to a small degree. For others it really works well.

I would advise joining a Kratom forum, there are a couple of them online. There is a lot of good infor there and people are helpful with questions. You can talk to people about the different kinds from Thai that is more energizing to Bali, which is more relaxing. Suppliers on the forums will sometimes have specials and they are allowed to share that with the forum users. So its possible to get better deals and keep tabs on who has the best stock. I think you will end up paying more locally and often they are getting their supply from sources found from the forum. I've used Nomad Botanicals, they have good prices. They are on the web.

They have been trying to demonize Kratom for the last few years, some have been afraid it will become illegal. If people work up to a pretty high daily dose and stop, well just like with many drugs one stops all of the sudden there can be bad reactions. They haven't banned Paxil despite the fact it can be very hard to stop with bad effects to it. It's a very scary drug but its still around.

So common sense is the thing with regards to Kratom. Ya always start with a very small dose at first, less can be more. Too much to begin with will not enhance its effects. And everyone is different. I'm pretty sensitive to meds in general. I never felt addicted to it or did I ever increase my dose to anything very high by forum standards. For me over a certain amount did not increase the effects even when very used to it. The extracts are stronger, much more expensive too. I would not advise starting with those. Those that use extracts and then return to the plain leaf find their tolerance much higher for the weaker leaf Kratom. Plain leaf Bali and the others are not that bad priced really, but how long it lasts depends on the daily dose and if taken everyday or few times a week. The more leaf you buy the cheaper it gets. The extracts are expensive and seem to go fast. I used to buy a small amount and then add part to the plain leaf to make it a bit more powerful. They do have leaf mixes like that for sale as well. I haven't bought it for awhile because it just doesn't work very well on me. But when feeling desperate for something else due to the depression and nothing that works, I do think of trying it again. And I probably will.

One last thing in reference to Polis2009 post and regarding people on the forum being worried about running out. Most everyone there are taking it for a reason, not to try to get a high, but because they have pain, depression, anxiety, social anxiety and Kratom helps them feel better. If one was on antidepressants and they were helping and one was about to run out, one would panic because they know the pills help them and they worry they will cope worse without them. So I think it makes sense really. I know when I ordered some, and had been coping very bad with the severe depression, I felt desperate for something to help and was anxiously waiting to try the different types of Kratom I had ordered. So I think for the most part this is no different than worrying about running out of any med that has been helping.

Those writing this article probably know nothing about it at all.

Asian leaf 'kratom' making presence felt in US emergency rooms - U.S. News

Last edited by todd00; 01-26-2013 at 03:31 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 03:22 AM

194 posts, read 183,276 times
I would be very careful w/ kratom. Kava is a better choice IMO.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,665,887 times
Do not buy it from people/shops who advertise it as a legal "high" of call it a stupid name. Don't patronize vendors who sell it in pill form. Like anything else from food, to drugs to internetting, it can be abused, but it's proven to be a godsend for many.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:14 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,665,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post

All I could do is laugh. But really it's sad. Did you see the reporters "sources" lol
But, it being NBS, there are people who will actually believe that stuff

Old 05-16-2016, 01:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
I know about it, but won't go there...I deal with enough pain, but learn to live with a lot of what I live with. I bought some but won't use it. I should toss it out. I think it's in a drawer.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,806,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Why can't you take Tramadol and similar drugs? Do you have a reaction to them? I've used Kratom off and on for many years. It does helps some people with pain, some will actually even be able to take a bit of a break from their pain pills. For others it is useful for depression, anxiety, relaxation and social anxiety. Remember though, it does not work the same on everyone. People tend to build up a tolerance to it after while meaning one may have to increase their dose or take a break from it. I'm one that is treatment resistant to meds and I was hoping this would ease my depression and anxiety, but for me it works only to a small degree. For others it really works well.

I would advise joining a Kratom forum, there are a couple of them online. There is a lot of good infor there and people are helpful with questions. You can talk to people about the different kinds from Thai that is more energizing to Bali, which is more relaxing. Suppliers on the forums will sometimes have specials and they are allowed to share that with the forum users. So its possible to get better deals and keep tabs on who has the best stock. I think you will end up paying more locally and often they are getting their supply from sources found from the forum. I've used Nomad Botanicals, they have good prices. They are on the web.

They have been trying to demonize Kratom for the last few years, some have been afraid it will become illegal. If people work up to a pretty high daily dose and stop, well just like with many drugs one stops all of the sudden there can be bad reactions. They haven't banned Paxil despite the fact it can be very hard to stop with bad effects to it. It's a very scary drug but its still around.

So common sense is the thing with regards to Kratom. Ya always start with a very small dose at first, less can be more. Too much to begin with will not enhance its effects. And everyone is different. I'm pretty sensitive to meds in general. I never felt addicted to it or did I ever increase my dose to anything very high by forum standards. For me over a certain amount did not increase the effects even when very used to it. The extracts are stronger, much more expensive too. I would not advise starting with those. Those that use extracts and then return to the plain leaf find their tolerance much higher for the weaker leaf Kratom. Plain leaf Bali and the others are not that bad priced really, but how long it lasts depends on the daily dose and if taken everyday or few times a week. The more leaf you buy the cheaper it gets. The extracts are expensive and seem to go fast. I used to buy a small amount and then add part to the plain leaf to make it a bit more powerful. They do have leaf mixes like that for sale as well. I haven't bought it for awhile because it just doesn't work very well on me. But when feeling desperate for something else due to the depression and nothing that works, I do think of trying it again. And I probably will.

One last thing in reference to Polis2009 post and regarding people on the forum being worried about running out. Most everyone there are taking it for a reason, not to try to get a high, but because they have pain, depression, anxiety, social anxiety and Kratom helps them feel better. If one was on antidepressants and they were helping and one was about to run out, one would panic because they know the pills help them and they worry they will cope worse without them. So I think it makes sense really. I know when I ordered some, and had been coping very bad with the severe depression, I felt desperate for something to help and was anxiously waiting to try the different types of Kratom I had ordered. So I think for the most part this is no different than worrying about running out of any med that has been helping.

older thread but am adding my 2 cents........

Kratom is a miracle herb. I can't say enough great things about it and have nothing negative to say ( unless of course I add that it taste just awful but you can buy it in capsules or buy the capsules and put the powder in them. I mix a tsp full into a cup of orange juice--no problem!!) Within 15 minutes my Pain,Depressed feelings and Anxiety are gone. I usually only have to dose once a day--sometimes twice. If you don't know anything about it then don't be knocking it...........just scroll on...
This beats the heck out of Big Pharma meds! I'm off my benzo meds and my pain meds. I'm hoping the next and last thing I have to wean from is my BP medicines. Oh and the weaning from pain meds and Benzo meds while using Kratom was super easy as it kept the withdrawals away-totally!!! I don't know why it took so long for me to learn about this herb but I suffered soooooo long, especially due to migraines but no more suffering

Old 03-07-2018, 03:21 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Would you mention a quality source. I might try it again. Hope it doesn't raise blood pressure. Any comments there.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,488,833 times
I buy mine here.
https://www.kratom-k.com/

They are the top vendor in the US and are reputable. The taste is bitter with the powder. You can make a tea but to take the whole plant can be difficult for some. To make it easier, get the capsules. I usually get the order within 2 or 3 days.

Here is a very informative article as to how much and which kind is best for your particular condition.
https://ensobotanicals.com/kratom/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine