Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:25 PM

400 posts, read 1,918,446 times

Advertisements

I've had a cold for about 3 days now and someone told me that I should use a combination of honey and cinnamon in tea a few times a day to help with cold symptoms.

I was told to take 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon with 1 tablespoon of honey in hot water or hot tea at least 3 times a day. But this person said that store bought cinnamon is toxic, which confuses me. I thought all cinnamon is the same, no matter where its bought. I have store bought cinnamon powder that came with the spice rack I bought at Target, and the honey I bought is pure, organic honey.

Has anyone tried this as an alternative cold or flu remedy before and had any luck with it decreasing symptoms? I use a neti pot regularly and wash my hands regularly, but still caught a cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Toxic?? That's crazy. The chain of Cinnabon pastry shops would be bankrupt. People also take it to reduce blood sugar/diabetes.

Handwashing is great, but for future reference, neti pots can actually push up higher into the nasal cavity any virus that your nasal mucosa has trapped, so they are not a good idea if you think you've been exposed. Better to breathe steam from over a bowl.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Honey can be used to combat outdoor allergies and cinnamon is good for your stomach.

I always found that when I would turn on the heat for the first time of the season it dried out my nasal passages and let cold germs take hold. My preferred way to treat is to curl up in bed and sweat it out staying extra warm so my body didn't have to use it's energy to work on that aspect.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Store-bought cinnamon is not toxic. It is also not *usually* true cinnamon. Often, it's cassia bark, which is similar to cinnamon but not the same thing. It comes from a variety of cinnamon, and is known as Chinese Cinnamon. True cinnamon is called Ceylon Cinnamon. The "scare" factor of cassia is that it has higher amounts of coumarin than Ceylon cinnamon. Coumarin, in high quantities, is toxic to the liver and kidneys.

Ingesting a single 1/4 teaspoon once a day, mixed with tea and honey, is not going to damage your liver or kidneys. However, if you are already suffering from damaged liver and kidneys, you might want to cut that dosage back to 1/8 teaspoon, a couple times a day, instead of ingesting it all at once. It'll also taste better, because a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon is VERY strong tasting. Put it this way: I use one teaspoon of cinnamon (cassia) in my apple crisp recipe. It serves 8 and it's been mixed with butter and brown sugar and cooked.

Cinnamon (cassia) is good for helping to promote blood circulation, so it'll probably be useful in tea if you have a cold. Just remember that with something like cinnamon (cassia), less is more, and more is too much. A pinch in your tea will be delicious and might even pop open your sinuses (from inhaling the steam in the tea, not from ingesting it)

And remember never to ingest or inhale the powder all by itself. THAT can be dangerous, because it can trigger an asthma attack.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
I think honey and lemon tea is better, and its very soothing for a cough and raw throat. You can add a bit of garlic in it too, or take garlic capsules, as its very good for the immune system. I take garlic everyday.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I prefer Ceylon cinnamon, but it's VERY hard to find in stores. IMO, the best way to buy Ceylon is to order it. Cinnamon sold in stores rarely tell what kind of cinnamon it is and you can just about assume it's cassia.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM

55 posts, read 197,711 times
The ultimate cure for the flu whether Sars or recent norovirus is Sliver Sol aka (ASAP,Souverign,SilverBiotics,)

Old 02-06-2013, 02:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I'm coming down with something now, just a bit of a sniffle and throat a bit sore. No fever or chills. I decided to try this honey cinnamon tea. It's a strange combination of things, but holy moly does this taste good. This might just be my new afternoon hot beverage for the rest of the winter (which here lasts to May).

Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
I always go for the honey and lemon combo. You might also want to give "lemon-ginger" tea a shot. Another one that we keep on hand is Echinacea Complete Care.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:59 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
I drank tea with honey and cinnamon in the afternoon and night for two days, my cold symptons are gone. I didn't take anything else. Now I don't know if this was the reason or whatever I had ran its course. This is now my new favorite winter evening beverage, VERY tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine