Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:17 AM

433 posts, read 1,369,810 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with me. It's been a month now that I've had this cough. It started with a cold and that went away with medicine. I got a cough right after the cold went away, and been to the doctor twice for this cough. He gave be antibiotics that lasted for 4 days but the cough didn't go away completely. He then prescribed a different medicine that I've been using for the last week and the cough's better and almost gone away, only problem is the medicine's run out. I called the pharmacy and asked if I could get a refill and they said I couldn't for this medicine and said I had to ask the doctor...

So tomorrow, I'm supposedly going to have to wait AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME at the doctor's office. What kind of cough is this?? This never happened to me before. Is it because I'm getting older or something?? Should I go to a different doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Well, considering you have a doctor appointment tomorrow, I would think they are the best person to answer your question.

We can narrow it down to bacteria based (at least your doc thinks so), but that's about it.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 PM

568 posts, read 961,908 times
If it almost went away and you ran out of meds...then the doctor should just renew the prescription and I would wonder why he didtn prescribe enought to begin with...three doctors visits are better of him than two $$$$$ cha-ching....

Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post

So tomorrow, I'm supposedly going to have to wait AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME at the doctor's office. What kind of cough is this?? This never happened to me before. Is it because I'm getting older or something?? Should I go to a different doctor?
A throat swab and culture should have been done.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
And what are those??

I'll be going back tomorrow, and wow, he'll be hearing it from me...

Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
The only reason to do a throat swab and culture is to check for strep throat...

Strep throat doesn't give you a cough.

No reason to do a throat swab for a cough.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The only reason to do a throat swab and culture is to check for strep throat...

Strep throat doesn't give you a cough.

No reason to do a throat swab for a cough.
A culture is done to see what bacteria may be causing the problem. It doesn't just look for strep throat.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
And what are those??

I'll be going back tomorrow, and wow, he'll be hearing it from me...
They swab the throat and send it to the Lab to see what bacteria may be causing your problem. Then the correct antibiotic can be prescribed.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
A culture is done to see what bacteria may be causing the problem. It doesn't just look for strep throat.
Sorry but throat swabs are not routinely done for someone with a chief complaint of "cough"

You aren't going to isolate bacteria from the throat causing "cough"

The only consideration would be whooping cough and even then the preferred method of detection is serology or if swabs are done, nasopharyngeal swabs,not throat.

The primary reason for a doing a throat swab is a chief complaint of "sore throat" to identify strep.

There is no logical reason to do throat swabs on someone with a cough. Won't help with diagnosis or treatment.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM

Well I went back to clinic and a different doctor saw me this time. This time I was prescribed the same medicine, along with Sinus Rinse (salt water) and Nasonex. The cough has something to do with my nose. My cough also gets worse whenever I drink anything cold, so I can only have hot drinks until my cough goes away.

I can't wait til this cough goes away. I'm gonna celebrate with a huge glass of ice cold water!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine