Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Wow, I can't believe I finally found something you said that I can agree with, I think there is hope for you after all, lol!

For me it's mostly magnesium, a common cause of "restless leg syndrome" too, but I do try to keep all the electrolytes in balance as the lack of any of them, including sodium, can cause such cramps. Magnesium is a must to take if one is taking calcium supplements for bone health, but too many people do not do this and they end up with the cramps, as magnesium works in the contraction phase of muscles and magnesium in the relaxing phase.

Years ago when my sister began having them I recommended potassium and for her that was the "magic bullet", but then magnesium and potassium work very closely together, and in people with hypothyroidism, for example, the pathways for their absorption are hindered by lack of the hormone T3.
I'm glad your sister found the answer. That cramping can be excruciating. Potassium alone didn't help me much. It wasn't until I took all those mentioned before all the cramping stopped. So I apparently also lacked Selenium. Our Dr is not an Alt Dr but believes in trying something natural before handing out a prescription for drugs. I do take a med for my hypothyroidism. I've been on it for 15 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I'm glad your sister found the answer. That cramping can be excruciating. Potassium alone didn't help me much. It wasn't until I took all those mentioned before all the cramping stopped. So I apparently also lacked Selenium. Our Dr is not an Alt Dr but believes in trying something natural before handing out a prescription for drugs. I do take a med for my hypothyroidism. I've been on it for 15 years now.
The interaction of minerals and vitamins is kind of complicated. My sister and I have taken various supplements for years so perhaps that's why she only needed to add potassium. I've been taking selenium and Vit. E on/off for a very long time, also calcium and magnesium and small mounts of potassium in tablet form, but quite a few years ago I "graduated" to powder form to get more and avoid the fillers. Selenium plays an important role in the thyroid, and Vit. E in muscle health. I have an unstable thyroid (Hashi's) and I've read the magnesium/potassium imbalance is common in hipothyroidism. My sister had a tumor in her pituitary removed and after that had to take thyroid meds, well, at first "everything", all her hormones were out of whack for a good while.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Selenium plays an important role in the thyroid, and Vit. E in muscle health. I have an unstable thyroid (Hashi's) and I've read the magnesium/potassium imbalance is common in hipothyroidism.
I too suffer from hypothyroidism and have been on meds (Levothyroxin) for probably 15 years now.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM

54 posts, read 105,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
This worked for me and was recommended by a Dr, not a Alt Med. The cramps I had were very painful, making my calves rock hard and sore for a few days afterward. I would have to get out of bed and try to "walk them off." Dreadful.

After dinner I took the recommended dose of Selenium and Vitamin E.

Also the rec' dose of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

No more leg cramps and no drugs needed.
The blood test at the Dr. is a good idea to see which mineral you are low in, and adjust a dose. I was low in magnesium. Loading up on potassium & calcium isn't always a good thing if you have clogged artery's. I suspect, judging from the OPs pseudo-name, alcohol is depleting his minerals.

I put 2 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water, and drink about 30 minutes before bed time. The Tonic water works because it has quinine in it. Keep a supply of Highland brand cramp pills for emergency's

Here are some more things to try. I suggest you research it yourself, as these are notes.

Apple Cider Vinegar 2-4 tbs at night (honey)
Vitamin E has also been said to help minimize cramp occurrence.
Supplemental magnesium may be very beneficial for some.
Calcium intake of at least 1 gram daily is reasonable.
Calcium & Magnisium at bed time
Potassium
Sodium Electrolyte repletion (sodium and potassium)
Quinine Tonic Water has Quinine in it
A Bar of Soap by legs in bed or socks
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Dill Pickle juice (salt & vinegar mix?)
Teaspoon yellow mustard 3-6 teaspoons a day

Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinning View Post
The blood test at the Dr. is a good idea to see which mineral you are low in, and adjust a dose. I was low in magnesium. Loading up on potassium & calcium isn't always a good thing if you have clogged artery's. I suspect, judging from the OPs pseudo-name, alcohol is depleting his minerals.
His/her insurance may not cover such tests. I doubt mine (Medicare) would cover it. People do need to take calcium as most of us don't get enough in our diets. That can lead to some serious osteoporosis as we age.

Quote:
I put 2 table spoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water, and drink about 30 minutes before bed time. The Tonic water works because it has quinine in it. Keep a supply of Highland brand cramp pills for emergency's
OMG! Drink diluted vinegar? I would vomit. Even the smell of vinegar is sickening to some of us. The supplements I take now don't make me sick, are inexpensive and have no calories.

Quote:
Here are some more things to try. I suggest you research it yourself, as these are notes.

Apple Cider Vinegar 2-4 tbs at night (honey)
Vitamin E has also been said to help minimize cramp occurrence.
Supplemental magnesium may be very beneficial for some.
Calcium intake of at least 1 gram daily is reasonable.
Calcium & Magnisium at bed time
Potassium
Sodium Electrolyte repletion (sodium and potassium)
Quinine Tonic Water has Quinine in it
A Bar of Soap by legs in bed or socks
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Dill Pickle juice (salt & vinegar mix?)
Teaspoon yellow mustard 3-6 teaspoons a day
It's a lot cheaper and easier to take the supplements.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:36 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Supplements can be toxic to one's system if they are not used properly, they are also quite expensive and some cannot afford to pay that price with limited incomes.

Some of the things listed are easily found, quickly mixed if necessary and are inexpensive, especially if you are able to split the cost with someone else who may be looking for an alternative to high priced supplements.

There is also the consideration of the ingredients in supplements, if you are on a prescribed medication, one or more of the ingredients in a "One Daily" vitamin or supplement can and will interfere with "some" prescribed medications. Some natural ingredients will as well however, with individual ingredients mixed yourself you have the control to eliminate what you do not need to and use only what you do need that will not interfere with your prescribed medication AND what your Primary Care Physician approves.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Eat bannanas drink OJ for pottasium
This is a good suggestion as long as the person isn't overweight. Both have a lot of calories.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,438 times
Default my dr rec. quinine water

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellendc View Post
Agreed, make sure it has quinine in it. Drink 6-8oz an hour before bed. Works!!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka1 View Post
Whats a good remedy for leg calf Cramp issue?

Seem to happen in the early hours in the morning, most of the time I can catch it and standup and it goes away--- for a while anyway.
one magnesium, and one calcium before bed.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Talking lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The soap trick does work, and I was the biggest sceptic. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, because what did I have to lose? Sure enough, it helped tremendously. Before anyone attributes this to a placebo effect, the cramps did come back with a vengeance. Upon investigation, it turns out that the soap had slipped out from underneath the bottom sheet and was lying under the bed.
I did some research and some doctors suggest that it's the sodium in soap that somehow contributes to the relief.

(In any case, it can't possibly hurt)
I'm going to try this, this weekend. My S/O already thinks I'm a lunatic for all the salves/oils/potions and such that I impose on our home...one more lump under the sheet won't even be noticed...LOL... then, WHEN it works I'll remove it and serve it on a platter... I love my little collection of notions and creams that cure anything and everything... we never have a sick pet which includes dogs/cats/birds and a 1400 lb
horse. Who can afford vet bills and our home is healthy and very happy... I've only been asked once what our dogs were drinking... I said 'Tea'...that was the end of that conversation.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine