Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,797,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Maybe it could make more sense if you thought of UV rays combining with certain substances in our skin to create free radicals that disrupt the cell's structure even to the point of damaging the DNA.

Studies have been conducted about how anti-oxidants could prevent this damage from occurring, some have been "inconclusive" but I'm sure research is being continued. I first read about it in Jordan Rubin's book "The Maker's Diet" where he said the sun was NOT the problem but people's faulty diets, there's been an increase of melanoma and other cancer as diet quality has decreased. The body which is constantly being assaulted by so many different external "threats", very often doesn't get all the raw materials it really needs to defend itself, so first some cells are damaged, then big areas of tissue, then an entire organ or several of them, and thus some types of illness are produced.
Could be. That skin cancer developed 3 years ago when I was sick all winter with a virus that left me with fibromyalgia, My immune system was low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM

17,574 posts, read 39,253,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Maybe it could make more sense if you thought of UV rays combining with certain substances in our skin to create free radicals that disrupt the cell's structure even to the point of damaging the DNA.

Studies have been conducted about how anti-oxidants could prevent this damage from occurring, some have been "inconclusive" but I'm sure research is being continued. I first read about it in Jordan Rubin's book "The Maker's Diet" where he said the sun was NOT the problem but people's faulty diets, there's been an increase of melanoma and other cancer as diet quality has decreased. The body which is constantly being assaulted by so many different external "threats", very often doesn't get all the raw materials it really needs to defend itself, so first some cells are damaged, then big areas of tissue, then an entire organ or several of them, and thus some types of illness are produced.
Yes, I read about this as well in the book "Over-the-Counter Natural Cures" by Shane Ellison, M.S. It's in one of the first chapters of the book. We actually NEED the sun every day, it's like a vitamin, and of course we all know it makes Vitamin D for us in our bodies. Anyway, he talks about free radicals and "oxygen shock" - it's too much to get into here, but this is an interesting book if anyone should care to read it. He basically recommends natural supplements for all types of conditions.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 PM

105 posts, read 130,274 times
Cocoa (eaten) has been shown to be UV protective.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravooms View Post
Cocoa (eaten) has been shown to be UV protective.

Long-term ingestion of high flavanol cocoa provides p... [J Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI Hmmm, seems to be some truth to that. I sure wouldn't rely on it and you'd probably have to eat a lot of cocoa powder but it's still interesting.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...e_as_Sunscreen

and tomatoes too. It's the dark chocolate that we keep hearing about and a person could eat the amount that would protect their skin yet not gain weight IF the type of chocolate used in the experiment were made available. As of the time this article was written, it was not available for people to purchase.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-05-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM

For sunscreen, I prefer blockers like zinc oxide (non-nano) rather than the ones that absorb into the skin. Eco makes one for the face and one for body - excellent quality. Badger makes a really good lip balm with non-nano blockers.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,850,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I read about this as well in the book "Over-the-Counter Natural Cures" by Shane Ellison, M.S. It's in one of the first chapters of the book. We actually NEED the sun every day, it's like a vitamin, and of course we all know it makes Vitamin D for us in our bodies. Anyway, he talks about free radicals and "oxygen shock" - it's too much to get into here, but this is an interesting book if anyone should care to read it. He basically recommends natural supplements for all types of conditions.
How does Ellison explain people who live near the poles, where there is no direct sun for months at a time and even if there were, they'd be crazy to expose their skin to it when the temperatures fall into the single digits and colder, throughout the 8-month winter season? Surely without *daily* sun exposure they'd be horribly sick, disfigured, filling up hospitals with their dead and dying. But - that isn't happening. So how is that explained?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravooms View Post
For sunscreen, I prefer blockers like zinc oxide (non-nano) rather than the ones that absorb into the skin. Eco makes one for the face and one for body - excellent quality. Badger makes a really good lip balm with non
nano blockers.
That's very interesting to me because I just bought a little container of sun block and the only ingredient listed in zinc oxide. It's supposed to be for the face but I don't think it would make any difference if you used it on your arms and hands or anywhere else. I bought the CVS brand.

I prefer to not have any extra junk in it that would be absorbed. I know the CVS brand must have more than just zinc oxide because it's in a cream form. So far, so good though. I'll check out those other brands but I just got the CVS out of convenience and to have something for now.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-05-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
How does Ellison explain people who live near the poles, where there is no direct sun for months at a time and even if there were, they'd be crazy to expose their skin to it when the temperatures fall into the single digits and colder, throughout the 8-month winter season? Surely without *daily* sun exposure they'd be horribly sick, disfigured, filling up hospitals with their dead and dying. But - that isn't happening. So how is that explained?
I think "we" need the sun, we who live in a temperate climate and eat the way we do. But people like the Eskimos lived on a diet that provided the nutrients they needed. They lived mostly on fatty fish and seals and walrus and they got their vitamin D that way.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's very interesting to me because I just bought a little container of sun block and the only ingredient listed in zinc oxide. It's supposed to be for the face but I don't think it would make any difference if you used it on your arms and hands or anywhere else. I bought the CVS brand.

I prefer to not have any extra junk in it that would be absorbed. I know the CVS brand must have more than just zinc oxide because it's in a cream form. So far, so good though. I'll check out those other brands but I just got the CVS out of convenience and to have something for now.
It definitely has inactive ingredients. Maybe there's a peel-off label?

I found Eco and Badger at Whole Foods and Sprouts. The Eco is expensive, but it's good stuff. It's also 'reef safe' and biodegradable.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,850,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think "we" need the sun, we who live in a temperate climate and eat the way we do. But people like the Eskimos lived on a diet that provided the nutrients they needed. They lived mostly on fatty fish and seals and walrus and they got their vitamin D that way.
I'm not talking about ancestors. I'm talking about people who live there currently, in cities and towns, with real actual houses and heating systems, indoor plumbing, restaurants, where people don't have to hunt for their meals (though some do). Moderator cut: You are continuing to drive this thread off topic. A little bit of ordinary drifting is okay but not to entirely change the subject. If you would like to discuss this topic, you are welcome to start another thread about it.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-06-2013 at 07:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine