Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,275 times

Advertisements

I still don't see why her guidance has to be considered unreliable. She's biased, yes, with regards to fragrances in skincare. And perhaps the studies she cites are reactions on test tube cells instead of living tissue, I don't know. But I still think she gives better advice, though she might be prone to exaggeration, than any other beauty resource that I know of. At least I think it's more credible than user reviews of products on drugstore or makeupalley.

If you know a more credible and comprehensive source for skin care advice please share. And please don't say see your dermatologist because mine tries to sell overpriced skin care lines to me and I am totally on PB's side on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I still don't see why her guidance has to be considered unreliable. She's biased, yes, with regards to fragrances in skincare. And perhaps the studies she cites are reactions on test tube cells instead of living tissue, I don't know. But I still think she gives better advice, though she might be prone to exaggeration, than any other beauty resource that I know of. At least I think it's more credible than user reviews of products on drugstore or makeupalley.

If you know a more credible and comprehensive source for skin care advice please share. And please don't say see your dermatologist because mine tries to sell overpriced skin care lines to me and I am totally on PB's side on that one.
As I said, there are *hundreds* of more credible and comprehensive sources for ingredients. In case you missed it, this thread is about natural *recipes* - meaning, making your own stuff. That requires the use of raw ingredients. If you want product information, go to the beauty forum - there's tons of threads about different products.

I used to make this stuff for a living, and still make it as a hobbyist. I'd say *I* am a more credible resource for essential oils than Paula's website, but I get my information from credible comprehensive sources for ingredients. So my expertise is really the expertise of *hundreds* of credible and comprehensive sources for ingredients.

I already said that - and I won't be listing hundreds of links here. I've listed many links in the Essential Oil/Aromatherapy threads; you can refer there if you want.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:18 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As I said, there are *hundreds* of more credible and comprehensive sources for ingredients. In case you missed it, this thread is about natural *recipes* - meaning, making your own stuff. That requires the use of raw ingredients. If you want product information, go to the beauty forum - there's tons of threads about different products.

I used to make this stuff for a living, and still make it as a hobbyist. I'd say *I* am a more credible resource for essential oils than Paula's website, but I get my information from credible comprehensive sources for ingredients. So my expertise is really the expertise of *hundreds* of credible and comprehensive sources for ingredients.

I already said that - and I won't be listing hundreds of links here. I've listed many links in the Essential Oil/Aromatherapy threads; you can refer there if you want.
Ok, thanks. I'll stick with beautypedia since that is the only source out there that gives me what i am looking for, which is easy access to information on a comprehensive skin care routine with professionally made products. I am not in the right forum or thread to discuss the pros and cons of beautypedia but our discussion did start off sort of related to natural ingredients.

I am not questioning your credentials but as this is an anonymous forum (and your profile is more anonymous than most) there's no way I or anyone else can verify your expertise. And that goes for relying on anonymous posters in the beauty forum too.

I'm not trying to be offensive ... For a while I was mixing my own skin lotions; olive oil coq10 jojoba oil into sunscreen etc but thought I'd be better off looking for a professional product made by a company who knows more than what I did about skincare.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Olive oil (organic virgin cold-pressed), externally and internally, great for skin and hair.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:25 AM

3 posts, read 1,312 times
Drink lots of water and do not use too many chemicals on skin. A nice sleep is also helpful in making skin beautiful.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:11 PM

389 posts, read 692,288 times
Olive oil plus mayo makes a great deep conditioner when applied to the hair for 20-60 mins.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
One of my favorite oils for skin conditioning is sweet almond. It is very light and non-greasy, has no odor (that I can detect) and makes skin incredibly soft. I wash my face with it, and it is great for removing eye makeup. I use coconut oil for protection in the sun, and it also makes a good body cleanser. I never use soap anymore, just oil I have also been using argan oil, and it's good but frankly for the price I find it overrated. The almond does just as good a job.

Anyway since I have been using these oils I have been getting a lot of compliments on how great my skin looks and how young I am looking. I do also drink a lot of water.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
I like almond oil too, and I also use avocado. Right now use apricot kernel oil. Almond is light, apricot a little heavier. Avocado is heavier still and seems a little sticky at first, but lasts longer. I plan to try more kinds.

I buy them in bulk (half-gallon or gallon sizes) here. This site is nice because it has little videos explaining the properties of each kind of oil:

Soap Making Supplies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine