Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
What type of magnesium you guys are referring to? Are magnesium oxide and magnesium gluconate the right kind to take? Also what is the optimal daily dosage, 250 mg, 500 mg or 750 mg? How can one find out how much to take daily to get effective result?

I've been suffering from serious sleep disorder for an extensive period of time. I've been taking magnesium on daily basis as alternative treatment but the result is not as dramatic. I'm wondering if there is a formula I should follow.
Magnesium oxide isn't one of the well absorbed forms. I've taken mag. glycinate, maleate, ascorbate and I've experimented with the right dosage. But your sleep disorder may not be due to lack of magesium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,330 times
Thanks for the info, IN. How did you determine your right dosage? I'm trying to identify an effective way to do mine without being overdosed. As for my sleep disorder, I have yet to find out the root cause. It is way too complicated. I am taking magnesium and herbal medicine as alternative treatment for now.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM

I'm taking 800 mg mag. asporotate. It says 100% daily value. (composed of mag. aspartate, mag. citrate, mag. orotate, mag. oxide.)

Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 AM

Thanks again, IN. What are the top brands for mag. that provide that best quality? Would you recommend brand like GNC or Jamerson?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Thanks again, IN. What are the top brands for mag. that provide that best quality? Would you recommend brand like GNC or Jamerson?
I'm no expert but two brands that I have right now are Solaray and Solgar. The Solgar is Mag. citrate--but they are "horse pills" and are hard.

I think I've also had Source Naturals. There are a lot of good brands and different formulations. I've also tried mag. malate, and mag. glycinate. You might get some ideas of quality brands by looking on here:

magnesium - Vitacost

One thing that I try to consider is how well it will be absorbed--maybe that is different for everyone, I don't know. Apparently an acidic environment helps with absorption so I go for the citrate (citrus) or a brand that contains some of the citrate. Magnesium probably uses up stomach acid so unless you have a citrate form it's best to take it away from meals. I often take it with orange juice to get the acidity. (Meals require stomach acid for digestion so you don't want to take magnesium and use it up.) If anyone else understands this better, please feel free to add. My doctors are never quite sure.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Thanks IN for the link and helpful info. I'll research a bit.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:22 AM

566 posts, read 1,106,929 times
From the Magnesium Miracle book by Dr. Carolyn Dean -

Organic bone meal is a rich source of magnesium (organic, grass-fed cattle)

Chelated magnesium, bound to organic amino acids is far better absorbed than magnesium oxide but is more expensive. (She says that Dr. Russell Blaylock warns that magnesium asparate may off the body too much aspartic acid, an amino acid that causes brain stimulation; he recommends avoidance)

Magnesium citrate best buy for general use. approx 900mg daily.

Remember, she says, when you first begin taking supplements you may need a high amount to remedy an existing deficiency. Your stools will tell you. if you take a multivitamin/mineral supplement to count it in daily totals.

Be careful if you are taking calcium, too. (She claims there is media-generated hype about taking calcium. Good time to discuss with either a physician or a registered dietician/nutritionist that really knows nutrition)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine