Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times

Advertisements

Well, here it is, almost winter and the building I work in dries out my nostrils. Then I get nose bleeds. Not bad nose bleeds ... only noticeable when I blow my nose, there is a little blood in the mucus. The atmosphere is very dry in this building. I don't have this problem in my own home. The dried mucus/blood solidifies inside my nostril and then I get the urge to pick it! Disgusting I know!! But there's dried gunk inside my nose!!

Can anyone give me good advice?

Right now what I'm doing is wetting a couple of paper towels with cold water from the drinking fountain and hold the moist cold towels up to me nose and face. This gives me temporary relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
I just saw a commercial on TV recently about this inhaler.

Kinda pricey, but may be worth it to you.

Amazon.com: MyPurMist® Handheld Steam Inhaler / Steam Vaporizer / Personal Steam Inhaler: Health & Personal Care

Old 12-03-2013, 08:14 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Vegetable glycerin, available everywhere, is safe to use in the nostrils. But do NOT use anything with a petroleum base (like Vaseline, Vicks Vapo-Rub). It can work its way to the lungs and cause lipoid pneumonia.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Or a little coconut oil. And yeah, I wouldn't use the petroleum products either. You and your co-workers could probably chip in and buy a mist machine or whatever they call them or even a mini crockpot that stays on all the time. Anything to get water evaporating.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:00 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Get a saline nasal spray. Not Afrin! A basic nasal spray can be used as often as needed without fear of addiction. Spray when your nose feels dry. Many building rules prevent the use of individual heaters. I would stay away from anything that plugs into the electrical system at work.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Some kind of natural oil like has been already mentioned plus a tiny bit of Tiger balm and my nose is great in any environment. The tiger blam keep the passages clear right down to my toes. LOL

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Some kind of natural oil like has been already mentioned plus a tiny bit of Tiger balm and my nose is great in any environment. The tiger blam keep the passages clear right down to my toes. LOL
Tiger Balm is petroleum based, therefore, not recommended.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,972 times
Keep the environment as humid as you can. It'll keep your nostrils moist. I suffer from the same issue and when that happens, I usually just wet my nose, hold my head down and let myself bleed till it stops. From there, I'll use an edible oil, like coconut oil someone mentioned. This might sound really nasty and you might not want to do this in front of anyone, but use a wet tampon and put it up your nose. It absorbs all the blood.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
You shouldn't put Tiger Balm or any other camphorated or metholated substance -in- your nostril, but a tiny dab outside of it won't hurt and can help open the nasal passages. I wouldn't do even that much though, if I had asthma.

A little coconut oil or even olive oil just inside the nostrils can be helpful. I wouldn't go out and buy coconut oil though, because I already keep olive oil in my kitchen cabinet since I use it for cooking and salads.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:17 PM

334 posts, read 716,229 times
OP,
Before I had surgery on my sinuses, I had to use a lot of Flonase which really dried my nose out. I used a ointment product called AYR which helped a lot with the dryness. You might want to add that to your list of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine