Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 06:01 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I really hate this "blaming the victim" mentality that the self help movement created. "Clean living" certainly helps, but it will not overrule genetics and those environmental factors that are beyond our control. (Which are many I'm sorry to report.)
Well you know, I am the "victim" here and I don't feel blamed by anyone--I don't even blame myself. But I can look back on my life and see patterns that fed into making a body ripe for cancer to grow and now that I am learning about things I can do to help myself, I feel empowered, not blamed.

The thing is, most of us don't spend a lot of time thinking, "I should do this so I don't get cancer," or "I'd better stop eating sugar b/c it won't be good for my body and I might get cancer." I mean, we all know what we should do but often aren't motivated to make the real changes until it's too late, and in my case with sugar, I was too addicted to stop for long.

The problem with thinking that it's genetics or other forces beyond our control is that we give up any responsibility for our own health. Yes, it is more difficult to stay healthy in such a polluted environment, but it turns out there are many ways to cleanse your body--ways that are often looked down upon with derision by those on here who think altmed is for quacks and naive sweet innocents eager to part with their money. And despite having a family history full of cancer I really don't think there is a direct genetic connection--at least they've never been able to find one, except for a few gene mutations in the minority of cases, like BRCA1 and 2 in the case of breast and prostate cancer. There seems to be some connection, but what they have found is that adopted children get cancer at the same rates as their adoptive families, so it would seem to be at least somewhat lifestyle related.

I've been looking at the MTHFR genetic research, and it seems somewhat more likely that it's related to that. Cancer runs full in my family and so does B-12 deficiencies--there are many other health problems in my family as well and severe ones. Dad had juvenile diabetes, and there is adult diabetes, dementia, several kinds of cancer, you name it we've got it in our family, and oh yes, mental issues such as ADHD and autism. Oh, and allergies. I had them bad at one time--even meds didn't help, but after working with my holistic doc for 1.5 years, I am the only one not sniffling around here these last few weeks and that's not even what I went to go see him about--and I've not been taking any meds specifically for that. So I guess another really great thing I can say for holistic is it fixes a lot of your other problems as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 AM

19 posts, read 17,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
If you or someone you know was diagnosed with cancer, this is an amazing opportunity to take part on the in's and out's of The Gerson Therapy. If you've never heard of it, or if you have but want to know more, it's highly recommended that you look into what it's all about for those who want to take control of their health and begin to heal themselves.

This documentary goes into some detail about the therapy, which is called The Gerson Miracle.

For more information about The Gerson Therapy, click this link.

Thanks for sharing this.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:30 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
WE HAD A FRIEND WHO WENT TO gERSON...gEPT GETTING WORSE AND WORSE..FINALLY GAVE UP AND CAME home and died a horrible death

Old 05-07-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
WE HAD A FRIEND WHO WENT TO gERSON...gEPT GETTING WORSE AND WORSE..FINALLY GAVE UP AND CAME home and died a horrible death
And this proves. . . what? I am acquainted with a woman in her mid-fifties who is dying in great pain in the hospital right now with breast cancer and she has done nothing but conventional therapy. Thought she had it licked there for about a year. For some of us it is our time to go.

I'm going to tell you all now that it is absolutely pointless to try to talk "sense" into someone who has chosen holistic therapy for cancer or any other major disorder, if that's what they have their mind made up to do. There are many factors that may go into this, but the long and short of it is that a patient must believe in their therapy. Before you dismiss this as new age woo woo, I must remind you of the placebo effect--it's very strong, and there is the nocebo effect too--if you believe the tx will hurt you, it probably will. You must believe in your doctor, in your treatment plan, and in the medications you take. For me, it was a no-brainer. I've always been Ms. Natural, though I don't look much like a hippie, and then I saw the photos of my aunt while she was burning up after chemo. I've had bad reactions to anesthesia, and for me to lose any more brainpower with the ADHD going on made me realize that while I love my life, I have my limits and it would not be worth living if I couldn't work at what I love, and I was already on the edge of being unable to keep my job, or so I perceived it at the time. So, if I die next year, all of this will still have been worth it. Every minute of my life has been richer and more enjoyable since the dx and I wouldn't change a thing. Sounds nuts doesn't it?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:08 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And this proves. . . what? I am acquainted with a woman in her mid-fifties who is dying in great pain in the hospital right now with breast cancer and she has done nothing but conventional therapy. Thought she had it licked there for about a year. For some of us it is our time to go.

I'm going to tell you all now that it is absolutely pointless to try to talk "sense" into someone who has chosen holistic therapy for cancer or any other major disorder, if that's what they have their mind made up to do. There are many factors that may go into this, but the long and short of it is that a patient must believe in their therapy. Before you dismiss this as new age woo woo, I must remind you of the placebo effect--it's very strong, and there is the nocebo effect too--if you believe the tx will hurt you, it probably will. You must believe in your doctor, in your treatment plan, and in the medications you take. For me, it was a no-brainer. I've always been Ms. Natural, though I don't look much like a hippie, and then I saw the photos of my aunt while she was burning up after chemo. I've had bad reactions to anesthesia, and for me to lose any more brainpower with the ADHD going on made me realize that while I love my life, I have my limits and it would not be worth living if I couldn't work at what I love, and I was already on the edge of being unable to keep my job, or so I perceived it at the time. So, if I die next year, all of this will still have been worth it. Every minute of my life has been richer and more enjoyable since the dx and I wouldn't change a thing. Sounds nuts doesn't it?
I am sorry about your friend, but I could counter with stories about women who were treated with conventional therapy and are doing great, including my aunt and my mother in law, both of whom are over ninety years old and treated years ago.

It is one thing to decide you do not want conventional therapy. It is quite another to support a treatment that is clearly ineffective and potentially dangerous, as the Gerson treatment is, just because it falls into the category of "alternative."

The cases Gerson claimed he "cured" could not be confirmed when outside reviewers looked at them.

This is one "alternative" that should be scrapped but refuses to die because it is so lucrative and people who are dying get desperate.

We're not talking about taking herbs and vitamins here.

http://gerson.org/pdfs/Cost-Estimate...on-Therapy.pdf

By the way:

"We recommend purchasing a second refrigerator due to the large amounts of produce Gerson
patients need to consume and store"

Old 05-07-2015, 10:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Quote:

I wish you the best, and I admire you for doing what you think is right/best - don't they call it informed consent? LOL! What more can one ask?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:49 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
Oh, just a side note, a co-worker just went to Wiemar Institute (vegan) - and one side-effect, was off BP meds on day 3. He was amazed. He's a 'meat and potatoes' guy. The alt med things are..... hum, just kind of amazing in some ways.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Oh, just a side note, a co-worker just went to Wiemar Institute (vegan) - and one side-effect, was off BP meds on day 3. He was amazed. He's a 'meat and potatoes' guy. The alt med things are..... hum, just kind of amazing in some ways.
Diet for hypertension is ... hum, just kind of the first thing discussed in conventional medicine.

2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk

"A healthy lifestyle is important in the prevention of CVD, the leading cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. The intent of the Lifestyle Work Group (Work Group) was to evaluate evidence that particular dietary patterns, nutrient intake, and levels and types of physical activity can play a major role in CVD prevention and treatment through effects on modifiable CVD risk factors (ie, blood pressure [BP] and lipids). These ESs and recommendations may be used as appropriate in the management of hypercholesterolemia and hypertension. The target audience of the report is primary care providers."

"We reviewed data exclusively on dietary intake rather than nutritional supplements provided in pharmaceutical preparations (eg, potassium pills), because nutritional supplements may not have similar effects and are not considered 'lifestyle' interventions."

Recommendations summarized here:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/...6/T5.large.jpg

Treatment guide here.

JAMA Network | JAMA | 2014 Evidence-Based Guideline for the Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: *Report From the Panel Members Appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)

See the figure for the 2014 treatment algorithm:

First step says "Implement lifestyle interventions (continue throughout management)"

I wonder how many times your co-worker was told to modify his diet and exercise by his doctor and just did not do it?

Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:

You sound perfectly sane to me. There are risks involved in any treatment and I think it's great that you are doing what works for you. And it does sound like it's working. You are a smart lady, that is clear from your posts. Your certainly have my respect.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I am sorry about your friend, but I could counter with stories about women who were treated with conventional therapy and are doing great, including my aunt and my mother in law, both of whom are over ninety years old and treated years ago.

It is one thing to decide you do not want conventional therapy. It is quite another to support a treatment that is clearly ineffective and potentially dangerous, as the Gerson treatment is, just because it falls into the category of "alternative."

The cases Gerson claimed he "cured" could not be confirmed when outside reviewers looked at them.

This is one "alternative" that should be scrapped but refuses to die because it is so lucrative and people who are dying get desperate.

We're not talking about taking herbs and vitamins here.

http://gerson.org/pdfs/Cost-Estimate...on-Therapy.pdf

By the way:

"We recommend purchasing a second refrigerator due to the large amounts of produce Gerson
patients need to consume and store"
And I could counter with stories of folks who've done fantastically well on holistic treatments, some of which would cause the scientist in you to roll your eyes till they run dry, and yet, every day new studies do come in that support some or much of the efficacy of these treatments. I don't really see where gerson is dangerous unless you "miss" with the enema wand and stab yourself in the anal wall, but there is that risk with any enema, and again, they sell enemas at the drugstore so any goof can buy them. Perhaps a risk could come to someone who really does need to eat meat and this one is vegetarian which is why I decided against it. That and the fact that it's so time consuming.

Yes, the gerson therapy is expensive, but I'm betting 2 wks in the hospital would set you back more than that and you'd be eating crap food and the quality of care would not be as good, because if there's one thing holistic docs understand, it's that you need to feel good about what you're doing. By contrast, it felt horrible to walk into the siteman cancer clinic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine