Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 01:08 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,522,491 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, do any of you guys have any strange remedies for problems that you have in your life?

For example: one way that I like to get rid of pink eye is that I like to warm up lipton tea for my eye and place it on my eye and wait for the heat or the juice to clear it up. So far it has been known to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,274,173 times
I had a cyst on my face diagnosed by a dermatologist.

I went home and rubbed dead sea salt I had bought previously in a mall kiosk on it, it virtually disappeared within a fortnight.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,746,880 times
For poison ivy, take a swim in the ocean. Dries it right up.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:03 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,697,623 times
Strong ginger tea made from ginger root for motion/sea-sickness--without the sleepiness motion sickness pills can cause.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:41 AM

128 posts, read 208,132 times
Sure: For Late Periods or when you need to get them earlier: Take a Hot Bath and add a generous amount of SALT. (This is an old fashioned italian remedy handed down to me from my Great Grandmother) Bless her heart. It works every time.

Hot water and 2 tsp of Sugar: Wonderful for Blocked Gas, heartburn, and other stomach ailments.

Hot Prune Juice (Make it as hot as a cup of coffee) For stubborn constipation. Also 10 dried apricots works wonders.

Chamomile tea is great for all kinds of stomach issues and a double tea bag mug of it, will lower your high blood pressure. Also works great if you are feeling dizzy.

Sprained ankle pain: Whip 6 egg whites very stiff until light and fluffy and place in a towel. Gently wrap around your ankle and leave it on there for 1/2 hour...just put your foot up so the towel stays on your ankle. By the next morning you will be able to walk. (Don't know how this works!)

Poison Ivy: Buy Preperation H Cooling Gel....apply to poison ivy. Works Fast! And stops the itching by coating it with a soothing gel that dries to your skin.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM

165 posts, read 189,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemoangel View Post
Sure: For Late Periods or when you need to get them earlier: Take a Hot Bath and add a generous amount of SALT. (This is an old fashioned italian remedy handed down to me from my Great Grandmother) Bless her heart. It works every time.

Hot water and 2 tsp of Sugar: Wonderful for Blocked Gas, heartburn, and other stomach ailments.

Hot Prune Juice (Make it as hot as a cup of coffee) For stubborn constipation. Also 10 dried apricots works wonders.

Chamomile tea is great for all kinds of stomach issues and a double tea bag mug of it, will lower your high blood pressure. Also works great if you are feeling dizzy.

Sprained ankle pain: Whip 6 egg whites very stiff until light and fluffy and place in a towel. Gently wrap around your ankle and leave it on there for 1/2 hour...just put your foot up so the towel stays on your ankle. By the next morning you will be able to walk. (Don't know how this works!)

Poison Ivy: Buy Preperation H Cooling Gel....apply to poison ivy. Works Fast! And stops the itching by coating it with a soothing gel that dries to your skin.
Any suggestions for something to take orally for a sprained ankle? I'm stuck in a cast with a fracture and severely sprained ankle. The twisted knee doesn't feel much better than my foot.

The pain medicine I'm on makes me too high, for lack of a better word, and I'm sleeping way too much from it. Would prefer something that is natural, that helps with the pain, but doesn't make me feel 'out of it'. With the cast, I can't put anything on it topically.

If you can think of something, it would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,384,902 times
Default Foot cramps at night

I tend to get rather intense cramps in my feet at night when I get in bed if I've been "bad" and not worn my heavy duty hiking boots with the custom orthotics in them for several days, which I do too often since I'm retired and some days I don't leave the house (shlep around all day in slippers). When one or both feet cramp up the only thing that stretched out the muscles was to get up out of bed and slowly put my weight on my foot, rolling from the outside edge to being fully on the floor. When I have a night like this it tends to recur many times during the night.

I recently mentioned this to my podiatrist, he said he had the same issue and then he told me a solution that a patient had told him about. He thought it sounded off the wall but figured it would not do any harm so he tried it himself. Pickle juice, about a teaspoon full. He had some pickles in the house and poured off a bit of the juice into a container and kept it by his bedside. The next time he experienced the cramping he took a small sip and it did the trick almost instantly. He could not explain why it worked, only that it did and now he swears by it.

I bought some pickles, kosher dills, and have a small container of juice by my bedside but so far have not needed it. I can assume that it will happen again in the not too distant future. When it does I'll report back on whether or not this "treatment" helps me.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:19 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,820,887 times
zugor, another thing you might want to try is to make a 1/2 n 1/2 mix of epsom salts with water and keep in a spray bottle by the bed. At night before you go to sleep spray your feet. Some people do this absent any foot problems b/c they swear it helps them sleep. Turns out Mg is easier absorbed thru your skin than by pills.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM

90 posts, read 129,080 times
I'm not sure how "strange" this technique is, since it has its roots in ancient Chinese acupressure and acupuncture, but here is a method that I have been using to alleviate headaches for years, and it has never failed me. Also, everyone I have ever turned on to it have also experienced good results; even those suffering from migranes.
Next time you have a headache take the thumb of one hand--it doesn't matter which--and manipulate the bone socket at inside base of the thumb on the other hand. Feel that little bone notch right down there where the metatarsal bone extending down from the base of the index finger meets the bone below the base of your thumb. Press and move you thumb in little circles, as hard as you can without causing more than mild pain. Do it for a minute or so.
Your headache should immediately begin to lessen and then be totally gone within five minutes. Voila!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM

26 posts, read 29,190 times
For strong menstrual cramps, Pineapple Juice and Turmeric. Both are natural anti inflammatories and help with circulation. The combination of both are strong benefactors in cramps/headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine