Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,050,370 times

Advertisements

I believe I suffer from computer vision syndrome. I use to be able to see anything far away with no problem. My opthamalogist said about 3 years ago that I'm gifted and will probably never have a problem with my far vision. Well now it is 3 years later and I have a problem.

It seems that the longer I'm exposed to short focus objects that I can't adjust as easily to long distance objects. I used to make the transition with no problem.

I believe that squinting is actually a good thing.

Hear me out for a moment - I think our eyes muscles need to be treated like the muscles we use for our arms for example. I think by squinting so often at close objects that I have created a problem where my long distance is suffering not that it should but because I'm not getting equal time squinting with my long distance focus it does. The goal is obviously to not have to focus much on either of them. Obvious the lens health plays a major role but apart from that the muscles should be able to compensate greatly for deficiencies in the lens (provided the lens can be brought to focus).

Case in point - I would use my computer most of the day and head out after work and find that street signs would be a bit doubled or blurry. But after driving for a bit it would go away. But why? - obviously because I was now focusing (squinting) on far objects and my eyes adjusted.

I notice now that my eyesight is worse at night where car lights are doubled vertically. (just the lights seemed to be doubled - streetlights - almost any light source) But as I get closer the doubling goes away.

Seems it would be beneficial here to cruch the short eyesight (meaning to use reading glasses) and make some time to find long distance objects that are hard to see and begin to SQUINT on them to strengthen the long distance vision.

That seems like it would help. I just don't completely know why light seems to have gotten brighter. I can undertand the refraction problem but maybe there is something to refraction that causes light to be brighter. And when it is brighter it seems a bit like the things around the light are therefore darker (I suspect this is due to the contrast being a bit greater).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 04:08 PM

I believe I MAY have found the source of the photophobia (sensitivity to bright light). First let me explain my symptoms of photophobia. As I said before I would work on the computer all day and by the time the evening came I noticed that lights were much brighter. So much so that my wife had to drive me around at night if I needed to go somewhere. The photophobia was manifesting with a doublevision aspect where car lights appear to have been doubled or sometimes trippled but definately light was also brighter - however it appeared that the light was not bright enough where there wasn't light. So last night my wife is driving and I noticed the lights are so bright (I use pinhole glasses to reduce the anxiety of it) but I had tension in my neck so I cracked my neck as I often do and immediately the bright lights went back to a far reduced state - very tolerable. I have a neck brace from previous neck issues so I wore it the whole day today and my vision has been much better. I hope to test out tonight again the dark and give a further update.

I know I did a lot of searching for photophobia solutions on the internet and didn't find any during my research that mentioned a posible connection. Also, I crack my neck because I get a pain/pressure right at the base of my skull on the back where it connects with the neck bones more to the right side.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,792,056 times
You only have one set of eyes. If it were me, I'd go to the ophthalmologist ASAP and get everything checked rather than trying to diagnose it yourself.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,797,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
You only have one set of eyes. If it were me, I'd go to the ophthalmologist ASAP and get everything checked rather than trying to diagnose it yourself.
^^^this. OP, see an ophthalmologist.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I have that scheduled already for first week of December.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Update - Last night was actually able to drive at night. Light was still bright but not as bright.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:10 PM

Another update. Was watching a moving with my wife earlier and felt a flushing feeling on the right side of my face between the ear and temple. Then later it felt very warm. I then could see far better than I have been. It was very exciting. I praise God that it is better.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:41 PM

711 posts, read 959,419 times
Praise the lord - hallelujah!!!
Cancel that appointment.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 AM

6,414 posts, read 6,319,383 times
Op, you are right about 3 things:

Focusing on distant objects is very good for your distance vision.
Staring at light for a long time will desensitize your light receptors.
Stress can have a negative impact on vision.

Still gotta make your appointment.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:19 PM

Ok, I went to the eye doctor today. And they said my eyes are good. Problem is that they are not good. They couldn't find a problem with them. However, I did not let them dialate my eyes because I drove there myself and had to leave as soon as I could as I didn't want to be driving when the car lights were all going to be on.

The eye doctor couldn't figure it out. I told her that I see double vision at times. She had me look at an eye chart that was really black lettering on a white background displayed on a large LED screen. I told her that I can see a shadow of the letters immediately above each letter. She thought it would go away if I closed one eye. It didn't and she was confused. She said it can't be double vision because it would go away with one eye closed. I said it doesn't. It happens in both eyes no matter if I close one I still get a double vertical object. Mostly with light but in this case the black letter looked like gray letters (like a shadow) immediately above each on on the screen.

I told her I didn't want me eye dialated because of the problem with bright lights that I'm having. Bright lights are bothersome for me but yet I feel that I have poor night vision at the same time.

They can't figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine