Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
LOL...I'm B- and used to donate all the time. I started having ill effects from it though. My body could not recover before the next cycle to donate, and I was constantly severely anemic. Had to stop donating for a while.

But yup...they called my home and cell ALL the time.
Unfortunately this has started to happen with myself in the last year. Due to continuous heavy workouts and regular blood donations I have developed "Runners Anemia" as it is known. Dr. said either to discontinue donating blood or supplement iron. I see my blood as being important to those in need so supp. with iron.

Ironic I originally donated blood to eliminate excess iron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
How do you find out your blood type? Do they test it when you're born? Would it be on my records anywhere, birth cert?
I didn't know what mine was until after I donated blood and received my donor card.

Quote:
LOL...I'm B- and used to donate all the time. I started having ill effects from it though. My body could not recover before the next cycle to donate, and I was constantly severely anemic. Had to stop donating for a while.

They are worse than telemarketers! I understand it's for a good cause, but geez! I didn't have to be pestered into donating the first time and I don't need to be pestered now.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:33 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:

same B-

I donated at Christmas and passed out shortly afterwards... I'm due again soon.... I think I'll try it again
I'm also a recipient of a blood transfusion after haemorrhaging during an operation as a child... I kind of feel like I should continue to repay that.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,939 times
o+

Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
O Negative.

The universal donor. Only able to receive O neg ourselves.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Same here and I only donated once five years ago. I'd like to donate again but I'm anemic. I've asked them to stop calling and they don't listen!
I can't donate either for the same reason.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I have O negative. Is that good or bad?
It is neither good or bad. You, and myself, are the "Universal Donors", meaning anyone who needs blood STAT, can get our blood type. On the other hand, if WE should need the blood, we need it "Type specific" meaning it must be O-Neg.
Blood banks are always wanting us to donate for the sheer fact of 'universal donor'. I used to also donate my platelets, on my lunch hour, and made a nice bit of extra cash doing that (at a large teaching hospital in Miami where they had the need).

Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
According to the American Red Cross: Population percentages of blood types in the USA

Caucasians African Americans Hispanic Asian
O+ 37% 47% 53% 39%
O - 8% 4% 4% 1%
A + 33% 24% 29% 27%
A - 7% 2% 2% 0.5%
B + 9% 18% 9% 25%
B - 2% 1% 1% 0.4%
AB + 3% 4% 2% 7%
AB - 1% 0.3% 0.2% 0.1%
Ah! 4%...It works for me!
I have also worked at a large teaching hospital ER and we have given on many occasions, O Neg blood, not typed specific, but it causes a LOT of extra paperwork for many departments and is always a life and death reason, usually massive trauma or some kind like GSW or chain saw. I have my O-NEG tattooed nicely on my forearm and sternum...just in case.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:17 PM

102 posts, read 132,255 times
I have no idea what mine is, how do I find out? I am a little curious.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:31 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I am O Positive. My husband is also O Positive. Our younger daughter is O Negative. How did that happen? While you may be Rh Positive, you can either be Rh++, Rh+-. It is very similar to two brown eyed parents having a blue eyed child, which is also the case with our daughter. Two Rh Negative parents can only have a Rh Negative child. Same with two blue eyed parents.

My SIL went and got his blood tested when my daughter was pregnant. He is Rh Negative. No problem. Baby can only be Rh Negative.

Never knew any of this. Just thought I would pass it on to other "Positive" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine