Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 PM

90 posts, read 69,822 times

Advertisements

https://soundcloud.com/medicalmedium...virus-revealed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 10:40 AM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Patients with shingles infection or lesions should avoid excess arginine (an amino acid) in their diet. Food sources of arginine to avoid include nuts and seeds, beans and lentils, soybeans and tofu, gelatin, canned tuna, chicken, egg, whole grain wheat flour, raw garlic and onion, and chocolate syrup.Jan 10, 2019
eMedicineHealth › article_em

Shedding of virus? By others? I wear a filtered face mask in public. Often. I just shrug at lookers and reply allergies. I'm allergic to germs.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:20 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
Patients with shingles infection or lesions should avoid excess arginine (an amino acid) in their diet. Food sources of arginine to avoid include nuts and seeds, beans and lentils, soybeans and tofu, gelatin, canned tuna, chicken, egg, whole grain wheat flour, raw garlic and onion, and chocolate syrup.Jan 10, 2019
eMedicineHealth › article_em

Shedding of virus? By others? I wear a filtered face mask in public. Often. I just shrug at lookers and reply allergies. I'm allergic to germs.
The arginine applies to any Herpes infection (of which Shingles is a form). You can take L-Lysine to help counteract it.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Thanks ocnjgirl!! I do take lysine if I overdo the arginine. No cold sore, or other lesions as yet. It's shingles that really concern me.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
Thanks ocnjgirl!! I do take lysine if I overdo the arginine. No cold sore, or other lesions as yet. It's shingles that really concern me.
Yes I worry about it too. I’ve been on a waiting list for Shingrex at my doctors forever. I could have gotten it by now at Walmart except my stupid insurance will only cover it at my doctors office.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I have taken Lysine on and off but not taking it now. I would not get the shingles vaccine and I also believe the antioxidants I take and B vitamins keep me in a good place and so I don't worry. I'm pretty calm overall, and stress is the known culprit for shingles.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have taken Lysine on and off but not taking it now. I would not get the shingles vaccine and I also believe the antioxidants I take and B vitamins keep me in a good place and so I don't worry. I'm pretty calm overall, and stress is the known culprit for shingles.

Well, I work in nursing homes, and exposure is a known culprit, too.

Stress doesn't cause Shingles though, it activates the Shingles (or Herpes) virus if it is present in your body already.

Old 10-13-2019, 03:59 AM

7,239 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, I work in nursing homes, and exposure is a known culprit, too.

Stress doesn't cause Shingles though, it activates the Shingles (or Herpes) virus if it is present in your body already.

Good point. Subtle difference.

Nobody knows what activates the dormant Chicken Pox virus to cause Shingles. The Old Wives' tale is that "stress" does it, but little real evidence for that. Could it be re- exposure to active Varicella? Maybe, but shingles is more common among BabyBoomers than previous generations and the younger folks have had vaccination against Varicella, so less exposure.???

It's probably that the Varicella genome has mutated so the Baby Boomers have a different strain more likely to activate than other generations.

How effective is the vaccine for shingles? The first one was ~50% (RRR) effective compared to placebo. The absolute risk reduction (ARR) was only ~0.5%-- 1.1% of controls got shingles each yr, while 0.6% of vaccinated still got shingles. The newer shot is more effective, but we're still talking about a fraction of 1% improvements in risk reduction....Do you need to wear a bullet proof vest?...Yes, if you wind up getting shot in the chest. No, if you don't. You decide.

As far as prevention goes-- it has been difficult to determine, given that there are so few cases, no short term study is powerful enough to differentiate between treatment vs chance. Do whatever makes you feel good. You're the only one you have to please.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 AM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good point. Subtle difference.

Nobody knows what activates the dormant Chicken Pox virus to cause Shingles. The Old Wives' tale is that "stress" does it, but little real evidence for that. Could it be re- exposure to active Varicella? Maybe, but shingles is more common among BabyBoomers than previous generations and the younger folks have had vaccination against Varicella, so less exposure.???

It's probably that the Varicella genome has mutated so the Baby Boomers have a different strain more likely to activate than other generations.

How effective is the vaccine for shingles? The first one was ~50% (RRR) effective compared to placebo. The absolute risk reduction (ARR) was only ~0.5%-- 1.1% of controls got shingles each yr, while 0.6% of vaccinated still got shingles. The newer shot is more effective, but we're still talking about a fraction of 1% improvements in risk reduction....Do you need to wear a bullet proof vest?...Yes, if you wind up getting shot in the chest. No, if you don't. You decide.

As far as prevention goes-- it has been difficult to determine, given that there are so few cases, no short term study is powerful enough to differentiate between treatment vs chance. Do whatever makes you feel good. You're the only one you have to please.
However, the risk accumulates: 1.1% per year and the year after and the year after ... By age 80 half that age group will have had shingles.

Shingles hurts, and sometimes the pain never goes away.

The new shingles vaccine is much more effective.

In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective. In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 91% effective in preventing PHN [post herpetic neuralgia]; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 89% effective.

I know this is alt med, but I do not think any alt treatment, including lysine, is going to beat that. Also, you would have to commit to taking the lysine every day.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:12 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times
I see that the OP has passed. RIP

If you (meaning anyone) are having shingles outbreaks, your immune system was weakened for some reason. Viruses are opportunistic and a weakened immune system gives them the opportunity to erupt. Stress is a factor in triggering a shingles outbreak. Stress lowers the body's defenses which makes you more susceptible to this and other illnesses. You could also have a weakened immune system for other reasons.

Diet: You may be consuming too much arginine and too little lysine. I would look into that. Your diet may also be missing or too low in some vitamins or minerals. I would look into that too. You'll absorb and utilize them better from food, but supplement if you have to. The immune system cannot function properly without the necessary fuel.

If you have long-term chronic stress or trauma-induced stress, you may need to learn stress management techniques to help keep your defenses up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
I would look into adaptogenic herbs like Ashwagandha and Holy Basil/Tulsi they both strengthen the immune system and reduce stress and both have anti-viral properties. I take both during the winter months and Ashwagandha all year round and haven't had an illness since I started this routine 4 years ago.
Good suggestion. These and other adaptogens are good to consider for anything. They help the body to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

I have also read that Lemon Balm is one of the best remedies for this and the good news is that it's pleasant tasting and easy to grow. It also helps with symptoms of AD/HD I've heard. I might add that it's mainly known as a folk remedy as not a lot of research has been done, but what has been done points to further research needed and it's worth a try just for the calming properties of the tea, or I put a sprig in my drinking water in the summer, since I grow it in my garden.

Lemon balm is very calming. I suggest taking it as a tea for better efficacy. It's an adaptogen too, by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I know this thread goes a long way back, but I found what I feel is relevant information
on approaching shingles from a botanical method. Since the success rate is only about 51%
if getting the vaccine, this could possibly help in those cases, or those who do not wish to
get a vaccine and contract it. If you scroll down, there are pictures of the patient and her
improvement over a 2 week time frame.

In the treatment phase, there are some chemicals in the suspension gel that seem hard to find.
I would try just using the aloe vera as a carrier gel. The plants are all pretty easy to obtain.

The website is full of very useful information overall. I've been snooping over there for a few
days now.

https://ndnr.com/botanical-medicine/...a-case-report/

Yes, actually there are a number of natural remedies that can be effective topicals after an outbreak. And some internally, especially herbs classified as nervines to support the nervous system.

Thanks for the link; I will check out the site.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 10-16-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine