Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have the powdered stevia with that eensy teensy little dipper. I only use the powdered form for making ice tea. It somehow works well in it for some reason. That little container of it has lasted for a few years now. I wonder if I will ever run out. I bought it at Trader Joe's for $10.
Mine is also from Trader Joe's in packets. I've only used it once and thought it tasted like saccharine, but honestly, it could have just been a bad cup of coffee, or who knows. I'll try it again, maybe in smaller doses. Now I'm wondering if I should just use the sugar in the raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:17 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
I looked to see what brand I'm using - it's KAL. I like that the best. But, like other said, it will last a very long time since you don't use it like you'd use sugar. Too much of it will taste awful.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:26 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
Thanks for the recommendation. I have tried stevia, to no avail. I just can't get the quantity right and it frustrated me. I love the agave as well, but it is a bit pricy. I also like to use Xylitol, but it has been hard to find at times.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
Regardin Stevia...I've not found a powdered stevia that I like. IMO, the liguid is much better.

Regarding the price issue related to Agave Nectar.....to reduce the cost per oz, we buy a gallon at a time and use a smaller dispenser for daily use.

There was a recent article on the dangers of Xylitol, so I would suggest avoiding products laced with Xylitol, at least until you read the article to find out more.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:21 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
There was a recent article on the dangers of Xylitol, so I would suggest avoiding products laced with Xylitol, at least until you read the article to find out more.
If you could link me to that article, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have read of the dangers of Xylitol if animals get products containing it, but nothing in humans.

I am very insulin resistant and I have to use even agave in strict moderation.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
I made a mistake. The substance was Sorbitol, not Xylitol.

Here's a link to the article: Sugar free gum with sorbitol can cause bowel problems

Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,425,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Mine is also from Trader Joe's in packets. I've only used it once and thought it tasted like saccharine, but honestly, it could have just been a bad cup of coffee, or who knows. I'll try it again, maybe in smaller doses. Now I'm wondering if I should just use the sugar in the raw.
That's the Stevia plus fiber...since stevia is not approved as a food additive it has tro be sold as a dietary supplement. The fiber taste is awful.

As far as Succant, I use Florida Crystals. Neither are safe for diabetics. Nutrionally speaking sugar is sugar is sugar, whether it's syrup, honey, white sugar, brown sugar, cane juice, etc...it's all bad if you're diabetic.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I made a mistake. The substance was Sorbitol, not Xylitol.
Nothing there that people who avoid sugar haven't known for years. It's not dangerous, just uncomfortable. You eat too much of it, you get the runs. You stop, the runs go away. Great way to teach eating in moderation. Kinda like the old Fletcher's Castoria ad: "Are three enough? Are six too many?"

Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM

498 posts, read 1,519,854 times
Thumbs up Jessaka

Hi. WoW, this is great. I am learning so much good info. today. I will have to look for this in my area. I usually just use regular sugar because I am scared of all the diet drugs. ASPERTAME is very dangerous to the human body. Caffine isn't too far behind either. Thanks.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,596 times
Default Box on Artificial Sweeteners, maybe Parents Magazine

I was browsing through a magazine at my daughter's pediatrician's office a few days ago and there was a little box on the status of knowledge on artificial sweeteners. It said that Stevia is essentially bad-dangerous and Aspartame is safe (sort of paraphrased). There may have been a small additional bit of information, maybe some reference to a study or studies, but not much. You know, it was just a simple box. This was probably Parents magazine. I have basically no idea about the basis of this box, but I thought I would mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine