Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

I know what regular or allopathic medicine has to offer. I am wondering what alternative medicine treatment there are. I have pain in all eleven trigger points, lower pack pain, fatigue, brain fog and vision issues. When I awaken I am tired and in pain.

Any advice would be helpful. I'm sick of feeling sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
A common trigger for fibromyalgia pain is food sensitivities. Not necessarily allergies (though they can trigger it too). You could try eliminating one food type of item from your diet entirely for a week or two and see if that helps. If it does, then you know you need to avoid that particular type of food. If it doesn't, try eliminating a different type of food for the next two weeks. Etc. etc.

#1 common food sensitivity trigger for fibromyalgia pain is gluten, so you'll want to cut all wheat, barley, and rye, and anything made with any of those three.

Protein is especially important - you won't need to get "more" than a person normally needs, but you will want to be careful to get as much as a person normally needs. In other words, if you're getting less than the normal, you'll want to eat more. Especially mid-afternoon, when it's common to feel a little lethargic even when you're perfectly healthy. Since you're a vegetarian, the usual proteins such as chicken, egg, cheese, or even whey protein, are not options for you. So you'll have to go to whatever you would go to, that has plenty of protein, but no gluten.

Oatmeal in the morning is a good start to your day - no need to add milk (I don't); just a little brown sugar and a palmful of raisins. If you use dried cranberries instead, use less sugar - dried cranberries are typically sold with sugar already coating them.

Yoga has also been known to help alleviate some of the pain from fibromyalgia, and meditation can help immensely with the general frustrations of feeling run down and achy all the time.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
A common trigger for fibromyalgia pain is food sensitivities. Not necessarily allergies (though they can trigger it too). You could try eliminating one food type of item from your diet entirely for a week or two and see if that helps. If it does, then you know you need to avoid that particular type of food. If it doesn't, try eliminating a different type of food for the next two weeks. Etc. etc.

#1 common food sensitivity trigger for fibromyalgia pain is gluten, so you'll want to cut all wheat, barley, and rye, and anything made with any of those three.

Protein is especially important - you won't need to get "more" than a person normally needs, but you will want to be careful to get as much as a person normally needs. In other words, if you're getting less than the normal, you'll want to eat more. Especially mid-afternoon, when it's common to feel a little lethargic even when you're perfectly healthy. Since you're a vegetarian, the usual proteins such as chicken, egg, cheese, or even whey protein, are not options for you. So you'll have to go to whatever you would go to, that has plenty of protein, but no gluten.

Oatmeal in the morning is a good start to your day - no need to add milk (I don't); just a little brown sugar and a palmful of raisins. If you use dried cranberries instead, use less sugar - dried cranberries are typically sold with sugar already coating them.

Yoga has also been known to help alleviate some of the pain from fibromyalgia, and meditation can help immensely with the general frustrations of feeling run down and achy all the time.

Thanks. I have been wondering about gluten myself. So many people I know either say that they are gluten intolerant or are avoiding gluten just in case.

Just this year, I've began to eat oatmeal - the steel cut variety and it's been good. I don't feel tired or sluggish the way I did when I began breakfast with a haldf a bagel and vegan cream crease. I love bagels but they make me sluggish.

I think Yoga may be a good idea too. I'm going to give it a try!

Thanks for the ideas! Any vitamins, minerals etc that help? And what about the pain?

I think the FM started a few years ago when I had an accident. I locked my self out of the house so I hopped a fence - a six foot fence and fell when I landed. I sprained my ankle in the process. My doctor at the time said that a fall or accident often preceded FM.

It's getting worse each year. I wish that more was understood about this disease.

Hard to believe that I was ever pain free enough to think that fence hopping was even an option.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
You might want to get your back checked out. It's very possible that you sprained it during the fall, and now you're experiencing the fallout. When I had my car accident in 1983, I had no idea that I had back trauma. I was in CICU with tubes coming out of almost every orifice, my arm and leg in traction, and morphine injections every 4 hours. For the 5-10 minutes I was conscious, three times a day for the first 4 days, the only pain I as aware of was the burning in my lungs from the breathing tube down my throat. I didn't even realize that most of the left half of my body was broken.

Two weeks later when I wheeled out of the hospital, I was stiff and sore from being in a bed for 2 weeks, and from a double surgery to repair the bones in my arm and leg, and my collar bone hadn't started healing yet. So again, I had absolutely no idea that I'd jarred my spine in the accident.

Fast forward 20 years to 2003 - lower back strain, nothing major, but persistant. My hip was feeling achy too, and in 2006, I ended up having knee surgery. Final diagnosis: osteopenia in my hip and lower spine, and degenerative disk disease in my lower spine. The knee problem was the result of straining to walk.

I am always in pain, to some extent or another. But I don't have fibromyalgia. It's ALL because of a fall (off a moped, at around 30MPH after hitting the side of a car).

So get your back checked. Have them check your lower spine, AND your neck for any signs of a bad recovery from whiplash.

For pain - nothing for Fibromyalgia that's herbal or "alternative" will beat the current varieties of prescription meds. Unfortunately the Rx meds come with tons of side effects, some of which are dangerous if you're "at risk."

In general, a multi-vitamin every day, plus a TUMs for calcium (I believe this particular calcium comes from seashells). Unfortunately again, many multi-vitamins are made with animal proteins and random other animal ingredients. So you might be out of luck on that. You'd have to check with the manufacturer.

Make sure that whatever you're getting, is enough, and not too much.

I had a friend with Autoimmune disease, and she found that physical stress - to the point of aching and even bruising - was making her muscles feel -better- after time. So she and her husband bought an organic farm and worked the fields with old fashioned tools - no electric or mechanic-engine-powered machinery at all. She said she hadn't felt better in years, even though she was sore ALL the time!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I have FM and I do stretches a lot because it helps, also a TENs machine (bought online) for when localized pain is bad. Once I got it basically under control I started exercising, and most my symptoms are gone. BUT I'm on lyrica (for pain) and lexepro (for brain fog), with muscle relaxers when needed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM

Tell me about the TENS machine. They have those for home use? I think a chiropractor used that on me.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
I didn't know about an accident causing FM. I'm suffering from a knee injury and the pain has spread over my entire body. I thought my FM was cured! I was diagnosed 12 years ago and had PT in a heated pool because the dr said I was too weak for PT on land. It really worked and I had no FB at all until this new injury.

Twelve years ago I got the FM from moving from my house--all summer long packing boxes and lifting and moving furniture. I was a mess at the end of it and then I got a virus and then the pain all over. But I really thought it was gone forever--it was great not having it all these years.

Food allergies sure do play a big part, allergies to anything actually. Boy, do I know about allergies and I never even knew I had allergies. Tests always came out negative. It was FOOD allergies. Now I know.

Anyone who can take those pills like Lyrica and get some relief is lucky, I just get side effects. I do miss my yoga but it's too painful now. I'm waiting to see a rheumatologist next month and see if he will do anything, maybe the heated PT pool again.

Hugs to all who suffer from this malady.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:11 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Hugs to all who suffer from this malady.
My husband suffers from this condition and finally went to our GP. The pain meds he takes gives him 100% relief.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
My husband suffers from this condition and finally went to our GP. The pain meds he takes gives him 100% relief.
That's good. They do work for some people. A handful of aspirin helps me quite a bit but I can't seem to tolerate any of the pain pills they've tried on me. I get side effects.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,002,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's good. They do work for some people. A handful of aspirin helps me quite a bit but I can't seem to tolerate any of the pain pills they've tried on me. I get side effects.
He was told Fibro' was a form of arthritis. His GP recommended fish oil capsules as well as the pain medication. I have osteoarthritis in my hands (mostly) and find the fish oil capsules really help with the stiffness and pain in my fingers. I don't take any other pain meds.

Check with your Dr as Aspirin can cause bleeding. It's not safe to take them in large doses day after day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine