Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM

39 posts, read 54,347 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have Colitis/IBD ... and the monthly cost of probiotics is giving me a stomach ache!

I'd appreciate your suggestions about foods that have large amounts of natural probiotics -- natural remedies for Colitis/IBD -- or what you do to reduce the effects of Colitis/IBD instead of probiotic supplements?

I'm supposed to take billions and billions of lactobacillus each day. How could I get a similar amount by eating certain foods? I don't think I could get even close if I ate gallons of yoghurt each day!

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,337 times
I have a similar condition and found some natural foods with probiotic qualities. I don't know the probiotic strength of these foods:

Yogurt
Kefir
Sauerkraut
Dark Chocolate
Microalgae
Miso Soup
Pickles
Tempeh
Kiimchi
Kombucha Tea

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...robiotic-foods

Old 09-05-2015, 11:31 AM

Using that list, I will try to find information about the foods' probiotic strength compared with store-bought capsules (10 billion lactobacillus plantarum). Natural remedies are preferred and probably not as expensive as daily capsules. Good help!

Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLite View Post
Using that list, I will try to find information about the foods' probiotic strength compared with store-bought capsules (10 billion lactobacillus plantarum).
The prices are a lot cheaper online if you are using the stabilized probiotics that do not require refrigeration. Look at iherb.com

Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
I use PB8 with 14 billion, and get them from Natural a Grocers, I don't find them too costly at all. You'd spend way more on food trying to get enough and quite frankly I don't believe it's possible.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:22 PM

The recommendations by capoeira and adventuregurl were extremely helpful because I guess I was too optimistic that natural foods could do the job on their own. I'll try to find PB8 and keep eating yoghurt in case it helps. Either way, there's both a physical and financial cost to IBS. Thanx!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:54 AM

770 posts, read 837,286 times
PB8 is $12 on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Now-...1&keywords=pb8

I have IBS and take VSL#3 it's $50 at CVS and has really help me so much. I also drink kefir and kombuncha tea daily which helps also and tastes good. Plus, a low FODMAP diet helps, and eleminating gluten changed my life and I also lost a ton of weight not eating gluten.

Also I've taken Jarrow's V299 is another goof one $15.50 on amazon.
Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Ideal Bowel Support 299v -- 30 Vegetarian Capsules: Health & Personal Care

Good Luck

Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM

TempeAZnative, I didn't know about the FODMAP -- and it's a good list.
I'll use the FODMAP plus probiotics supplements together.

So I have a question about the probiotics supplement ingredients.
There are so many strange ingredient names listed on the boxes.

The only one I've heard about is lactobacillus plantarum 299V.
But that ingredient is listed as a very small percentage on the store boxes I've seen.

Which ingredients are most important to find on the probiotics supplement boxes?
Or are any of those names okay -- and just try to buy the highest billion?

Thanks.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:40 PM

770 posts, read 837,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLite View Post
TempeAZnative, I didn't know about the FODMAP -- and it's a good list.
I'll use the FODMAP plus probiotics supplements together.

So I have a question about the probiotics supplement ingredients.
There are so many strange ingredient names listed on the boxes.

The only one I've heard about is lactobacillus plantarum 299V.
But that ingredient is listed as a very small percentage on the store boxes I've seen.

Which ingredients are most important to find on the probiotics supplement boxes?
Or are any of those names okay -- and just try to buy the highest billion?

Thanks.
HiLite all are beneficial bacteria that is needed in your gut, but you also need to eliminate what is killing the good bacteria. That's where the fodmap diet comes in and eliminating those food. For me it was elimating gluten and hfcs from my diet and I would recommend the low fodmap diet.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 PM

Yes, the FOODMAP is helpful! Some other lists have different opinions about certain foods (like apple juice and seedless raisins), but I'll rely on the FOODMAP recommendations. Glad to hear that all the probiotics are helpful. I'll focus on diet (and whichever probiotics go on sale). Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine