Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM

676 posts, read 720,631 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest a natural, effective brand of RYR plus coq10? Despite diet and exercise, my cholesterol won't budge. (219). My doctor agreed that I can start with this instead of prescribed statins. I am aware that RYR has statins-like ingredients, and may have similar side effects,
but I still rather start there.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:06 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I took RYR after I couldn't handle the side effects of the three different statins I was prescribed. It gave me terrible heartburn, and after a month of taking it, I was having the same memory side effects that I had with pravastatin...couldn't think of the right word to finish my sentences, couldn't remember how to multiply, etc.

The brand I took was the generic from Sam's club.

I couldn't get my cholesterol to come down even with major weight loss and a very strict diet and exercise, so my doctor said it was genetic. She prescribed Crestor first and it gave me hives, then a couple of generic statins that didn't lower my cholesterol at all but did cause the memory issues, then Zetia, which is not a statin but is supposed to lower cholesterol. I was allergic to Zetia. So then I tried the RYR. I didn't stay on it long enough to see how it affected my cholesterol...I have labs done every six months but only took RYR for one month. At this point my doctor and I have agreed that cholesterol meds are not a good thing for me and my doctor rather sarcastically said hopefully I'll get lucky and not die of a heart attack even with the high cholesterol.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I think I used Natures Plus or Solaray but I purchased the Q10 separately. It did lower my cholesterol but I had to stop taking it due to the cost. I don't trust the cheap generic brands. These are two brands that I have used for years for other types of supplements so I pretty much trust them.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:53 PM

373 posts, read 482,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Can anyone suggest a natural, effective brand of RYR plus coq10? Despite diet and exercise, my cholesterol won't budge. (219). My doctor agreed that I can start with this instead of prescribed statins. I am aware that RYR has statins-like ingredients, and may have similar side effects,

It is statin (in terms of mechanism). So, why not just take the real medicine? At least, your doctor would be able to titrate up/down dose then.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:32 PM

689 posts, read 972,939 times
I'm a person who avoids prescription meds like the plague, but my DH was prescribed a statin and took it for about a year. Once we learned more about short and long-term side effects, we opted for Red Yeast Rice. DH made an appointment with an integrative physician who suggested the Cholestene brand and it's worked wonderfully. He's had no adverse reactions in the 6 years he's been taking it and has maintained a cholesterol number that his (mainstream) cardiologist is happy with.

All natural product lines are not equal. Bargain brands, store chain brands and many obscure (imported) web products are not reliable. Even reputable natural supplement companies differ in which items are considered the best part of their line. Having said that, anyone can experience side effects from anything - including a simple multi-vitamin. The key is to do your homework to select a brand with a strong reputation and to ensure that you take it correctly and in the proper dosage for your body and tolerance level.

Honestly I would live with sky-high cholesterol before I would ever consider taking a synthetic statin. Even if someone is symptom free, the long-term effects should be feared.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
It is my understanding that RYR is basically a statin. As an alternative, I would suggest Guggulipids (Guggul). You can read about it online. It has brought my cholesterol down from 302 to normal range with no annoying side effects. Good luck in your search!

Old 06-30-2022, 12:19 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,874 times
Red Yeast Rice is not a statin.

It may have a similar mechanism, that does not make it a statin. A gazelle and a dog both get around on 4 legs, but a gazelle is not a dog.

This is an old thread but in case anyone else is looking for a good brand, I get one from a company called FullScript. Your doctor must order for you. I trust the company.
I also take from them-a product called CholesterPure. It contains phytosterols, berberine, and bergamot.
I'll let you know in a couple of months if it works.

I was wondering if anyone taking RYR has any ill efects, like upset stomach.
My doctor mentioned something but I forget what it was

Old 07-01-2022, 01:12 PM

686 posts, read 300,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post

Try this,, totally natural.
Get your doc's opinion about it first

Citrus Bergamot - 1200mg - 80% Polyphenols - Bergamot Supplement for High Cholesterol - Supports Heart & Cardiovascular Health - Cholesterol Supplements - USA Made - Bergamot Capsules (120 Caps)

4.5 out of 5 stars 834 ratings | 23 answered questions
Price: $39.95 ($0.33 / Count)
Available @ Amazon

Old 07-01-2022, 01:15 PM

37,098 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Red Yeast Rice is not a statin.
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...-plant-stanols

"Red yeast rice extract naturally contains lovastatin, which keeps the body from making cholesterol. The lovastatin in the extract has the same chemical make-up as Mevacor, a cholesterol-lowering drug (statin) first developed by the drug company Merck. But, the amount of lovastatin in the extract is much lower than the amount in the prescription drug."

Old 07-01-2022, 04:13 PM

321 posts, read 280,201 times
Does anyone look at their RATIO???

Even tho the recent blood tests I ordered showed a HIGH number of total cholesterol AND LDL, my ratio was low - 2.2

CHOL/HDLC RATIO 2.2 NORMAL <5.0 (calc) 01

NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 117 NORMAL <130 mg/dL (calc) 01

It is important.

http://https://www.thelifeco.com/en/...-it-important/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine