Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I've known about it for years and even had dextrose Prolotherapy in my right shoulder about 7 yrs ago, this work gave me 3 yrs Pain Free shoulder. I deal with shoulder injuries from gym equipment...I'm sure OA has set in. I could use this work again. This work is OLDER and least effective, more for acute issues, not so great for chronic.

We have a PRP/Stem Cell MD here on the Westside who is on the radio every weekend discussing PRP and Stem Cells. Many call in with joint issues and don't want surgery, many call in who have had surgery and still in pain. Most with knees, backs and shoulders...hands and feet too.

This work is pricey and this is what hold me back, insurance does not cover any of it. The MD talks that some day it will be, but I'm not holding my breath.

This is the doctor's site:

JointRehab.com - Info On Rehabilitating Joints Wthout Surgery

There are providers all over the U.S. and parts of Europe.

The other therapy I know of is Prolozone injections, which are oxygen/vitamin solutions. These are less money but still up there and no insurance coverage.

Appreciate anyone's inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 10:15 AM

566 posts, read 1,107,266 times
Have you ever tried - now I don't know exactly what the problem is with your shoulder - a chiro extensively trained in Active Release Technique?

I know. People will say this is glorified fascia release/deep tissue.

Until you experience the technique and get relief!

Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
My husband had PRP for a cracked pelvis.

It is really hard to tell if it did any good. Certainly didn't show any immediate improvement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-29-2016, 10:41 AM

I had active release technique (ART) work on the IT band damage down the side of my leg due to hip replacement mess. The chiro thinking back did a treatment every week for 8 weeks. It helped but that IT band damage is horrid and I live with it. I do deep work myself on that area but the chiro I saw for a good while had to retire due to a heart issue. I have a massager and use it on the area some time too.

On the PRP, many need to do more than one session. It all depends on how much damage and how chronic. I have two friends now living with pelvis fractures...one can't afford PRP and the other has no clue about it and I don't waste my energy telling her as she would not even listen to alternative work.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I had active release technique (ART) work on the IT band damage down the side of my leg due to hip replacement mess. The chiro thinking back did a treatment every week for 8 weeks. It helped but that IT band damage is horrid and I live with it. I do deep work myself on that area but the chiro I saw for a good while had to retire due to a heart issue. I have a massager and use it on the area some time too.

On the PRP, many need to do more than one session. It all depends on how much damage and how chronic. I have two friends now living with pelvis fractures...one can't afford PRP and the other has no clue about it and I don't waste my energy telling her as she would not even listen to alternative work.
PRP (platlet rich plasma) isn't really alternative? The VA hospital did it as a covered procedure.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Other insurance does not cover it all. The MD I hear weekly and who has been doing this for 18 yrs says insurance some day will pay, wonder if I'll be alive. Ortho MD's are now starting to do this work and I talked to one office last year and she said Yes, Dr. Blow does it but sends his patients across the street to St. Johns clinic and the cost is $1000 a session...no insurance. The MD I know of charges $850 with ultrasound guidance to get the injections to the right place. It's good the VA offers it and covers it. They have a load of wounded people to help.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM

I know many here don't believe in PRP and Stem Cells but from the getprolo site it sure seems to be growing:

Find Regenerative Medicine Doctors - GetProlo.com

Granted I ended up with a septic knee and have been thru a long hospital/rehab and trying to figure out what caused it and I think maybe the dextrose injection I had, it was the 5th in my problem knee. But, I'll NEVER know for sure and no one will.

And don't forget for a second all the infections from surgeries many deal with.

I know a person who had two hip replacements and got infections and had to have both removed and go on a LONG abx and then have each hip gradually replaced. Talk about a nightmare.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:30 PM

I think I have had seven surgeries.... never an infection.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think I have had seven surgeries.... never an infection.
That's great with so many, you are fortunate. I've had two and no infections, but my body sure messed up from hip replacement. One can find many stories on infections from surgery.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
That's great with so many, you are fortunate. I've had two and no infections, but my body sure messed up from hip replacement. One can find many stories on infections from surgery.

It's the internet. You can find stories of people who are physic that communicate with aliens, remote travel in their sleep, and mind control the Kremlin during breakfast while worshiping Baal, and will only date red haired men that are the 4th child of Romanians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine