Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 10:19 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,404,994 times

Advertisements

I love aromatherapy. I've been a fan for more than 3 decades. I've taken classes at my local college, I've added classes in chemistry and naturopathy to that mix so I would really understand what I was mixing. I have a great deal of respect for all that aromatherapy can bring to the table. Many of our pharmaceuticals are based on synthetic versions of plant based formulas.

That being said, I'm getting very concerned about the proliferation of so-called "experts" who have been "trained" by their multi-level marketing aromatherapy company.

Yes - some of those oils are very well made, and some of those oils are very high quality. And yes, the owners of the companies do know what they are doing. And yes, some oils are relatively harmless... in small doses. But do you really know how they will interact with the chemistry of your client?

Just because your up-line tells you something, or just because you read a chat room page about the cool things you can do with this or that oil, please do a little more research before recommending oils to people. This is not something to be cavalier about. In some ways, when recommending things, you are Prescribing. Do you want to be responsible for the outcomes? You want to be very careful that you know a few things about your client's medical history. What if the oil you prescribe is contraindicated for medication they are taking? What if they have a flower allergy and go into shock from using your oil? Are you advocating small tests first? Are you aware that persons with epilepsy shouldn't use rosemary? Or that persons with low blood pressure shouldn't use lavender? Here's more information https://suite.io/sharon-falsetto/30xm2e8

If you are using it with your babies - here's what she says:
Quote:
some essential oils such as peppermint, hyssop, basil, juniper and cornmint should never be used with babies and children. Lower dosage of essential oils should be used with babies and children too
AND - Please be careful about making recommendations on ingesting oils! That was the first warning my very first Aromatherapy teacher taught me.

Here are two articles on ingestion of oils from certified aromatherapists
The Case for Ingestion - Is Ingesting Essential Oils Safe? - TheHippyHomemaker

3 Reasons to Avoid Ingesting Essential Oils

Why am I writing this? A friend came to stay with me for a few weeks. During that time I caught a small cold. I know what my routine is in that case, and I was following my own time-tested rituals. I will use a diffuser in the house with clove-cinnamon-rosemary-lemon-eucalyptus oils. I will rub a little eucalyptus mixed in oil on my throat and chest. etc.

Well - my house guest was very excited to "help" me because his girlfriend had just become a distributor for one of the MLM aromatherapy companies. He offered to mix me a "cold cocktail" with 4 different oils that I was supposed to swallow in one shot. I politely refused and sent him to the above articles.

What's interesting about this is - this person had bloating and gassy issues the whole time he stayed with us. He kept blaming the water, the food he just ate, etc. I pointed out that he needed to get himself to my naturopath ASAP and he needed to stop destroying his gut with potent oils. Your gut flora is your friend. It essentially is what keeps you alive. If you are sending oils into that and killing good gut flora, you are setting yourself up for years of pain and agony.

Sorry this is so long, but I know that a lot of people think they are "helping" others when they randomly recommend oils, as if there's nothing bad that can happen if it doesn't fit the bill.

Aromatherapy CAN be amazing and wonderful and healing. Just be sure you really know what you're doing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 AM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
The MLM is very popular in my neighborhood. I have about 100 essential oils I bought years ago.

I have two scientific books on the medical uses that are good, and a little over my head. I've bitten my tongue when the MLM start saying how it is so safe, because it's natural, that you can do anything with it.

I DO use them for cooking sometimes. I made a lavender vanilla pudding, and will add oregano or similar to mayo. Super good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM

62 posts, read 76,041 times
Interesting article about essential oils. I am not big into them but I have a few that I use with a diffuser. I love lavender scented bath toiletries. My blood pressure is on the low end of the normal range but not sure the amount of lavender I am exposed to would make any difference with that. I take the occasional bath with lavender scented bath salts and use a lavender body wash, and sometimes a lavender body spray. Is this enough to affect me?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The MLM is very popular in my neighborhood. I have about 100 essential oils I bought years ago.

I have two scientific books on the medical uses that are good, and a little over my head. I've bitten my tongue when the MLM start saying how it is so safe, because it's natural, that you can do anything with it.

I DO use them for cooking sometimes. I made a lavender vanilla pudding, and will add oregano or similar to mayo. Super good.
Mikala - cool - 100 oils! Maybe I'll swing by next time I'm 'home' (Hawaii was my home for 30 years!)

One really good book that's easy to understand and follow is Valerie Worwood's Book, The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. She has great recipes for face creams, hair treatments, pet treatments, and many things that ail you. She doesn't just advocate for one brand, and she has a lot of good cautionary advice as well.

Yes - part of the problem is the idea that "natural" means it can't kill you. Well, a shark is "natural" and that sucker will surely kill you if you get too close!!

As I said, use them with respect. They will last a long time and can be used for wonderful things. Diffusers are great, putting a drop or two on the top of a candle before lighting it will work. I travel a lot and I'll put 4-5 drops of grapefruit on a kleenex and put that in a ziplok bag; then I'll do the same with a few drops of lavendar; and then another with some Thieves oil (equal parts Lemon - Eucalyptus - Rosemary - Cinnamon - Cloves).

I do the Grapefruit to help me feel more awake after a long trip. I just open the ziplok and inhale a little, then close up the bag again. I do the Lavender to help me sleep. Just a quick deep breath is enough. Thieves oil is said to be a disinfectant. (Truthfully, all three of them can come in handy near the end of a flight when everyone's - er - gastric discomfort - becomes readily apparent!!! )

Do be conscious of your seatmates. Ask them first if they have any issue with strong smells. They may actually thank you, given the above last comment.

As you said, if you are mixing them with carriers like your mayo, or you are cooking with them, it's usually not bad. Just don't over do it. "If a little does a little good a lot'll do a lotta good" is NOT true in the case of aromatherapy oils. A tiny amount goes a loooooong way.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:48 AM

29,259 posts, read 16,890,445 times
I've been working with EO for a lot of years, off and on. I've known about Oil of Oregano for a long time but Never used it, BUT now I would not live without it. I have a post here dedicated to OOO....

Clove Oil and Wintergreen Oil are also favorites. Myrrh tincture, don't know if that's considered an EO. I've used Lavendar for years.

My homemade toothpaste is a coconut oil base and I add drops of clove and oregano to this TP..also MSM powder and red mill baking soda.

I like the tissue with drops in a ziplock bag.

What is good for a nice LIFT? I use DRibose but wondering about an EO lift.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Oregano Oil has long been proven to be safe -- IN SMALL DOSES. It actually kills parasites in the body much more effectively than some of the big pharma cures. That being said, be very very cautious when using it. Make sure you also use a Probiotic, and also drink a lot of water and get a lot of fiber. Why? Because oregano oil can close up your intestines and you'll need a grenade to clear it, if you get my drift. This is definitely one of those, "a little goes a long way" cures. So none of that "If a little does a little good a lot'll do a lotta good" rationales!

coconut oil is also relatively safe and isn't really on the list of dangerous things. Though it can be quite the laxative, so it may be good to use (or just drink coconut water) if you overuse oregano oil.

Toothpastes made with aromatherapy oils are ok, but just be conscientious about not swallowing them. Again, probiotics are your friends! And - if you buy commercially made toothpastes like the Melaleuca brands, you are probably safe. That's a quality company and the amounts are very small. Actually, if you have gingivitis or tooth bleeding problems, Tea Tree oil (maleleuca) is very good as toothpaste and mouthwash for those things.

For a quick pick me up -- all the citrus oils are great. Just put a few drops on a cotton ball and set in various places around the house. Not a great idea to ingest them, though, unless it's something very small. As the article about ingesting says, oil and water don't mix, so putting a few drops in your tea and then swilling that may deposit the oil directly on your tender throat tissues, causing many problems down the line.

Again - Respect the power of the oils. Do your research beyond your MLM pages. There are many great books and resources out there.

FWIW - this is the program I'm just starting, so you know I'm not blowing smoke: https://www.achs.edu/academics/aroma...e-aromatherapy

They have great resources on their site

Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,536,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Oregano Oil has long been proven to be safe -- IN SMALL DOSES. It actually kills parasites in the body much more effectively than some of the big pharma cures. That being said, be very very cautious when using it. Make sure you also use a Probiotic, and also drink a lot of water and get a lot of fiber. Why? Because oregano oil can close up your intestines and you'll need a grenade to clear it, if you get my drift. This is definitely one of those, "a little goes a long way" cures. So none of that "If a little does a little good a lot'll do a lotta good" rationales!

coconut oil is also relatively safe and isn't really on the list of dangerous things. Though it can be quite the laxative, so it may be good to use (or just drink coconut water) if you overuse oregano oil.

Toothpastes made with aromatherapy oils are ok, but just be conscientious about not swallowing them. Again, probiotics are your friends! And - if you buy commercially made toothpastes like the Melaleuca brands, you are probably safe. That's a quality company and the amounts are very small. Actually, if you have gingivitis or tooth bleeding problems, Tea Tree oil (maleleuca) is very good as toothpaste and mouthwash for those things.

For a quick pick me up -- all the citrus oils are great. Just put a few drops on a cotton ball and set in various places around the house. Not a great idea to ingest them, though, unless it's something very small. As the article about ingesting says, oil and water don't mix, so putting a few drops in your tea and then swilling that may deposit the oil directly on your tender throat tissues, causing many problems down the line.

Again - Respect the power of the oils. Do your research beyond your MLM pages. There are many great books and resources out there.

FWIW - this is the program I'm just starting, so you know I'm not blowing smoke: https://www.achs.edu/academics/aroma...e-aromatherapy

They have great resources on their site

You mentioned probiotics and I have a question…..Someone recently told me that taking probiotics over an extended period would lead to intestinal problems. I take it maybe once a week, and have no problems at all, in fact I consider myself to be quite healthy…should I be concerned/

Old 03-13-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
You mentioned probiotics and I have a question…..Someone recently told me that taking probiotics over an extended period would lead to intestinal problems. I take it maybe once a week, and have no problems at all, in fact I consider myself to be quite healthy…should I be concerned/
As with anything, moderation is just a good idea. "Probiotics" can refer simply to taking acidophilus or eating more yogurt... or it can mean taking pills with a claim for being a probiotic. Always be aware of what you are taking, and always ask your medical professional about your diet and regimen. If you are someone who thinks that ingesting oils is a good idea, don't leave that out of the discussion with your doctor. THAT is important info. If you are chugging down a gallon of probiotics a day and thinking it's good for you, then that is also important to talk about with your doc.

This may help Are Probiotics Safe?

I like to use this particular brand (not advertising it, no affiliation) acidophilus
If I take it at all, it's a Tablespoon after a meal, no more than a couple times a week. If I've had my teeth whitened, I'll take a shot of it, just because the substance often used to whiten your teeth can cause some stomach upset and could mess with your gut flora.

If you pay attention and listen to your body, you'll be able to tell if the probiotic is working for you. But don't overdo it. Again, it's not true that, "If a little does a little good a lot'll do a lotta good!"

BTW - I've had more problems taking ibuprophen over an extended period than I have had with probiotics. I've been taking probiotics for 35 years. So far so good. But every body is different. Do what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine