Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:23 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,890,445 times

Advertisements

Dr. Andrew Weil has been out there in the alternative healing world for many years. I agree with much of what he believes.

My daughter is seeing a D.O. now and the work includes Cranial work. A friend is seeing the same D.O. next week for pelvic issues and her neck which she cannot move in either direction for going on 6 yrs since her rehab after hip replacement.

My daughter reports a lighter overall feeling to her body and more ease with walking. She deals with many issues in her young life and one is a collapsed foot tendon.

I'm thinking more about seeing the D.O. to see what she can relieve for my aging achy stiff body. This would include for me neck and spine work.

This work as I understand it can be an adjunct to what other work people are doing. Personally I prefer no surgery as I deal with enough complications from the hip replacement.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03223...l-Therapy.html

There are so many ways to help with healing and this is just another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:46 PM

My daughter has had her 4th D.O. session and just talking to her, her voice is even stronger and happier. She says, less pain overall and even in the collapsed tendon foot issue. But this work cannot restructure the foot, so surgery could be down the road, how soon is hard to decide. Recovery/rehab is long and she still has a son at home and a dog to take care of. She did see a podiatrist to ask why did the foot collapse...it's from flat feet. Her daughter has flat feet so she is aware of that issue. Perhaps new orthotics for the girl.

The D.O. work is basically re-aligning the body and I'm going to start next week as I could use some re-adjustment in this collapsing body.

Here is the D.O. she is seeing and the work she does;

http://lotusew.com/portfolio/cynthia-kodama-do/

Old 04-29-2016, 09:45 PM

DO vs MD -- What's the difference...here is some history.

DO vs MD: What's the Difference & Which is Better?

Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM

My daughter just reported on her 5th D.O. session. She can hardly believe how much much better she is feeling. She has a history of fluid in her ankles and collapsed tendon (flat feet) and she's telling me today the fluid is almost gone. She's been talking to doctors about this for years and they have nothing but diuretics.

Her son complains about pain, and he's probably still in growth spurts so she's made an appt for him to start with Dr. Kodama.

I'm getting ready to go for my 1st session today. Here's hoping.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:03 PM

Wow, was that a 1st great D.O. session. The doctor must have worked on me with her hands for about 45 minutes, took my vitals etc before and then the hands on work. I got off that table feeling almost like I did before surgery. She talks about trauma we all experience and of course surgery is major trauma. Getting the body in balance and my leg could even get back to a better length, since it is shorter since hip job. I'm down on her books for next 3 tuesdays....and could even help my poor knee.....there is a bright light out there NOW.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:14 PM

Dr. Howell's abstract on Osteopathy presented by Dr. Mercola also a D.O.

The Paradox Of Osteopathy!

BTW: My friend who has had her 2nd session felt some movement in stiff, non movement neck she's lived with for 6 yrs...she has hope now and optimistic she has some quality life ahead of her.

She ended up with this issue from a 3 week rehab due to hip replacement.

D.O. work can work to get our blocked blood flowing and help to release longtime tight muscles.

The longer the chronic pained body, the longer it will take...but it gives me hope.

While at my 2nd visit, a couple had their baby, looked to be 3 months old or so, in their arms as the baby had a session. This baby had a cast on it's leg. D.O. is used for many children.

My daughter is giving her 15 yr old son some D.O. work. He has muscle pain and she believes too he harbors a lot of stress from his life with his dad and dad's death.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-05-2016 at 02:25 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 PM

In the event anyone wants to look into D.O. work for their own health, here is a directory of
Traditional D.O.'s in the U.S. From all my research, there are many in Europe as well.

U.S. Physician Directory - Traditional Osteopathic Studies

Old 05-07-2016, 09:26 AM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
In the event anyone wants to look into D.O. work for their own health, here is a directory of
Traditional D.O.'s in the U.S. From all my research, there are many in Europe as well.

U.S. Physician Directory - Traditional Osteopathic Studies
Isn't that just DO's from one school? It listed Hawaii as having 1. Yet when I google I get hundreds, are you saying their training is not traditional? Then what is it?

What's so different about the James Jealous school? Other than he sounds like lead singer from punk band?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2016, 12:16 PM

As I understand D.O. treatments and training, Traditional D.O's. are trained with the hands on work...Many D.O.'s today are NOT going on to the advanced "hands on" training.

Some yrs ago when I was still getting my thyroid support I went to a couple D.O.'s and they did NOT do the advanced traditional "hands on" work.

So the D.O. I'm seeing does the Traditional work with her hands and went on to advanced training. She sees her patients for about 90 minutes.

I don't know about James Jealous, D.O. but it's explained in their mission statement. His directory seems to be a listing of D.O.'s who do advanced "hands on" traditional work.

All D.O.'s are medical trained.

Traditional Osteopathy

There are thousands of D.O.'s today BUT only small numbers with the advanced hands on work. Calif, New York, Maine, Arizona seem to be larger with the hands on D.O.'s...so perhaps Hawaii has a lot of D.O.'s but not the hands on workers.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-07-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM

48,708 posts, read 35,181,558 times
So you get different training from different DO schools?

There is no consistent set of accomplishments you must demonstrate before getting a diploma?

I could call one the hundred not listed on the James Jealous website and get some completely different type of DO?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine