Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Many City-data posters may be unaware of the differences between M.D.s and N.Ds and probably aren't aware that medical doctors are trained very narrowly in medical school in something called allopathic medicine. Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT trained in various modes of medicine. They know
very little about diet or wellnes
s and rather are trained to treat symptoms of conditions with drugs, surgery, and radiation.

Raw Figs – Q & A 82 Part 1
The two bolded statements have nothing to do with each other.
Many MDs I know (myself included) have taken a lot of our own time to study various different 'alternative' therapies, not to mention educated ourselves on diet, the different things that happen to your body when exposed to different foods/substances, etc.

The problem can often be the audience. The last time I told a patient that when *I* have a cold, I treat the nasal congestion with cayenne and the cough with honey, they looked at me like I was crazy. Every time I preach a whole-food diet of fruits, veg, and lean proteins, people are completely incredulous. Instead of flexeril or codeine, I like to prescribe the sciatic stretches for low back pain. That only gets you a poor score on the satisfaction survey the patients get, despite the fact that it would be better for them in the long run. Few people will try an accupressure mat for trouble sleeping or fish/krill oil for their joints.
The list goes on and on.

If you're not hearing more from your MDs about alternative therapies, it may be because most of their patients aren't interested.

Btw, I have used all the things I have listed above and truly believe in them. They have all totally worked for me.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many MDs I know (myself included) have taken a lot of our own time to study various different 'alternative' therapies, not to mention educated ourselves on diet, the different things that happen to your body when exposed to different foods/substances, etc.

The problem can often be the audience. The last time I told a patient that when *I* have a cold, I treat the nasal congestion with cayenne and the cough with honey, they looked at me like I was crazy. Every time I preach a whole-food diet of fruits, veg, and lean proteins, people are completely incredulous. Instead of flexeril or codeine, I like to prescribe the sciatic stretches for low back pain. That only gets you a poor score on the satisfaction survey the patients get, despite the fact that it would be better for them in the long run. Few people will try an accupressure mat for trouble sleeping or fish/krill oil for their joints.
The list goes on and on.

If you're not hearing more from your MDs about alternative therapies, it may be because most of their patients aren't interested.

Btw, I have used all the things I have listed above and truly believe in them. They have all totally worked for me.

You are my kind of doctor. The best of both worlds!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You are my kind of doctor. The best of both worlds!
Hey, don't get me wrong.
I've also pushed TPA, prescribed hydrocodone, and used big gun antibiotics.

There's a place for all sorts of ideas and treatments in the appropriate settings.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
Quote:
There is value in both eastern and western medicine. I don't know why there have to be such extreme statements made on either side. Many people benefit from things like acupuncture, chiropractic treatment, naturopathy, treatment via herbs, etc. Many others have found quality care under MD's. I have personally found value in both. When I was pregnant I had severe lower back pain. I visited a low force chiropractor and the pain was relieved immediately. It was night and day. I know others who have found relief by utilizing acupuncture from pain, migraines, etc. I have found that utilizing nutrition and herbs can have amazing results. I also see a regular MD for an autoimmune issue. Why do we have to choose and why do some people have to be so overbearing in their opinions?

Exactly! The problem is the government trys to force dangerous allopathic treatments on people and they have no right doing that. No one particular type of medicine should be FORCED on anyone. There should be a CHOICE.

Kids are FORCED into getting vaccinated before they can enroll in public school. They are taking away the religious and philosophical exemptions that used to be an option for parents that didn't want to subject their kids to the many risks of vaccines.

Everyone has heard of incidents with children who had cancer who did NOT want their child to undergo chemotherapy and radiation and the parents were threatened that the child would be taken away if the child did not undergo this lethal treatment FORCED on the poor child by the medical profession and the government.

Everyone should also remember the manufactured pandemics ie Avian Flu, H1N1 and now Zika government has tried to frighten everyone into getting more vaccinations to "protect" themselves (when it would more likely do just the opposite). With the Zika virus, there is NO proof the virus causes the birth defect and only circumstantial evidence in 6 cases. Why It

Old 04-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Hey, don't get me wrong.
I've also pushed TPA, prescribed hydrocodone, and used big gun antibiotics.

There's a place for all sorts of ideas and treatments in the appropriate settings.

I agree. There is a time and place for alternative and a time and place for conventional. That's why I find your style to be the best of both worlds. That's why I like my own MD so much because she is similar in her knowledge base. Not all docs have taken the time to learn about alternatives, nutrition, etc.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Following your logic, should not one seek out a more experienced naturopath? What you are saying is that when naturopathy fails, see a real doctor.

"A young doctor M.D." does not get to practice unsupervised by a more experienced doctor. He completes a residency of at least three years and often more. The "young doctor M.D." does have thousands of hours more experience by the time he starts practice than any naturopath, and since he gains experience as he continues to practice, he will always be far ahead of a naturopath in the experience department.

If one should not see an inexperienced naturopath, how does a "young doctor naturopath" become an experienced naturopath?

Licensing exams just require a basic level of competency, and those that MDs and DOs take are not easy.

Would you want to fly on an airplane piloted by someone who has not been licensed?
Ahhhh Suzie... always spending your life arguing. How sad.

I'm a standardized trainer. I've worked with medical students for 9 years. You make it seem like M.D.s are some kind of supernatural creature. They're not. Their just extensions of the biased books they read.

In fact, I would not let the vast majority of them near me once they became MDs.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,348 times
Science has this knack for wanting to re-invent life on its own terms. As if the life that had existed for thousands of years before was all wrong, all boring, and all useless.

Remedies and natural treatments that had successfully been implemented for thousands of years are now counted as complete rubbish.

Funny thing, in order to make the vast majority of the allopathic meds, science extracts chemical concentrations from herbs themselves.... even though they claim herbs don't work on their own. But since they only extract specific compounds, it ruins the medicinal balance and thus creates the myriad of side effects that we see in pharmaceutical meds.

I'm not against science totally, but the biased and careless methods currently used have caused the deaths of hundreds of millions.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I agree. There is a time and place for alternative and a time and place for conventional. That's why I find your style to be the best of both worlds. That's why I like my own MD so much because she is similar in her knowledge base. Not all docs have taken the time to learn about alternatives, nutrition, etc.
My point is that they may know but they may not be telling you about it because 90% of the people out there want a test, a pill, and/or a shot. And by gum if you don't give it to them, they will get cheezed off and write nasty letters.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
My point is that they may know but they may not be telling you about it because 90% of the people out there want a test, a pill, and/or a shot. And by gum if you don't give it to them, they will get cheezed off and write nasty letters.

And my point is that a lot don't know about nutrition or anything alternative and if you as a patient mention anything they look at you with the same kind of look that your patients look at you with when you mention alternatives such as cayenne and honey for a cough. Some MD's really don't have that knowledge base. If they have it it's something that they have chosen to explore beyond their formal training. In my experience these types of doctors are the exception rather then the rule.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,452,168 times
If you want to learn about herbs from one of the masters, Dr. John Christopher check out HerbalLegacy.com

Quote:

The list goes on and on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine