Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 01:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
just tell your doc to send the lab request to a lab...
This assumes that I have a Doc to go to.
Or that the ones I've seen before will do this without an exam first.
I don't... and they won't.

Another example of NC thinking & laws:
I need some fresh glasses made up due to scratches.
Cant have them made without first seeing an optometrist.
The opticians can't duplicate what I have or the Rx on file.

Wanna know why?
The optometrist State Senator made that a law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 02:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Wanna know why?

Leave it to a politician. They suck.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-09-2016, 01:06 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Here are some examples: Blood Test Cary, NC | Order Any Lab Work | Lipid, Hormones

https://www.anylabtestnow.com/

https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/patient

Old 05-10-2016, 07:15 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,453,176 times
Quote:

Wanna know why?
That sounds like the vaccination racket for required for kids before they can enroll in school and the rabies vaccine for pets. It is nothing but the veterinary lobby working with government to extort money from people to enhance their revenue stream and vaccinations in pets are not any more safe or any better than they are for humans. It is sickening.

Another thing they want to do in NC is prevent you from being discharged from a hospital you might be in until you have had a series of "catch up" vaccinations if you are 65 or older (not sure about the age). This EVIL collusion with government and BIG MEDICA and BIG PHARMA is scary as all get out! We should NOT let it happen.

People in NC and in every state should start letter writing groups that regularly meet and send out hand written postcards to elected officials about various issues. Along the same idea, groups like this can meet and assign topics for people to write and send in "Letters to the Editor" on issues that the masses need to be aware of.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh, just tell your doc to send the lab request to a lab and then go to the lab and get it done.
Quote:
Correct. You can't just call a strange doctor, tell them you want a TSA level, and they will fax that order into the lab. They want to see you first, as they should. Unless you just want very basic lab work such as blood sugar or cholesterol levels, you idea makes little sense. Either way you will be spending a lot of money, you might as well see the doctor first, have him/her order the correct tests, and get only those done, rather than shooting fish in a barrel, hoping you paid for the right ones. And the benefits of a medical exam by itself cannot be underestimated either.

Quote:

Wanna know why?
Incorrect. That law is due to the requirements of the state medical/optometry board. This requirement is similar in all states; you aren't special just because you live in NC. As an optician/ophthamic technician, I will explain to you what I have explained to hundreds of patients who complain loudly about these policies. Glasses are a PRESCRIPTION item. They are a medicine for your eyes. Would you want a doctor to write you a refill for an oral medication without a prescription? I sincerely hope not. And lenses have to be remade when they are scratched because we can't buff scratches out. The lenses have to be completely redone. You can have lenses remade because of scratching free of charge IF they are under the one year warranty.

After that, you are required to get another eye exam, not so we can make piles of cash off you, but so we can check you for eye diseases such as cataracts and glaucoma; diseases which have no symptoms, similar to high blood pressure. Oh, BTW, eye doctors are even able to detect evidence of diabetes and high blood pressure in your retinas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
So what would you propose to do if you have any greatly abnormal results?
Quote:
A) not cross that bridge before I get there.
B) follow up with a Doc.
Then why not go to the doctor first? After all, you don't really know what tests you require do you?

Old 05-11-2016, 03:56 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Incorrect. That law is due to the requirements of the state medical/optometry board.
This requirement is similar in all states...
Not so.

Several times in different places I've had glasses made up
with nothing more than the glasses I was wearing to go by.
Again, the issue isn't the RX... it's the scratches.

Quote:
After all, you don't really know what tests you require do you?
Yeah, I do. My goal is to repeat for result comparisons from 2 years ago.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Bringing this up again to remind about checking homocysteine for those over 50 at least I would think. My neighbor just came up with some heart stuff and doctor wants to put her on statins, and her cholesterol is good, docs think over 200 = danger....not true. She convinced this MD to check homocysteine and sure enough it was elevated...healthy level is 10-13 on range, her's was almost 17. Now she's working with TMG, B12, B6 and Methyfolate to reduce the levels.

You can read about homocysteine and I have a link or two posted in the beginning of this thread.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:02 AM

706 posts, read 757,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
If you don't mind paying for it yourself, you can get whatever tests you'd like as long as you have a place nearby to draw blood (LabCorp or Quest, depending on which online site you order from). These companies have an MD on staff who 'approves' the tests for you.

I have used both MyMedLab and Private MD Labs.

MyMedLab
https://www.mymedlab.com/

Private MD Labs
Buy Lab Tests Online | Private MD Labs

Direct Labs
Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing
Thanks for these links. I've been using DirectLabs for years but they recently stopped using LabCorp and started using that Quest labs, which for me is located inside a hospital--a place I like to avoid. Lol. Since I like LabCorp, I will check out your other links. Thanks again.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:12 AM

706 posts, read 757,458 times
Quote:
...without deigning to have a physician involved and paying them to order the tests.

That's what I want to do... to just have the results from a few basic common tests
(Lipid, CBC, PSA, etc) to compare the results with what I had 2 years ago.

How would you do this where you live?
Thanks.
I used DirectLabs for years but will probably switch to another online service since they don't use LabCorp anymore. I like LabCorp just fine; I can't speak for Quest labs.

If you need more information about your labs, this is a good place to start. Nearly every lab test in existence is listed on this site.

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/

Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Some hospitals and community health centers have an annual wellness "health fair" as an outreach program. Cholesterol, blood sugar lab work/ screening are typically done and assorted others.

I know people who wait to avoid the $750 for annual lab work & pay $25 for same tests at health fair.
Perfect! Community health centers, Indian tribes (if there are any in your area, and yes, non-Natives are welcome) and some clinic health fairs sponsor free screenings of the type described. Fasting is usually required for blood sugar testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine