Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:56 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times

Advertisements

We still have a long way to go, but conventional therapies work. I'm proof. There are others on the cancer forum who themselves are a decade or more beyond their treatment. A handful are either survivors of more than 30 years or have children who are now middle aged after surviving childhood cancer. And treatment only gets better and better each year, with less toxic regimes (particularly with regards to immunotherapy) every year. My own cancer has had two groundbreaking protocols introduced in the 5 years since my diagnosis, pushing the 5 year survival rate upwards of 95%.

Cancer is not one disease. It is hundreds of different diseases with different mechanics. Breast cancer isn't treated the same as Hodgkin's lymphoma which isn't treated the same as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which isn't treated the same as lung cancer which isn't treated the same as thyroid cancer. Even within those generalized areas, there are many different subtypes (4 alone for my fairly rare Hodgkin's lymphoma!) which react differently. I'm all about complimentary medicine if that works for you (though all the turmeric, green smoothies, organic veggies I grew up with didn't stop me from developing stage IV cancer at 23), but it is almost never a replacement for conventional therapies aside from the cancers that have very low success rate with chemo, radiation, surgery, and other protocols.

Congratulations on reaching the 5 year mark! And thanks for sharing your success story.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-10-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 03:44 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Remember to stay ON TOPIC. REPEATING for people who won't read, this is ONE PERSON'S STORY. The person said in the original post that this is NOT IN LIEU of regular treatment if your cancer is very advanced. In fact, the person is not advocating this treatment for ANYONE. She is simply telling her story. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TREATS ADVANCED CANCER ON THEIR OWN so no one needs to be lectured. Lectures will be considered off topic and infractions may be issued.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 PM

706 posts, read 756,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Moderator cut: edited out off topic remark

I'd be dead without chemo, and am now at the 5 year mark where I am considered cured. Most of my closest friends are other young adults (20s - early 30s) who are 5-10 years out of their cancer diagnoses. We've lost a few, but far too many of those losses came at the hands of those who left conventional treatment for treatable cancers in order to follow alternative therapies that killed them. Most cancers today have a very high success rate of a cure, particularly for those who are not already elderly.

We still have a long way to go, but conventional therapies work. I'm proof. There are others on the cancer forum who themselves are a decade or more beyond their treatment. A handful are either survivors of more than 30 years or have children who are now middle aged after surviving childhood cancer. And treatment only gets better and better each year, with less toxic regimes (particularly with regards to immunotherapy) every year. My own cancer has had two groundbreaking protocols introduced in the 5 years since my diagnosis, pushing the 5 year survival rate upwards of 95%.

Moderator cut: It has already been discussed here. NO ONE is saying that this is instead of the usual cancer treatment. Please go back and read before posting. This is ONE person's ideas for herself AND this is in the Alternative Medicine forum. No one needs to keep repeating this over and over--everyone already knows it. Your post borders on being off topic for this particular thread.
And I have had people in my life die because they chose conventional care without supporting it (seriously) with natural substances. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree...

I never *once* told anyone to do anything they don't want to do. I know that conventional therapies have been, and can be, life-saving. I am NOT telling anyone what to do. I am offering information about natural and alternative therapies for anyone who is interested. I have done a decade's worth of research on "alternative medicine" and thought it might be useful to relay some of that information to people who don't have 10 years to study the subject.

I'm very happy that you survived your ordeal and that you have friends who have. I, too, know people who have undergone conventional therapies and lived to tell about it (most of them have to go back on the treadmill, of course, since their "cures" are carcinogenic). But again, I have known people who *aren't* alive because the chemo and radiation ravaged their bodies, so I am personally reluctant to go through that hell if I don't need to go through it. There *are* alternatives, and that's what I'm here to talk about. Most of these "alternatives" can be, and should be, used in conjunction with conventional therapies if one chooses that route, as long as they are timed right. Their chances of survival would increase greatly if they integrated natural medicine into their regime.

Btw, you don't *really* know that you would be dead without chemo since you probably didn't explore the other avenues in depth. You very well could have healed naturally. I guess we'll never know...

Old 06-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the info about tea prep. I'm not aware that most of the plants in your list are cancer-fighting. I'm familiar with quite a few of them, and have never heard they fight cancer.
You're welcome.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The great thing about herbs is that most do more than one thing for your health. And almost all herbs are alkalizing and anti-inflammatory. And research has shown that inflammation can lead to cancer. I have been using herbs for decades now, and am always researching those I haven't used.

I have also recently been eating a clove or two of raw garlic every day - this stuff is a powerhouse for fighting everything - almost as potent as penicillin! I am amazed at the things in my body that have improved since I have been doing this - my digestion is back to normal as are my bowel movements (had extreme trouble with loose bowels for a good while). Helps my sinuses and allergies tremendously also.
Indeed. Most herbs are multi-functional. Such wonderful beings!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
(quoting someone else)
Cancer is not one disease. It is hundreds of different diseases with different mechanics. Breast cancer isn't treated the same as Hodgkin's lymphoma which isn't treated the same as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma which isn't treated the same as lung cancer which isn't treated the same as thyroid cancer. Even within those generalized areas, there are many different subtypes (4 alone for my fairly rare Hodgkin's lymphoma!) which react differently. I'm all about complimentary medicine if that works for you (though all the turmeric, green smoothies, organic veggies I grew up with didn't stop me from developing stage IV cancer at 23), but it is almost never a replacement for conventional therapies aside from the cancers that have very low success rate with chemo, radiation, surgery, and other protocols.
Right there is the problem with modern oncology/medicine. Cancer is cancer. It *is* one disease. Cancer cells proliferating *anywhere* in the body is a bad thing. It doesn't *really* matter where it is, unless you're talking about the time factor on the more critical areas (like the brain or spine). It is a problem that needs addressed because the whole body is in distress. Your whole body *is* connected. Obviously.

Were you *actually* sufficient in all the crucial nutrients, or do you just think you were based on the fact that you (supposedly) ate all organic? Did your parents make sure to eliminate all carcinogenic chemicals from your life or were you raised washing your skin and hair and house with everyday products that contain a myriad of toxins and endocrine disruptors? Did your family raise you without tons of plastic exposure? Or were you a normal American family reheating your dinners in plastic in the microwave? Did you eat factory-farmed foods and processed meats like bacon and bologna? How many amalgams are in your mouth? How are your hormone levels? Do you get enough probiotics to balance out the antibiotics you had throughout your life? How much vitamin D have you been producing through the years?

Hopefully you all get the point. There are *many* causes to cancer, and all should be addressed--whether you're preventing it or trying fix an existing problem. Obviously, it's easier to prevent cancer than to treat it. Unless you live next to a horribly polluted area like Fukushima, you do have some control over your health.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:10 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Right there is the problem with modern oncology/medicine. Cancer is cancer. It *is* one disease. Cancer cells proliferating *anywhere* in the body is a bad thing. It doesn't *really* matter where it is, unless you're talking about the time factor on the more critical areas (like the brain or spine). It is a problem that needs addressed because the whole body is in distress. Your whole body *is* connected. Obviously.

Were you *actually* sufficient in all the crucial nutrients, or do you just think you were based on the fact that you (supposedly) ate all organic? Did your parents make sure to eliminate all carcinogenic chemicals from your life or were you raised washing your skin and hair and house with everyday products that contain a myriad of toxins and endocrine disruptors? Did your family raise you without tons of plastic exposure? Or were you a normal American family reheating your dinners in plastic in the microwave? Did you eat factory-farmed foods and processed meats like bacon and bologna? How many amalgams are in your mouth? How are your hormone levels? Do you get enough probiotics to balance out the antibiotics you had throughout your life? How much vitamin D have you been producing through the years?

Hopefully you all get the point. There are *many* causes to cancer, and all should be addressed--whether you're preventing it or trying fix an existing problem. Obviously, it's easier to prevent cancer than to treat it. Unless you live next to a horribly polluted area like Fukushima, you do have some control over your health.
Cancer is the name of a collection of related diseases. That's why oncologists give patients very specific names for their type of cancer. Saying cancer is cancer is like saying infection is infection. Since that's not true either, treatments for different infections are as varied as those for different cancers.

BTW, I think you meant to address your post to another user. I've never had cancer so my answers to the questions you pose would not be instructive.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:33 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
OP: I applaud you and admire you!! A friend's daughter started chemo for cancer and the daughter decided to stop treatment and start on a holistic approach. . .the cancer is completely gone!

Old 06-11-2016, 10:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Cancer is the name of a collection of related diseases.

Sounds like these two posters are speaking a different language. Both are probably correct but they are speaking about different things. Let's try to stay on topic anyway, not debate "what" cancer is.

It *is* one disease. Cancer cells proliferating *anywhere* in the body is a bad thing.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Cancer is the name of a collection of related diseases. That's why oncologists give patients very specific names for their type of cancer. Saying cancer is cancer is like saying infection is infection. Since that's not true either, treatments for different infections are as varied as those for different cancers.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. IMO, infection *is* infection, and cancer is cancer. I base this on the fact that you can treat most infections holistically in the same manner; just as with cancer. My supplements work on cancer wherever it is in my body; it doesn't really matter to them where it is, and it doesn't matter to me (again, if it was in a critical location then there would be a time factor). My colloidal silver and MMS and oregano oil (etc) work on infections of all sorts regardless of what it is or where it is. This is my personal experience, and that of many others who choose the holistic route.

That's not to say that I don't use some therapies directly on the areas that I feel have cancer problems. I use my Biomat on my chest and I also sit on it sometimes (though that's a little uncomfortable). When I use the oncology program on my Deta Elis, I usually place it over certain areas of my body. I also make homemade organic breast massage oils that contain very specific herbs for cancer. So yes, in some respects, I do cater to the areas that are affected, but I don't tell my herbs where to go when I swallow them. They know where to go.

Quote:
BTW, I think you meant to address your post to another user. I've never had cancer so my answers to the questions you pose would not be instructive.
That part of their post was no longer available to quote. I made sure to note that when I quoted you (right at the top under your name). I know you didn't write what I responded to. Sorry I had to do it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine