Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What I've seen with people who had RA is that some of them were able to pinpoint what food it was that they were sensitive to. Once they stopped eating that particular food, the RA disappeared.

Same with eczema. I had a childhood friend who suffered terribly. Once she got tested and found out she had multiple allergies, she avoided those things and didn't have eczema anymore.

A lot of people (and I was one of them) have no idea that they are sensitive or even allergic to a food or any other substance. If someone many years ago had told me I could be allergic to milk (and a nurse did after the dr said he didn't know what was wrong with me) I wouldn't have believed it.

I believe it's more than just having a balanced diet for some of us. For some of us, it's finding out what food (or whatever else) is triggering the inflammation.
I agree. It is more of an art than a science. More detective work thank formulaic. People have to be comfortable experimenting and persevering through wrong paths. It isn't easy figuring out what is the cause, but I keep looking, experimenting, learning and refining. This last time around I learned that sleep and digestion, and any stress that interferes is as important, of not more important, than diet. There is always room for more learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 11:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
The point is that the whole medical community insisted that heart disease could not be reversed. They were all wrong. Totally, 100% wrong.
ok, thanks, I missed your point. Yep, I love these talk show people: we have one on our local station that is on M to F at 2pm. I don't want to mention the name of the show, but he tells us everything can be cured by diet and buying his products. I am always amazed at the people who call in and fall for his propaganda as I call it. I do listen to him occasionally when I am in the car just for a good laugh.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:48 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,783 times
I do believe that a good deal of heart disease can be reversed by diet. I remember how excited I was when Dr. Ornish published his studies. But it would be a difficult cure for me. I really like food, and it would mean eating that way for the rest of my life. I'm not sure it would be worth it to me.

Controlling or "curing" Type 2 diabetes is certainly possible in many cases by diet alone. How many people succeed?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I do believe that a good deal of heart disease can be reversed by diet. I remember how excited I was when Dr. Ornish published his studies. But it would be a difficult cure for me. I really like food, and it would mean eating that way for the rest of my life. I'm not sure it would be worth it to me.

Controlling or "curing" Type 2 diabetes is certainly possible in many cases by diet alone. How many people succeed?
Your honesty is refreshing. Likely many other people choose not to eat an Ornish - type diet to reverse thier heart disease, preferring to eat their favorite foods even if that way of eating shortens their life.

Such a personal decision. Me, I think I could eat that way a great deal of the time, but not 100% for always. I'd just have to have bacon once in a while. Or blue cheese crumbles on top of my salad...

But 85 - 90% of an Ornish way of eating would be doable once I made the switch and learned to make more creative vegan dishes..luckily I like veggies, fruits, and beans a whole lot. And fried foods and sodas disagree with me so I'm already on my way.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
If ask if the lifestyle induced chronic diseases are irreversible as the medical profession continues to insist (incorrectly), that is one thing. But if they are preventable and reversible, it presents a whole new problem since $billions of public money is being spent on a problem that can be reversed and cured.

But beyond the predictable consequence there are unintended and unpredictable consequences of lifestyle choices. A woman I knew refused to alter her diet and over time became quite comfortable with her periodic visits to the surgery room mostly to remove scar tissue caused by previous surgeries ( let's ignore how more surgeries could possibly help her condition, but certainly helps the hospital's profits).

While she became comfortable with her overall lifestyle, her husband in his 60s never really was. The stress of the periodic visits to the hospital finally killed him in the waiting room while he was waiting for her to recover from one of her surgeries.

Lifestyle choices effect everyone in the community and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine