Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Met up with an old friend a couple weeks ago and I'm giving him some supplement help. He went thru a knee replacement and is in a lot of pain, not happy with his results so far. He says so much of his damage to his body is from weight lifting and workouts he did years ago.

He's trying the Pain-RX I take which is a Cox 2 Inhibitor and I just sent him info on Gaba to help calm his pain that he claims is bodywide. He's thinking of a shoulder replacement later and I've told him alternatives like PRP and Stem Cells, but he'll make his decision. The knee, so far, is a big problem.

How good are GABA supplements for anxiety, stress and relaxation? | Extra Happiness

I have used Gaba in my sleep remedy for years and can feel pain kinda melting from my body when I take a 500mg capsule. It's otc and 1-2 recommended daily...good for sleep support too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 09:22 AM

506 posts, read 650,954 times
I cannot take GABA. It makes me have brain zaps and nightmares.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:12 AM

We're all unique, I can take it for a week or more straight then back off for a while as I can fatigue more. Inositol works good for me. I dream all night and some times dreams that can be stressful, but I sleep.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Gaba has no effect on me. But Rx gabapentin makes me dizzy and hyper, then I fall asleep hours later. If I take it the next day, it has practically no effect. So there's another example of how we are all unique and different medications have different effects on people.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:04 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
There is a lot of debate over whether GABA supplements cross the blood brain barrier and thus people question their efficacy.

I can state unequivocally that if you take high dose GABA supplementation that it does indeed cross the blood brain barrier and has therapeutic effects. I had done some reading on the subject a while back and learned that high dosage GABA supplementation would likely cross the blood brain barrier. As such, I have successfully self-experimented with between 7,500mg to 10,000mg of GABA dosing (yes, all at once; typically GABA supplements come in 500mg or 750mg's of GABA).

What I learned happened just as my reading had indicated it would: about 10 minutes after mega dosing GABA, for a very short period of time heart rate and blood pressure soar, body temperature increases, and after the spike in BP/HR, a much more relaxed, calm GABA-esque state kicks in.

High dose GABA is one of few natural supplements I have taken that I experienced a direct, tangible efficacy from. I am able to replicate the physical reaction whenever I would like by high dose GABA supplementation; there does not appear to be a Gabapentin-esque tolerance that builds up.

Now, I am a 40 year old guy who weighs 180 pounds, and I wouldn't want anyone hurting themselves. Again, this was self-experimentation that I was willing to do on myself. No GABA supplement bottle will recommend taking anywhere near the dosages I am describing. As such, I would strongly caution anyone who was interested in trying this experimentation themselves.

However, I did want to put the information out there, again, because like I said, this is one of the few ways I have ever experienced discernible, tangible efficacy from health supplements.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Gaba is part of my nightly sleep combo, but only 500mg and this with my sleep combo keep me sleeping pretty well. Lately thou due to advancing OA and recent hospital/rehab with infection in knee, my body is more pained. Maybe I need to take some gaba during day now. ummmmm I'll consider this. thanks.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:38 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
This is what some scientists say about GABA:

Natural StressCare: GABA - Natural Valium, or Is It?

(...)

"It turns out that while GABA doesn't pass through the blood brain barrier ... it can make its way into the peripheral aspects of the CNS (such as the dense connections in the gut.) Also ... the hypothalamus, the emotional neuroendocrine control center of the brain ... is outside of and thus not protected by the blood brain barrier. These two factors could explain the research / practice gap here. ..."

(...)

Old 05-31-2017, 02:29 PM

I know of many who take a benzo for sleep aid. I'd rather work with Gaba any day. We've posted about benzos and alzheimers connection.

There was a time back in 2005 or so that I had a panic attack, thought it was heart attack, went to ER and they sent me home with 12 lorazepam...ah nice but once I read about the alz connection, I stopped taking the 1/2mg.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,710,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
This is what some scientists say about GABA:

Natural StressCare: GABA - Natural Valium, or Is It?

(...)

"It turns out that while GABA doesn't pass through the blood brain barrier ... it can make its way into the peripheral aspects of the CNS (such as the dense connections in the gut.) Also ... the hypothalamus, the emotional neuroendocrine control center of the brain ... is outside of and thus not protected by the blood brain barrier. These two factors could explain the research / practice gap here. ..."

(...)
That is a fascinating article; thank you for sharing! It appears that they are theorizing something different than my beliefs, that GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier but that I am experiencing the reactions I am based on performance in the peripheral aspects of the Central Nervous System and the hypothalamus. That is very interesting information. I suppose I better defer to the author as they are very well versed on the action of GABA. That is all very interesting!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:34 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
GABA has helped me many times with anxiety and insomnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine