Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:09 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This sounds like paranoia to me.

It's unbelievable that dentists would continue to recommend commercially marketed toothpastes to their patients when they wouldn't benefit from it, and know the toothpastes aren't beneficial. Typically dentists care about their patients and aren't in a grand conspiracy to harm them.

Also, if it were true that toothpastes are poison, crest, colgate et all would shift to this coconut oil/clay particles/god knows what that these alternative toothpastes offer.
Dentists might care about their patients, but dentists might be ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 10:34 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Each of us will decide which info we choose to trust and feel in our gut is right for us.

And also our results of what we are now doing and our dental health. I'm a pretty happy camper to be away from the dental offices.

Coconut Oil Offers Hope for Antibiotic-Resistant Germs

Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
If you read about fluoride and how it came to be in the water system and the fact that it comes up before congress every year about whether to continue its use or not and the effect it has on some children's teeth, you would question its use.

I had extensive gum surgery in spite of being very conscientious about brushing, flossing, and making my very expensive cleaning trips to the dentist. I ended up with very sensitive teeth and for years searched for a sensitive toothpaste without fluoride or whitening additives and watched the cost of Sensodyne (which I used) go up and up and up and one night when I was out of it, I thought the hell with this, I'll just brush. I brushed, I rinsed, I repeated, and have not since that day put toothpaste in my mouth again, of any kind, homemade or commercial.

The first thing that happened was that my tooth sensitivity disappeared as if it had never been there. And the second thing that happened was nothing. I still floss and brush twice daily and have had less problems and discomfort than I had all the years before. I'd like to get to a dentist for a cleaning if I could afford it, but in the meantime I have no complaints about my dental health.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:43 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
I will never use toothpaste again. I can't believe I was gullible enough to trust dentists. I hated brushing my teeth because toothpaste is absolutely disgusting. But I didn't know it's bad for your teeth and gums.

Now I'm using ivory soap which seems to work fine. I used to brush my teeth fast to get it over with. Now I spend more time on it.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
following

Old 01-01-2018, 10:02 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

Now I'm using ivory soap which seems to work fine.
Eww, I'd rather use coconut oil. I mixed up some according to jaminhealth's instructions and I've used it a few times. It works fine, but feels oily, of course. The oily feeling doesn't last after you get through, though.

But at least you might get cured of cussin'!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I will never use toothpaste again. I can't believe I was gullible enough to trust dentists. I hated brushing my teeth because toothpaste is absolutely disgusting. But I didn't know it's bad for your teeth and gums.

Now I'm using ivory soap which seems to work fine. I used to brush my teeth fast to get it over with. Now I spend more time on it.
I never hated the taste of toothpaste but for decades didn't research what was in it and thank goodness for the web for all the info.

If I were to go to using soap, I guess I would buy a nice bar of pure soap with coconut oil base etc.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Eww, I'd rather use coconut oil. I mixed up some according to jaminhealth's instructions and I've used it a few times. It works fine, but feels oily, of course. The oily feeling doesn't last after you get through, though.

But at least you might get cured of cussin'!
I recently found a new brand of coconut oil toothpaste from Now Foods and it is so nice and am now mixing it into my own toothpaste.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:39 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:

You've got to be kidding!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:

Soap is not good for your mouth - it breaks down biological membranes which can compromise your immunity. Its nuts to put soap in your mouth every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine