Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

On the list #5 about Prozac. Which I tried back in the early 90's and it left me flat...
Back then it was my thyroid that wasn't being addressed.

Well my friend mentioned the tryptophan and B6 addition for sleep issues, and my issue has been not being able to get back to sleep when I wake up for bathroom...now with adding in these two, I get right back to a nice sleep. Amazing.
I take these two about 30 minutes or so before I hit the pillow and my bedtime is 10PM or so.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH

I don't buy from this company but their OPC-165 is mentioned a LOT. I contains both pine bark extract and grape seed extract. I may experiment on eliminating the diuretic I've been taking for a lot of years.

I've said for a long time, I believe there is an alternative for every drug we are prescribed. Antiobiotics are probably the most important drugs and the exceptions for infections..but for minor issues I've had success with Echineaca.

The 12 most Dangerous Prescription Drugs...
Be Careful What and Who You Believe also comes to mind here. The article you linked is nothing more than unsubstantiated, exxagerated or taken out of context claims against a number of prescription drugs, and the wholesale marketing of the company's (Life Sources, Inc.) own products as substitutes for these "dangerous drugs".

One of the clues as to the highly questionable practices of this company can be found in the "About Us" tab, where the founder and president of this company (a PhD, not an MD), touts in great detail their practice of "Live Blood Cell Analysis" used to "counsel" patients about their nutrition. I've seen this before, the patient to be counseled has a drop of blood from a fingerstick put on a slide, it's coverslipped, and put on a phase microscope at high power usually projected on a screen to wow the patient about all the terrible things wrong with his blood. But nothing they claim can be detected using this method, what they are doing is labeling drying, dirty slides, normal sticking of red blood cells and other artifacts as pathogenic, this method shows nothing. The idea is to persuade the patient that the blood shows he is in dire straits and needs to buy their supplements which will magically cure him, as evidenced by "improvement" on a repeat live blood cell analysis. It's fraud, plain and simple.

Did you not notice the disclaimer at the bottom of their site- although they expound on the dangers of all those drugs, describe in detail the devastating effects of those drugs on the human body, they note in their disclaimer that they are NOT offering medical advice, but only dispensing information-the intent is to keep the FDA off their backs.

As has been said to you so often before, it's your choice as to what you put into your body with the intention of maintaining your health or improving those conditions we get as we age or as part of the human condition, and if they work for you (or you just think they do), more power to you. But disparaging main stream medicine (especially with falsehoods) as a means to promote one's own products, lifestyle or perspective is not helpful to anyone.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

I agree be VERY careful with everything we are putting in our bodies...goes with all meds/supplements --- you name it.

As I mentioned and will again, there is a whole other side of healing out there. Many continue to disparage it. And some will never change mindsets.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:18 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I would just like to point out that many of the drugs on that list are critical, and despite the opinion of the article's author, doctors do know how to use them. Anyone taking any of those drugs should consult with the prescribing physician before stopping them.

For example, it would be foolish to substitute an OTC supplement for a blood thinner. The result could be catastrophic.
I notice that there were comments in the article to the effect of consulting one's doctor, or working with the doctor, in cutting back or discontinuing some of those drugs. I figure those were CYA comments because after all, the purpose of the article to begin with was to advertise their products they advocated as "substitutes" for those evil drugs.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I notice that there were comments in the article to the effect of consulting one's doctor, or working with the doctor, in cutting back or discontinuing some of those drugs. I figure those were CYA comments because after all, the purpose of the article to begin with was to advertise their products they advocated as "substitutes" for those evil drugs.
I agree. And there is absolutely no evidence that any of those substitutions can be safely made for the drugs on the list.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I agree. And there is absolutely no evidence that any of those substitutions can be safely made for the drugs on the list.
You've done all the evidence checking just like I'm sure the doctors do too.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:27 PM

689 posts, read 973,238 times
I, firmly, believe that there are natural treatments and preventative lifestyle modifications that can help us either avoid pharmaceutical intervention entirely or eliminate it once safe alternatives have been established.

The absolute key, though, it to seek the support and advice from a holistic/functional medical professional who can fully assess our overall health status and develop a treatment protocol. In addition, ongoing reassessment and oversight are essential as well.

While the website (and associated products) may be of value, I am uncomfortable with anyone randomly suggesting alternative treatments for serious health issues without an in-person exam and continuous support of a patient.

Last edited by LaylaM; 02-12-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 PM

I just read about the company and their mission statement and they seem to be a smaller LifeExtension type company and working to lead people to alternatives to the drugs. No where do any of these companies say, get off your drugs and on our supplements.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No where do any of these companies say, get off your drugs and on our supplements.
Really?

That is the entire thesis of the link in the OP.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:59 PM

689 posts, read 973,238 times
Yeah, Jam. They pretty much did say that with statements like:

"We recommend the following for tapering off prednisone and cortisone:"

"There are many natural supplements that provide better protection against heart attacks!"

"There are safer and natural ways to lower cholesterol:"

"We believe that diuretics are overused, extremely dangerous and are the specific cause of thousands of deaths per year....
The bottom line is that diuretics should not be part of anyone's drug regimen on a long term basis. There are natural, safer and even health enhancing ways to decrease excessive body fluids and we'll mention them now."

Indirectly, they propose that all of the conventional meds are highly dangerous and should be discontinued asap, then they list their recommendations.

I think we're pretty much on the same page with many of our beliefs but we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine