Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,447,811 times

Advertisements

I have never used any kind of hair dye, and never would, but so many older women do. From what I read, it contains hundreds of artificial chemicals, and some are known to be carcinogenic. The others might be, but have not been studied. And chemicals that are not carcinogenic can still be poison in other ways.

So why do so many women use them? And why isn't there more publicity about the possible dangers?

There is also the aesthetic dimension -- if your hair is white and you dye it dark, you will ALWAYS have white roots showing! Don't these women ever look in the mirror?

At least, if you must use those toxic chemicals, dye your hair ash blond so the roots won't show. And even better, try to get some kind of safe natural hair color. If there is such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 12:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,859,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have never used any kind of hair dye, and never would, but so many older women do. From what I read, it contains hundreds of artificial chemicals, and some are known to be carcinogenic. The others might be, but have not been studied. And chemicals that are not carcinogenic can still be poison in other ways.

So why do so many women use them? And why isn't there more publicity about the possible dangers?

There is also the aesthetic dimension -- if your hair is white and you dye it dark, you will ALWAYS have white roots showing! Don't these women ever look in the mirror?

At least, if you must use those toxic chemicals, dye your hair ash blond so the roots won't show. And even better, try to get some kind of safe natural hair color. If there is such a thing.
It's amazing I guess that I have NOT had issues as I've frosted/streaked my hair for decades. My mother had dyes on her hair for years and she lived into early 90's and I'm headed to 80. After my recent stays in rehabs, I've decided to let me hair go "natural"...it's kinda funny as the front is grey and back is still pretty dark. A box of Revelon color stuff has been around here for months, unused. Health food stores and the like sell products that are not as toxic, they say.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's amazing I guess that I have NOT had issues as I've frosted/streaked my hair for decades. My mother had dyes on her hair for years and she lived into early 90's and I'm headed to 80. After my recent stays in rehabs, I've decided to let me hair go "natural"...it's kinda funny as the front is grey and back is still pretty dark. A box of Revelon color stuff has been around here for months, unused. Health food stores and the like sell products that are not as toxic, they say.
I guess women don't care if toxic chemicals soak into their skin, they are so horrified of looking old. But dyed hair doesn't make you look young anyway.

The idea of putting hundreds of artificial chemicals on your skin, with no idea of what they are, is horrifying to me. The same person who reads the ingredients on food labels, never thinks about what's in hair dye.

I actually know someone who paid thousands of dollars for all the water in her house to be filtered, to get rid of the carcinogenic chemicals. And dyes her hair. It makes no sense.

Frosted/streaked hair looks ok, I think. What I really don't like is grey or white hair dyed dark. It doesn't look natural at all, and the roots are always showing.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with natural grey hair. It is much healthier and just looks better. And you don't have to do anything.

Anyone who reads about the chemicals in hair dye would never go anywhere near it again.

I don't know about the natural non-toxic ones. They might be good, no idea. I wouldn't bother anyway though.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times
I used to dye my hair but something in the products started to affect me. I always hated the smell anyway and everybody knows that stuff isn't good for you.

It got so bad that I could literally taste the stuff when it was on my head, soaking in.

I switched to a brand that uses colors derived from plants. The colors are really pretty but the downside is that it tends to wash out after just a few shampoos. Still, I can't go back to the toxic products. I do believe that some serious illnesses are caused by these products and I wish we knew more.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to dye my hair but something in the products started to affect me. I always hated the smell anyway and everybody knows that stuff isn't good for you.

It got so bad that I could literally taste the stuff when it was on my head, soaking in.

I switched to a brand that uses colors derived from plants. The colors are really pretty but the downside is that it tends to wash out after just a few shampoos. Still, I can't go back to the toxic products. I do believe that some serious illnesses are caused by these products and I wish we knew more.
It is kind of amazing that these products are approved, when most of the chemicals have not even been tested. They do get into the body through the skin. So many women dye their hair, probably at least once month, for decades. And they probably touch up the roots much more often. We just don't know what autoimmune disorders, for example, might result. Or mental illness, such as depression, which is very common among women (not men). Not to mention cancer, which is probably an epidemic now.

All those diseases have many possible causes. But not even considering an obvious possible cause just doesn't make sense.

And that woman I mentioned is probably typical. She is so health conscious she won't use unfiltered water, even for washing. But doesn't worry about the 5,000 chemicals in hair dye, most of them untested, some of them known to be carcinogenic.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM

309 posts, read 369,307 times
And then there's the practical aspects... the time... the expense... the constantly trying to hide roots, as well as the damage it does to your hair leaving it dry, brittle and dull. What a lot of stress to go through just to dump a bunch of chemicals on your head.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
And then there's the practical aspects... the time... the expense... the constantly trying to hide roots, as well as the damage it does to your hair leaving it dry, brittle and dull. What a lot of stress to go through just to dump a bunch of chemicals on your head.
It's all because they are afraid of looking old. But it doesn't fool anyone! Especially since the roots are ALWAYS showing, except maybe 5 minutes after dying.

Dyed hair does not shine, does not look natural or pretty. It's better to have grey hair, because at least it looks healthy.

Some women do have good dye jobs though -- ash blond is close to grey or white, so you don't see roots coming in. Also, if it's streaked it looks natural. Not as good as real natural, but if you dread looking old, PLEASE dye your hair ash blond with streaks!

Still, even if it doesn't look bad, there are 5,000 chemicals, most of them untested! How does this get past the FDA?

Also, the time and expense. And with all that worrying, they still can't manage to cover the roots, no matter how obsessive they are! I mean, if the color is dark.

And you absolutely can't have long hair if it's dyed or processed in any way. It get too damaged and weak. Some women look good with very short hair, but I sure don't!

So I don't care if someone thinks I look old because of my hair. I will never wear high heals, and I will never dye my hair. I CARE about health!!

Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,859,680 times
We should all "get it" by now, the manufacturing world of foods and health products don't really care about the people. Except for the organic farmers and those companies who produce a lot less harmful products.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We should all "get it" by now, the manufacturing world of foods and health products don't really care about the people. Except for the organic farmers and those companies who produce a lot less harmful products.
Maybe they assume it won't go into the body unless you drink it. But that is very wrong. Even if you rinse it off your head, it still has a chance to sink in.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:48 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,828,491 times
A long time ago my chemist boyfriend made me stop using nail polish and nail polish remover. He was appalled. He said, "Do you know what's in that stuff???" And he worked for the top cosmetic companies so he knew what was in the cosmetics. This was in the days before they were required to note their ingredients on the label. His job was to work for one company and figure out what their ingredients were, then pass on the information to his company so they could copy it.

Thank goodness we can now read the list of terrible chemicals that are in many cosmetics. It's like reading the food labels. Read the cosmetic labels too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine