Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,830,238 times

Advertisements

Uncommon Nail Fungus Treatments, Are They Effective?

I've used Vicks a lot on my feet but feel the Urine soaking did it finally. Got rid of a 10 yr fungus on big toenail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,319,795 times
Potassium permanganate...turns the water a light purple...soak your feet in that and your problem will cease to be.....it's cheap, comes in a powder form...works like a hot dammm., better than any pharmacautical the doc prescribes.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:13 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,249,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Potassium permanganate...turns the water a light purple...soak your feet in that and your problem will cease to be.....it's cheap, comes in a powder form...works like a hot dammm., better than any pharmacautical the doc prescribes.
Doesn't work....has never been shown to work....if it does "work" you didn't have toenail fungus (onychomycosis) to begin with...

As added bonus Potassium permanganate is caustic and will stain skin and nails turning them brown....essentially trading one cosmetic deformity for another ( although "trade" is generous since again...doesn't work)

Old 06-23-2018, 05:42 PM

8,524 posts, read 6,945,857 times
Toe nail fungus over a year. OTC stuff didn't work. One cost 30.00 and was a waste of money. Finally went to the doctor. Says there is a prescription medication taken over an eight month period. Because there is a chance that this med can cause liver damage I'd have to have a blood test once per month for eight months. Says there is also a med that is used in cancer treatment with a side effect of curing nail fungus. It costs 500.00 bucks for a single prescription. I give up.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,249,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Toe nail fungus over a year. OTC stuff didn't work. One cost 30.00 and was a waste of money. Finally went to the doctor. Says there is a prescription medication taken over an eight month period. Because there is a chance that this med can cause liver damage I'd have to have a blood test once per month for eight months. Says there is also a med that is used in cancer treatment with a side effect of curing nail fungus. It costs 500.00 bucks for a single prescription. I give up.
Toe nail fungus is INCREDIBLY difficult to get rid of and all of these "alternative treatments" "OTC" treatments etc are completely useless.

Considering the prevalence of the condition, if ANYTHING short of oral antifungals which you are describing actually worked EVERYONE would use it...

If anyone tells you they peed on their feet or used some topical rub/ointment/cream/chemical and the "nail fungus" magically disappeared you know they are either lying or never had true nail fungus to begin with...

Once a nail plate has been infected with fungal elements there is no "curing" the nail, the changes are permanent and irreversible...

The way antifungals work and the reason they have to be taken for so long is the fungus has to be killed at the source, the old infected nail has to grow out, which takes months, and then with any luck if the fungus has been effectively eradicated the "new" nail will grow out fungus free.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:09 PM

No alternatives are NOT useless. I would never go to the pharma drugs as the side effects, good grief!! History doesn't lie about so many remedies. What I posted did the trick. Safe, free and from one's own body...can't get anymore natural.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-23-2018 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 PM

15,018 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
No alternatives are NOT useless. I would never go to the pharma drugs as the side effects, good grief!! History doesn't lie about so many remedies. What I posted did the trick. Safe, free and from one's own body...can't get anymore natural.

Especially if you also "diagnose" your own toenail fungus, I'd bet any method that meets your fancy would "cure"it. A proper diagnosis of a fungal nail infection involves microscopic identification of the fungal elements (ie, hyphae, characteristic spores) from a preparation made from portions of the infected nail, or growth of pathogenic fungi from infected nail material on appropriate culture media.

Other nail conditions may resemble fungal infections, and treatment for these conditions would be different than for fungal infections, so it's not one size fits all for treatment of any funky looking toenail. Chances are that if you peed on your toes, and discovered, halleluia brother, that this restored your strange looking toenail to its natural pristine beauty, you didn't have a fungal infection there to begin with.

https://www.medicinenet.com/fungal_n...r_fungal_nails

Old 06-23-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Especially if you also "diagnose" your own toenail fungus, I'd bet any method that meets your fancy would "cure"it. A proper diagnosis of a fungal nail infection involves microscopic identification of the fungal elements (ie, hyphae, characteristic spores) from a preparation made from portions of the infected nail, or growth of pathogenic fungi from infected nail material on appropriate culture media.

Other nail conditions may resemble fungal infections, and treatment for these conditions would be different than for fungal infections, so it's not one size fits all for treatment of any funky looking toenail. Chances are that if you peed on your toes, and discovered, halleluia brother, that this restored your strange looking toenail to its natural pristine beauty, you didn't have a fungal infection there to begin with.

https://www.medicinenet.com/fungal_n...r_fungal_nails
Aw, you must feel better telling me about my 10 yr toenail issue. And no I don't run to a doctor for every bump, scratch, burp and toenail whatever as I know many here do. This is the Alt Med group.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:39 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,985,635 times
Oil of oregano.

It works. Oil of oregano is incredible.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:53 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,233,743 times
The paint on treatments, such as Fungi nail, do work for a temporary “cure”. My husband has regular toe nails (not distorted), but they have a gray stain on the big toes. Fungi nail gave him pristine nails after a few weeks, but the stain came back eventually.

It’s worth a try if you just want your nails to look better for the summer, but it’s not a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine