Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:50 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,861,636 times

Advertisements

Talking to a member about AST and ALT numbers on labwork, I didn't know what they are but mine are very good and they are related to liver health. My liver is almost 80 yrs old and although I've been taking Milk Thistle for years and Grape Seed Extract I thought about the connection of GSE and the liver.

https://www.carefoundation.co.uk/liv...-seed-extract/

I've done enough alcohol over the years, and otc pain meds but the numbers come up good. So should I believe the numbers? Could the Grape Seed Ex being saving my liver too?

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/...iver-take-five
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM

131,213 posts, read 12,271,638 times
Maybe. Last year my liver tests came back elevated. A few months ago, I started taking grape seed extract, for hemochromatosis, ( it "supposedly" helps keep iron levels normal) & just last week I had more blood tests done & my liver levels were in normal range, despite going to a bbq/party with alcohol, the night before. My iron levels were good too. So I will keep taking it, as I feel it may benefit me, & it certainly is not hurting.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Maybe. Last year my liver tests came back elevated. A few months ago, I started taking grape seed extract, for hemochromatosis, ( it "supposedly" helps keep iron levels normal) & just last week I had more blood tests done & my liver levels were in normal range, despite going to a bbq/party with alcohol, the night before. My iron levels were good too. So I will keep taking it, as I feel it may benefit me, & it certainly is not hurting.
Beautiful, to get good news. GSE does so so much and after all these years I still keep finding "new" info. j

Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,522,723 times
I take Milk Thistle and this. This is proven for liver health and been around for many years since 1930. Originally from India.

Himalaya Livercare
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Himalaya-Li...-Capsules/3718

This will keep your liver enzymes in check.

Proprietary herbal blend
chicory (seed), caper bush† (root), chicory†(seed), caper bush (root), yarrow (aerial parts), black nightshade† (whole plant), arjuna†(bark), arjuna (bark), Cassia occidentalis† (seed), yarrow† (aerial parts), tamarisk† (whole plant), black nightshade (whole plant), Cassia occidentalis (seed), tamarisk (whole plant)

Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I take Milk Thistle and this. This is proven for liver health and been around for many years since 1930. Originally from India.

Himalaya Livercare
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Himalaya-Li...-Capsules/3718

This will keep your liver enzymes in check.

Proprietary herbal blend
chicory (seed), caper bush† (root), chicory†(seed), caper bush (root), yarrow (aerial parts), black nightshade† (whole plant), arjuna†(bark), arjuna (bark), Cassia occidentalis† (seed), yarrow† (aerial parts), tamarisk† (whole plant), black nightshade (whole plant), Cassia occidentalis (seed), tamarisk (whole plant)
Looks good. And I've been taking Milk Thistle for years but Grape Seed Ex even more years. So I get so much health protection from Grape Seed Ex. Never even thought about it and liver support.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:22 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,094,310 times
Far and away, the best thing to lower your liver enzymes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

However, lowering the #'s won't change the damage going on in the rest of your body if you're abusing your liver...

Old 07-08-2018, 11:03 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,368,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Talking to a member about AST and ALT numbers on labwork, I didn't know what they are but mine are very good and they are related to liver health. My liver is almost 80 yrs old and although I've been taking Milk Thistle for years and Grape Seed Extract I thought about the connection of GSE and the liver.

https://www.carefoundation.co.uk/liv...-seed-extract/

I've done enough alcohol over the years, and otc pain meds but the numbers come up good. So should I believe the numbers? Could the Grape Seed Ex being saving my liver too?

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/...iver-take-five
In the Atkins link, it says typical therapeutic dosage for Grape Seed Extract is 150-200 mg 4x/day. Is that how much you take each day? I'm taking only 120 mg/day right now, but am taking more milk thistle than he recommends.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
In the Atkins link, it says typical therapeutic dosage for Grape Seed Extract is 150-200 mg 4x/day. Is that how much you take each day? I'm taking only 120 mg/day right now, but am taking more milk thistle than he recommends.
My normal dosage has been 200mg a couple times per day. First dose on empty stomach when I wake up. I've been doing this for decades. Olympian Labs brand is my best choice these days.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:49 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,368,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My normal dosage has been 200mg a couple times per day. First dose on empty stomach when I wake up. I've been doing this for decades. Olympian Labs brand is my best choice these days.
Does taking it on an empty stomach help somehow? I'm taking mine with a meal.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Does taking it on an empty stomach help somehow? I'm taking mine with a meal.
You'll find directions to take on empty stomach and others will say take with food. Some have said they get stomach upsets so take it with foods. When I first started back in 1995 we were instructed to take on empty stomach this way it does not get all mixed up with foods...and I started that way and it's worked all these years...my later in the day dose is taken with foods as there has been food added to my stomach all day.

I have a pretty strong stomach all in all...so no upsets here.

As I said I take my first 200mg on empty stomach with my couple meds before I get going for the day.

Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine