Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of a doctor for myself or any of my friends or family members with respiratory illness advising them to wash their sheets . . .

I find it fascinating that a really harmless PSA - created in the spirit of helping those who might not have the greatest housekeeping habits, devolves into mud-slinging. There are some really nasty people who post *against* anything that is a natural remedy of sorts.
Interesting. I’ve never been to an allergy doctor who didn’t suggest LOTS of ways to avoid allegens in the home and out in the world. And I’ve been to quite a few in my 58 years.

My current allergy doc not only recommends frequent laundering of sheets, pillows and all bedding, but he specifically recommends products to use, the temp of the water and the length of the wash/dry cycles. He also has a list of preferred cleaners for all parts of ones home and a really handy chart with a cleaning (like vacuuming, dusting etc) and maintenance schedule(like changing filters, getting duct work cleaned etc ) that’s super helpful. If there’s something that can be done to mitigate exposure to allergens in the home, it’s in his packet of literature down to showering and washing your hair before bed to remove pollen collected during the day.

For those whose docs aren’t giving this advice, here’s a link to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Lots of good info on this site, including a Healthy Home section with suggestions for products and home maintenance.

Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have never heard of a doctor for myself or any of my friends or family members with respiratory illness advising them to wash their sheets . . .

I find it fascinating that a really harmless PSA - created in the spirit of helping those who might not have the greatest housekeeping habits, devolves into mud-slinging. There are some really nasty people who post *against* anything that is a natural remedy of sorts.
The problem is that your "PSA" is based on a fallacy: that doctors do not address environmental issues. You also brush off explanations for people not doing what you think they should be doing, especially elderly people.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
In the five-ten-fifteen minute appointment model, MOST doctors do not address basic, common sense natural remedies - a FEW COPD patients I have accompanied to appointments are given drugs, nebulizers, and sometimes oxygen - with all of these DIFFERENT doctors, not one ever advised them to address indoor air pollution - which sometimes includes dirty/old carpet & drape fibers, OLD pillows, etc. No one has ever suggested washing sheets in hot water or washing BLANKETS. Never.

It's sad that in the "Alternative Medicine" section, someone CANNOT create a common sense post without the pro drug people coming in to trash it.

It helps me understand how people can hate particular groups when they will not leave you alone.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is that your "PSA" is based on a fallacy: that doctors do not address environmental issues. You also brush off explanations for people not doing what you think they should be doing, especially elderly people.
Exactly. Most DO address these. I have had several allergy doctors over the years. ALL have advised washing sheets in hot water, doing a neti pot/sinus rinse, avoiding living in housing with carpet (or vacuuming weekly if I do have carpet), keeping humidity levels in a narrow range, etc. This idea that most doctors are merely pill pushers is ridiculous. Many suggest natural options FIRST and then when those fail, they go to medications. I don’t know who people are who keep on meeting doctors who are only pushing pills, but I have yet to meet these doctors. Most are happy to recommend natural/medicine free options, particularly if you tell them that you’d like to try avoiding medicines as much as possible. For example, I mentioned I was having a sinus issue and I just got a more gooey saline for my sinuses than the watery one I was using that was not helping as much. It was not a medication at all.

I had a relative who passed away after living in filthy surroundings and did she want to be in that situation? Absolutely not. However, she was in poor health and didn’t have the mobility to clean. She also had mental health issues and was a hoarder. This idea that she wanted to live like that or was unaware that it was a problem is ridiculous. She did know it was a problem because she was constantly getting sick. However, she simply didn’t have the stamina or mental health to be able to tackle the issue and the resources available to someone on a modest income were limited.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,065,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Interesting. I’ve never been to an allergy doctor who didn’t suggest LOTS of ways to avoid allegens in the home and out in the world. And I’ve been to quite a few in my 58 years.

My current allergy doc not only recommends frequent laundering of sheets, pillows and all bedding, but he specifically recommends products to use, the temp of the water and the length of the wash/dry cycles. He also has a list of preferred cleaners for all parts of ones home and a really handy chart with a cleaning (like vacuuming, dusting etc) and maintenance schedule(like changing filters, getting duct work cleaned etc ) that’s super helpful. If there’s something that can be done to mitigate exposure to allergens in the home, it’s in his packet of literature down to showering and washing your hair before bed to remove pollen collected during the day.

For those whose docs aren’t giving this advice, here’s a link to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Lots of good info on this site, including a Healthy Home section with suggestions for products and home maintenance.

Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
People are actually paying doctors for common sense household cleaning and home maintenance advice?

Quote:
In the five-ten-fifteen minute appointment model, MOST doctors do not address basic, common sense natural remedies - a FEW COPD patients I have accompanied to appointments are given drugs, nebulizers, and sometimes oxygen - with all of these DIFFERENT doctors, not one ever advised them to address indoor air pollution - which sometimes includes dirty/old carpet & drape fibers, OLD pillows, etc. No one has ever suggested washing sheets in hot water or washing BLANKETS. Never.
Well, as you point out, it's basic, common sense. Let's not rely on doctors to dispense that too.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:

It's sad that in the "Alternative Medicine" section, someone CANNOT create a common sense post without the pro drug people coming in to trash it.

It helps me understand how people can hate particular groups when they will not leave you alone.
COPD is very different from asthma. In patients with COPD (85-90% of COPD is caused by smoking), the lungs are damaged and that damaged is irreversible. Asthma on the other hand occurs in people with otherwise healthy lungs, but whose lungs overreact when exposed to allergic triggers. If COPD patients you accompanied to the doctor we’re using nebulizers and supplemental oxygen, they must have considerable lung damage. Perhaps the lung damage was severe enough that no amount of environmental cleaning/change would improve their conditions and that’s why the doctors didn’t focus on that.

Certainly maintaining a clean home is a good idea regardless, but it’s not a panecea to correct existing lung damage from COPD. Further more, due to low oxygen levels COPD patients tend to tire easily and may lack the strength needed to clean their homes. Hopefully they have family and friends for assistance, but some may not.

Asthma symptoms can, in some cases, be improved by maintaining as allergen free as possible home. And most allergists suggest measures to do so as part of their treatment plans.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-11-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
People are actually paying doctors for common sense household cleaning and home maintenance advice?

Well, as you point out, it's basic, common sense. Let's not rely on doctors to dispense that too.
When the doctor is an allergist and ones environment can impact allergies and asthma, then yes people pay for the advice. It’s dispensed as part of a new patient appointment and allergists consider it vital for a well rounded treatment plan.

And no, a lot of what an allergist recommends is not just common sense. It goes far beyond how someone in a non-medical role would advise you to clean your home or how is appropriate for those without asthma/allergy issues.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 07-11-2018 at 12:20 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
The initial premise of this thread was that cleanliness can impact health. Some people don't wash their sheets regularly, or in hot water - don't ever get new pillows (or wash them), don't know that old carpet breaking down releases fibers into the atmosphere, don't realize their blankets and comforters have to be washed/cleaned, etc., etc.

From a Feng Shui perspective, grime on surfaces can inhibit chi from flowing - creating "stuck" energy, and bad health.

All of the above is for anyone who did not realize the implications of not cleaning EVERYTHING . . . and of course, sick people and those with respiratory problems are more impacted than others - but cleanliness helps anyone.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:58 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
The initial premise of this thread was that cleanliness can impact health. Some people don't wash their sheets regularly, or in hot water - don't ever get new pillows (or wash them), don't know that old carpet breaking down releases fibers into the atmosphere, don't realize their blankets and comforters have to be washed/cleaned, etc., etc.

From a Feng Shui perspective, grime on surfaces can inhibit chi from flowing - creating "stuck" energy, and bad health.

All of the above is for anyone who did not realize the implications of not cleaning EVERYTHING . . . and of course, sick people and those with respiratory problems are more impacted than others - but cleanliness helps anyone.
As has been explained to you, some people with respiratory problems may be unable to do the things you want them to do.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:36 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Agree. People here are not arguing with the suggestions for maintaining cleanliness per se, they are arguing with the assumptions you make about how people get this information, why they choose or don't choose to do what you think they should, and your motive behind your assumptions. Primarily, it's that you are right. Everyone else is wrong. That some MD can't or won't help anyone manage their overall health. Also, that if someone doesn't follow your rules they are going to kill themselves. Just not true.

Another person growing up with an assortment of allergies and asthma speaking. Much worse as a kid, but I do remember my pediatrician and allergists giving my parents a laundry list (pun intended) of household management suggestions to help reduce them. Housecleaning, reducing pet dander, dealing with pollens, all of it. This was a long time ago, the 60's. With help from an allergy shots series I overcame just about all of them. Asthma pretty much disappeared for many years, but arrived for an encore a few years ago while I was living in a rainforest climate (molds, mildew, super-energy efficient house, etc). I went to my GP to get a prescription to handle attacks, and got basically the same laundry list for reducing triggers. The main difference was how to treat an attack...an inhaler instead of the old-fashioned pill. It is now a very rare occurrence once again despite the fact that I don't upend my house, sterilize everything I touch, or seal myself away from the world.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-11-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine