Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:31 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,077,588 times

Advertisements

Do you have reference book, or textbook, recommendations for any alternative methods?

Here are a few that have been useful to me:

Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine, David Hoffman

Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, Andrew Chevalier

The Green Pharmacy, James A. Duke

The Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods, James A. Duke

Herbs, An Illustrated Encyclopedia, Kathi Keville

Herbs for Health and Healing, Kathi Keville

Herbal Medicine, Dian Dincin Buchman

The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, Valerie Ann Worwood

The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Julia Lawless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
My two biggies for years before the internet are:

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by the Balch's

Alternative Medicine Magazine which I devoured when I got my monthly copy.

Have a bunch of other books for special issues but now it's the net. And my memory.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:27 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,360,468 times
My go-to reference is "The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine" by Dr. Michael Murray N.D. It is massive, over 1100 pages, with 150+ pages of references. I have other books by Dr. Murray also, but this one is the most comprehensive.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by the Balch's
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
"The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine" by Dr. Michael Murray N.D.

I have 1990s editions of those two, so I just ordered the newest editions.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:26 PM

I loved the 1990's Balch's book and lived with that bible. Now the internet serves me. No more book buying. I'm now concentrating on Solomon's Seal which I've posted about in the Supplement area here. Gotta get myself walking better after the body has been so messed with OA and the hip surgery and then knee mess. Talk about some complexities.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:49 PM

15 posts, read 8,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Do you have reference book, or textbook, recommendations for any alternative methods?

Here are a few that have been useful to me:

Medical Herbalism: The Science and Practice of Herbal Medicine, David Hoffman

Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine, Andrew Chevalier

The Green Pharmacy, James A. Duke

The Green Pharmacy Guide to Healing Foods, James A. Duke

Herbs, An Illustrated Encyclopedia, Kathi Keville

Herbs for Health and Healing, Kathi Keville

Herbal Medicine, Dian Dincin Buchman

The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, Valerie Ann Worwood

The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils, Julia Lawless

I find most of my information online, but I did invest in a Nutritional Almanac by Lavon J. Dunne, 5th edition. Snagged it for 3 bucks on ebay and it's like new. They had several from a library I guess, to sell. I do like being able to use a hard-copy once in awhile if I'm just tired of staring at a screen.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:44 PM

I started this thread because the books contain a lot of information that you won't find online, especially for herbal medicine. I use both books and internet resources. One doesn't replace the other.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I started this thread because the books contain a lot of information that you won't find online, especially for herbal medicine. I use both books and internet resources. One doesn't replace the other.

That's great to know, does one of your books tell when to take Apple Cider Vinegar so you don't wash away any vitamin supplements?? Because I sure can't find the answer online

Old 10-27-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardenel View Post
That's great to know, does one of your books tell when to take Apple Cider Vinegar so you don't wash away any vitamin supplements?? Because I sure can't find the answer online
Personally I don't think it will wash away any vitamins. But I would give a hour between takes. I take supps at various times of the day, some are best on empty stomach and some on food. So I would take the ACV in the mid time. How many times daily are you taking ACV and I suppose in water right. I've read best to take it 3 times daily but I never got to that. Hopefully someone else can be more definite on this.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Personally I don't think it will wash away any vitamins. But I would give a hour between takes. I take supps at various times of the day, some are best on empty stomach and some on food. So I would take the ACV in the mid time. How many times daily are you taking ACV and I suppose in water right. I've read best to take it 3 times daily but I never got to that. Hopefully someone else can be more definite on this.

I just take it once a day, but heard it was really good to start your day with it so I take it with about 6-8 oz of water Jamin. But I'm not finding if I should even have my coffee/chicory right away, which I always want that first, LOL! I guess it's a lot of trial, and maybe error. I have read that some folks do take it more often, I just figure I'll see how this goes. Same with my other supplements since I wasn't on any before the 8th of this month. Just thought I was eating well enough but my bloodwork showed a few things were out of wack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine