Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:09 PM

22,681 posts, read 24,687,721 times

Advertisements

Keto, probably good to get a glucometer and keto urine-strips. Your energy should go up when you have a decent level of ketones showing in your urine and most likely your blood-sugar will drop somewhat.

Full keto-adaptation can take a while, depends on the person..........that is when you usually get full energy and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,086,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
So just eliminate dairy for a little while and nothing else? i feel like i don't have much dairy in my diet though. Yes, the whey protein, but i have that once a week. other than that, the feta in my salad... i guess cheese on the pizza which is only once a week probably. Umm.. i don't eat yogurt, don't drink milk, rarely have any other cheese... is that really enough to trigger a reaction? not doubting your advice, just wondering... but I can definitely try that and it might be a good starting point.

Edited to add: my protein powder is pea protein i just realized, not whey.

Yes, a small amount could be problematic. If you decide to go this route, you can read about elimination diets and do what works for you.

If you find that a food group is a problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can never eat that food again. Some people have successfully reintroduced formerly problematic foods back into their diets after they've healed. Some can't.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,718,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Yes, a small amount could be problematic. If you decide to go this route, you can read about elimination diets and do what works for you.

If you find that a food group is a problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that you can never eat that food again. Some people have successfully reintroduced formerly problematic foods back into their diets after they've healed. Some can't.
Yes, each person has a different limit. I am lactose intolerant and can have some, but after a while I start to have problems. For example, if I have a big shake or a lot of ice cream, that is not going to work for me. I can have a small scoop, a little bit of pizza (or some without as much cheese), aged cheese, etc. I just have to watch my dairy intake during the day.

There are also some other items I can’t eat- like soy protein isolate is usually pretty bad for me and will give me awful digestive symptoms. I also appear to have issues with inulin/chicory root sweeteners and fiber and soy.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:02 PM

268 posts, read 228,297 times
Quote:
Several people have recommended doing the keto diet and it seems like it's some magical diet that will cure you of all your miscellaneous ailments, so curious what you guys think or if anyone here has tried it.

I'm on it and my blood sugar is back in the safe range. I lost over 20 lbs in the past 3 months. I had hoped my BP would fall a little but not so far. I can stand to lose another 20 to 30 lbs.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:31 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,259,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

ok thanks! maybe i will try that.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Thought of another question - if i give up dairy (and I'm thinking of giving up eggs too (i eat a lot of eggs lol))... how long should I give it to see how I feel to see if that's causing any issues? a week? or a month?

Old 09-13-2019, 12:28 PM

50,438 posts, read 64,253,963 times
It could be you are just allergic to something you’re are eating. Why not start with no gluten? Maybe you don’t need to go full tilt Keto.

I went low carb for a year, and felt very good. My issues were mostly digestive and I felt great without flour and sugar. I tried to stay under 25 grams at first, but for the long haul I loosened it up to include root vegetables and fruit, and weekly pasta.

The downfall for me was breakfast. There is practically nothing to eat but eggs and meat, day in day out. Even though I reintroduced grains and went back to a regular diet, the residual is that I don’t crave sweetness, and I dont like bread very much, unless it’s really really good. I dont like pizza much anymore and I’d still rather skip the bun on a burger.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,511,078 times
Quote:
Thought of another question - if i give up dairy (and I'm thinking of giving up eggs too (i eat a lot of eggs lol))... how long should I give it to see how I feel to see if that's causing any issues? a week? or a month?
Dairy is a strong possibility, so is gluten as mentioned. It could be the hormones in the dairy that is your problem. To avoid that, switch to organic or cut it out completely for a while at least. I highly doubt eggs are a problem and if you cut them out you would be missing out on some good nutrition. Other inflammatory foods would include refined carbs, vegetable and seed oils, and trans fats.

This article may shine some light on your problem.

What Dairy Can Do To Your Skin

Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 AM

3,126 posts, read 2,086,524 times
Quote:

Probably just a few weeks for someone like you with no known illnesses.

All of your symptoms could be, and often are, the result of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Suggestion: look up the vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause each of your symptoms and increase nutrient rich foods accordingly. In any case, eliminating dairy for a while is a good idea.

Your range of foods/nutrients sounds limited. You could reduce eggs and replace some servings with other nutrient-dense foods to include a broader range of nutrients. If you still have issues with reduced eggs, you could eliminate for some time to see if you improve. Eliminate processed and restaurant foods - the cold cuts, pizzas, wraps, powdered foods, panera, waffles, etc. - and replace them with nutrient-dense whole foods. It might be worth it to reduce gym time temporarily to give you more time to develop your diet. Changing the way you eat is time-consuming at first but it's easy once you figure it out.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Dairy is a strong possibility, so is gluten as mentioned. It could be the hormones in the dairy that is your problem. To avoid that, switch to organic or cut it out completely for a while at least. I highly doubt eggs are a problem and if you cut them out you would be missing out on some good nutrition. Other inflammatory foods would include refined carbs, vegetable and seed oils, and trans fats.

This article may shine some light on your problem.

What Dairy Can Do To Your Skin

The only reason I suspect eggs is that the symptoms seemed to develop around the time when i started eating 3 eggs a day... I realize now that 21 eggs a week is a bit much. Not saying i can NEVER have eggs, but maybe much less would be better.

I do remember reading that eggs can be a high inflammatory food. I know the AIP diet says no eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine