Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times

Advertisements

Organic Sucanat® - A Natural Alternative to Diet Sweeteners

Quote:
Many people ask what they can safely use as an alternative to diet chemical sweeteners. We use Sucanat in our home, and it's my sweetener of choice if you must add sugar to your foods. My best advice - don't use any sugars at all.

Sucanat stands for SUgar CAne NATural. It's an organic sweetener made from 100% certified organic sugar cane. It's minimally processed to remain a natural and very tasty sweetener. After the sugar cane is harvested, it is pressed to squeeze out the cane juice. The juice is clarified, filtered, and evaporated to remove excess water. The resulting syrup is then crystallized, and it is rich in a molasses flavor plus the vitamins, minerals, and trace elements found in the sugar cane plant remain as a source of nutrition.

How To Use Sucanat In Food

Quote:
Sucanat is not a pure chemical, it is a pure food.

It has received Kosher Certification: Kosher and Pareve - Kashruth

It has a lower sucrose level than conventional sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:49 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,622,031 times
Thank you jessaka. I am definately going to look into that. Jeannie

Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Thank you for this info. Sounds interesting. I have been using Stevia, which I purchase at the health food store. What do you know about Stevia?

I agree that regular refined suger should be avoided.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,365 times
hey thanks! I recently bought Stevia, but the first time I used it, I wasn't thrilled. I was planning to give it at least one more chance.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:59 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,002,722 times
I've been using STEVIA for sweetening hot and cold teas since 1989 ( I like NOW brand the best ). AGAVE Nectar is my favorite sweetener for non liquid items. Never tried sucanat. You caught my interest.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:24 PM

72,418 posts, read 18,204,513 times
Thanks for the info.I just started using Stevia. I will look into it.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
I use the liquid flavored stevia. I am currently using 'lemon drop' flavor. It's really good, and works great in my daily ACV(apple cider vinegar) drinks.
I could never get used to the powdered stevia, always that weird aftertaste. But you don't get it with the liquid.
Amazon sells so many flavors of it.

I'm with NewAgeRedneck on using Agave nectar. That by far is the best sweetener, but a little pricey.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:26 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
Stevia may very well be good, but I haven't read up on it. I didn't like the taste and tried to adjust it to not avail. Haven't tried agave nectar.

I read somewhere on the net that those on the islands that eat raw sugar as in the cane, don't get cavities or diabetes. Whether you can get diabetes from sugar I don't know, so I am not sure that that matters. I can no longer find the article.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I've tried three different brands of Stevia. There is only one that I like. It was a bit surprising at first, as I had to get used to using such a little pinch of it -- I do mean little. It's only a an 1/8 of a tiny pinch that you need. Any more than that, it has a strong taste. Mine comes with a teeny, teeny little dipper, and I usually only use half the amount of that to sweeten drinks. I do like it a lot.

When I first started, I was told to use it sparingly, and to try different brands. There's one (can't recall the name) that I didn't care for at all.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've tried three different brands of Stevia. There is only one that I like. It was a bit surprising at first, as I had to get used to using such a little pinch of it -- I do mean little. It's only a an 1/8 of a tiny pinch that you need. Any more than that, it has a strong taste. Mine comes with a teeny, teeny little dipper, and I usually only use half the amount of that to sweeten drinks. I do like it a lot.

When I first started, I was told to use it sparingly, and to try different brands. There's one (can't recall the name) that I didn't care for at all.
I have the powdered stevia with that eensy teensy little dipper. I only use the powdered form for making ice tea. It somehow works well in it for some reason. That little container of it has lasted for a few years now. I wonder if I will ever run out. I bought it at Trader Joe's for $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine