Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM

655 posts, read 916,429 times

Advertisements

Best thing you can do to stay away from doctors are:

Keep you weight down.
Exercise regularly.
Eat a well rounded diet, but do not go to extremes with any apsect.
Get plenty of rest on a consistant basis.
Reduce stress.
reduce stimulants such as alcohol, caffiene, etc.
do not smoke.
When you know something is wrong with your body, do not live in denial, see you doctor early. Ailments are easier to treat in their infancy stages.

Things like taking mega doses of vitamins, herbs, and other pink koolaid remedies will do little if anything for you.

And God forbid, when the day comes when your health fails you, your doctor will become your best friend and savior. Trust me on this. Just like attorneys,everyone hates them, until they need one. Cops too, lol

Best thing you can do, is try and stay healthy, active, exercise your mind and body and keep your fingers crossed. Your health and a long life span have more to with you genetics than any other single factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Best thing you can do to stay away from doctors are:

Keep you weight down.
Exercise regularly.
Eat a well rounded diet, but do not go to extremes with any apsect.
Get plenty of rest on a consistant basis.
Reduce stress.
reduce stimulants such as alcohol, caffiene, etc.
do not smoke.
The funny thing is just basically quoted everything that's written in KT's book. I wonder if you even read it as there is not THAT much advertisement going on there. Everything you said is common sense.
And in terms of herbs, it's all questionable. For example no doctor could help my sister with candida problems, only herbs and acupuncture did. So....there are always 2 sides to the story.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
And I take a great offense in your statement that supplement industry is full of con-artists. Are there con-artists in supplement industry? Yes. But it's not fair to say that it's full of them. There are plenty of very honest people who have seen great results with supplements and want to help others. And it goes for doctors too by the way.
Whoa, hold on...

I have been in the industry for 12+ years now as well as using supplements my entire life. I never said the industry was full of con-artists. I only said there was a perception out there that we are an industry of snake-oil salesman and Trudeau doesn't do anything to dispel that perception.

Most of the people I know in the industry are good, honest people who have a passion for supplements and/or got into alternative medicine because traditional medicine ran out of answers for them.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Whoa, hold on...

I have been in the industry for 12+ years now as well as using supplements my entire life. I never said the industry was full of con-artists. I only said there was a perception out there that we are an industry of snake-oil salesman and Trudeau doesn't do anything to dispel that perception.

Most of the people I know in the industry are good, honest people who have a passion for supplements and/or got into alternative medicine because traditional medicine ran out of answers for them.
Ooops - sorry, I misunderstood you.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Just saw this...

YouTube - Arrogant Doctors Can Kill You www.mercola.com

Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,353 times
I think taking care of yourself and researching different methods of self care is very important. I also think it is important to keep a balance between regular medicine and natural remedies. This country is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over medicated. People run for medicine to "fix" themselves every time something goes wrong instead of getting at the root cause. There is some good info in KT's books however I would not swear by everything he says.
I rarely take any OTC medicine and have only had one prescription in my life. I have not had the flu in over 10 years and have not had a bad cold in several. I do drink some natural juice supplements but thats it. Otherwise I try to eat well (but def do not deprive myself....hence the choc. cake in the kitchen now...that d*%$ Costco..)
and I get a lot of exercise and am very active. For me this works.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,788 times
[quote=travelmate38;3863606]The average person who gets cancer today will be cured, due to pharmaceuticals[quote]

Hardly anyone gets "cured" from cancer by chemo. You only go into remission and mostly years later it will come back. Chemo basically kills your systerm. Do you honestly think that these big companies WANT to find a cure??? There aren't looking for a cure, they are looking for something that will make you live longer, but still have to do "maintenance therapy", which by they still make money.

There is no money in a cure.....there is only money in treatment. They would be hurting there business if they found cures. Honestly if we can go to the moon they surely wouldv'e been able to find a "cure" to atleast one type of cancer.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Garson wrote:
I think taking care of yourself and researching different methods of self care is very important. I also think it is important to keep a balance between regular medicine and natural remedies.
I agree that taking care of yourself and researching different methods of self care is very important. However, I don't think that having a balance between regular medicine and natural remedies is a very helpful. Personally, I use natural remedies at least 90% of the time, and regular medicine 10% or less. I strongly encourage everyone to lean heavily toward natural remedies and rely upon regular medicine as little as possible. It make no sense to put poison in your body when a natural substance works better most of the time.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Btw NewAgeRedneck,I like the name...usually rednecks are not usually associated with new age stuff. That would be probably one of the few things where there'd be a communication gap between me and the local folk if I moved back to the south.
A visual I just had was this past season on Celebrity Apprentice when Trace Adkins was perplexed at what wheat grass was,lol.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
StuckPA wrote:
A visual I just had was this past season on Celebrity Apprentice when Trace Adkins was perplexed at what wheat grass was,lol.
Some of the country stars are far removed from nature. They wouldn't know wheat grass from wheat thins. The whole country thing is just a big act for some of them! Nothing wrong with that. It's just the way it is.

StuckPA wrote:
Btw NewAgeRedneck,I like the name...usually rednecks are not usually associated with new age stuff.
You might be surprised. Just about everyone these days seems to have some involvement with something that carries a NewAge label. Not everyone is comfortable talking about it becasue NewAge stuff is supposed to be off limits to certain elements of the population. What takes place secretly however, is a completely different reality.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-27-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine