Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US city most like Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Honolulu, Hawaii 4 26.67%
Houston, Texas 0 0%
Los Angeles, California 7 46.67%
Miami/Miami Beach, Florida 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 PM

54 posts, read 118,077 times

Advertisements

Based on personal experience and research, I feel that Rio de Janeiro is similar yet different of course to:

1. Miami/Miami Beach, FL
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. Honolulu, HI
4. Houston, TX

I choose Miami, FL and Houston, TX because they are US cities that are considered the gateways to Latin America. Los Angeles, CA and Honolulu, HI were picked because of the beach lifestyle expressed in both cities. I live in LA and I have spent a considerable amount of time in Miami and Honolulu. I have plans to visit Rio and Houston this Summer. I have also made plans to move to Rio for at least 2ys in November. Based on my research each city is in a humid sub-tropical climate zone except LA. Houston is the hottest due to the fact the heat is not moderated by the ocean as much as Miami and Honolulu. LA has more of mediterranean climate like Sydney, Australia and Sao Paulo Brazil. Houston generally has about 3 weeks of Winter weather. The waters in the Pacific basin around LA don't really get warm warm until September. Rio and Honolulu are generally 80 degrees F year round. Miami and Houston are generally in the 90s during the Summer and the 70s during the winter. LA is the the least humid of the 4 cities listed and generally a mild non-humid 70 F.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:31 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
LA without a doubt. 2nd biggest city in the country. Beaches. People are vain and obsessed with looks. Brazilian film industry located there. Gang problems.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM

I know this may sound weird but on an international stage, I feel Sydney, Australia (Bondi Beach)is similar to Rio. I visited Sydney the other Winter, their Summer, and the beach culture in Sydney was really out of this world. Granted, I haven't visited Rio yet; nevertheless, based on my research Bondi beach would fit well in Rio, Lol. Out of all the cities I've visited, I met more beach bums in Sydney than anywhere else including Honolulu. I met several wealthy British and Australian college grads that spend a year or so in Bondi before they have to enter the real adult world. Graduation present, LOL. People from all over were chasing the waves in Sydney. They have a real fun beach culture, like I suppose Rio does.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post
I know this may sound weird but on an international stage, I feel Sydney, Australia (Bondi Beach)is similar to Rio. I visited Sydney the other Winter, their Summer, and the beach culture in Sydney was really out of this world. Granted, I haven't visited Rio yet; nevertheless, based on my research Bondi beach would fit well in Rio, Lol. Out of all the cities I've visited, I met more beach bums in Sydney than anywhere else including Honolulu. I met several wealthy British and Australian college grads that spend a year or so in Bondi before they have to enter the real adult world. Graduation present, LOL. People from all over were chasing the waves in Sydney. They have a real fun beach culture, like I suppose Rio does.
Id visit Rio before you compare it to Sydney.

Seriously Rio is the LA of Brasil, but with better beaches. Sao Paolo is without a doubt the NYC of Brasil and Rio the LA. If you want Miami you would go to Fortaleza or Salvador. Recife might be close to New Orleans. For Honolulu it is Floripa.

You seem psyched for Rio. I think your kids would like too. You convince the wife yet?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:30 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I think culture is very similar to Los Angeles.

When I was in SP/Rio...everyone there compared Sao Paulo to NYC and Rio to L.A. It made perfect sense. All of the beaches, the fashion, the tv and entertainment, the plastic surgery, etc.

In the aesthetic sense....Rio is an incredibly beautiful place. So, of the four listed, Honolulu with the mountains and beaches and scenery.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:41 PM

cry-havoc:

She said the decision is mine to make, she dosen't want to do it. Her family is not very happy; they have been convinced its a Mad Max beyond the thunderdome area, LOL. She said she hope I'm doing it for career and not a mid life crisis. I have always been an adventurer and I feel the move the Brazil will be an adventure. I would rather go hang gliding than to the opera, thats the kind of person I am. I work 18 hour days and Dad always said if you work hard play hard. Since its on me, I pray I don't get I told you so, LOL.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
cry-havoc:

She said the decision is mine to make, she dosen't want to do it. Her family is not very happy; they have been convinced its a Mad Max beyond the thunderdome area, LOL. She said she hope I'm doing it for career and not a mid life crisis. I have always been an adventurer and I feel the move the Brazil will be an adventure. I would rather go hang gliding than to the opera, thats the kind of person I am. I work 18 hour days and Dad always said if you work hard play hard. Since its on me, I pray I don't get I told you so, LOL.
I think she could grow to like it. Just stay faithful. A gringo with a good job in Brasil is a good combination for you, maybe bad for your wife.

However, Rio can be a family city. You can live a good life in a nice place with a maid. Your kids can go to the best schools. It really depends what she is into.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
cry-havoc:

If it will make your wife feel any better my wife wants me to move to Brasil, while I want to stay. I love Brasil, but I prefer visiting family there, and vacationing to living there.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 PM

95 posts, read 196,587 times
LA without doubt but with better beaches

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM

230 posts, read 904,709 times
Hi Wargod,

I read quickly through the other thread you started but am going to reply to both here. I am an English teacher who has lived in Rio for most of the past 10 years. I have also lived in LA, so I think I have some basis for comparison. In regards to which US city Rio is most like, I would say it is a mix of different cities. In attitude it is very LA but the older part of the city is very dense. Maybe more like New York in that sense. In the newer part (Barra),it has the layout of South Florida, in that there are apartment buildings but they are not built next to one another, so you have to drive everywhere. The weather is probably closest to Miami, but there are mountains close to Rio so in summer, if you want, you can escape the heat. I noticed you mentioned Alphaville, that complex is in Barra but not next to the beach but not very far by car maybe 10-15 minutes. You should ask you company where the office is. If it is in Barra then living in Alphaville will be fine, if the office is closer to downtown then be prepared for an LA style commute (2 hours at rush hour) or I would try to live closer to the center. For 5,000 Reais that your company is paying you won't get much in Ipanema or Leblon (but in Barra you should be ok) for a family but there are other neighborhoods such as Flamengo where you could get a decent place. It kind of depends on if you want to live the city life or more suburban. In Barra you could also look at renting a house in a gated community. If you want the contact numbers of some other rental agencies who speak english, to compare prices with the agent you company is going through, feel free to PM me. As far as safety,it is true that Rio is a dangerous city but there are many many expats here in the oil industry with thier families and the fast majority have never had a problem. Before I lived in LA I lived in New Orleans and I can say New Orleans feels much more dangerous than here. You also don't have the types of gangs you have in LA. For example I have been in many Favelas (slums) and never had a problem. In general I would say they are statistically more violent here but at the same time have nothing to prove because of this. There is none of the showy ganster bs that you see in LA. For the most part they kill each other and the cops. That is not to say there is not a crime problem, because there is, but it is getting better and statistically the chances are small of anything happening. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas