Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US city most like Rio de Janiero, Brazil
Honolulu, Hawaii 4 26.67%
Houston, Texas 0 0%
Los Angeles, California 7 46.67%
Miami/Miami Beach, Florida 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:15 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think culture is very similar to Los Angeles.

When I was in SP/Rio...everyone there compared Sao Paulo to NYC and Rio to L.A. It made perfect sense. All of the beaches, the fashion, the tv and entertainment, the plastic surgery, etc.

In the aesthetic sense....Rio is an incredibly beautiful place. So, of the four listed, Honolulu with the mountains and beaches and scenery.

I agree with this "Sao Paulo - NYC, Rio - L.A." association.

In my view:

Sao Paulo - the NYC of Brazil

Rio de Janeiro
- the L.A. of Brazil

Belo Horizonte - the Chicago of Brazil

Fortaleza
- the Miami of Brazil

Salvador
- the New Orleans of Brazil

Belém
- the Seattle of Brazil (because of the rainy climate, and relative isolation in a NorthWest position)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

Belém[/b] - the Seattle of Brazil (because of the rainy climate, and relative isolation in a NorthWest position)
I was born and raised in Seattle and I always compare it to Porto Alegre when people ask me about where I am from. Never been to Belem.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

In my view:

Sao Paulo - the NYC of Brazil

Rio de Janeiro
- the L.A. of Brazil

Belo Horizonte - the Chicago of Brazil

Fortaleza
- the Miami of Brazil

Salvador
- the New Orleans of Brazil

Belém
- the Seattle of Brazil (because of the rainy climate, and relative isolation in a NorthWest position)
I agree with SP, Rio, and BH but after that we have some differences, Miami could be Fortaleza or Salvador. I think Recife is a better New Orleans.

For Seattle I would say Porto Alegre has another poster said. It also rains a lot there. Porto Alegre could also be compared to SF or Boston. Curtiba could compete with Porto Alegre for Seattle, SF, and Boston.

Brasillia is DC.

Floripa Honolulu.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
How is Florianapolis like Honolulu? Just curious.

I love Brazil and I love Honolulu....but I completely bypassed seeing/visiting Floripa when I was down there...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How is Florianapolis like Honolulu? Just curious.

I love Brazil and I love Honolulu....but I completely bypassed seeing/visiting Floripa when I was down there...
Ive never been to either, but I have to Hawaii and lots of Brasil so let explain my reasoning.

Hawaii is unique so nowhere can really compare it. However, Floripa is a city similar in size to Honolulu and built on beach tourism. It is somewhere you go to escape life and enjoy the beach. Also supposedly it is very tropical and beautiful natural, cant compete with Hawaii though.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 PM

230 posts, read 905,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Ive never been to either, but I have to Hawaii and lots of Brasil so let explain my reasoning.

Hawaii is unique so nowhere can really compare it. However, Floripa is a city similar in size to Honolulu and built on beach tourism. It is somewhere you go to escape life and enjoy the beach. Also supposedly it is very tropical and beautiful natural, cant compete with Hawaii though.
I've been to both but I was really young when I went to Honolulu. For me Floripa is more like the central coast of California, around Santa Barbara. Floripa is not tropical but subtropical and gets cool at night in the winter. Nice town but starting to get more crowded and growing in a disorganized manner.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
And Brasilia = Washington, DC?

I don't think those city analogies make much sense, the whole mentality and culture is just so different...

Old 07-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And Brasilia = Washington, DC?

I don't think those city analogies make much sense, the whole mentality and culture is just so different...
Both are capitals of their prospective government...

Rio is not LA.

SP is not NYC.

However, the whole point of this thread was to compare Rio to a US city. Some people took it further and compared other Brazilian to American cities. I think the Brasilia-DC analogy holds.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I've been to both but I was really young when I went to Honolulu. For me Floripa is more like the central coast of California, around Santa Barbara. Floripa is not tropical but subtropical and gets cool at night in the winter. Nice town but starting to get more crowded and growing in a disorganized manner.
Floripa is much bigger than Santa Barbara. I guess there might not be a good city in the US to compare Floripa to.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:35 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Floripa is much bigger than Santa Barbara. I guess there might not be a good city in the US to compare Floripa to.
Without having been to Floripa, but following the discussion, how about San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas