Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While this is broadly true, most Brazilian "whites" do have some black ancestry...and use that to explain why they cannot possibly be racist against blacks.

Honestly though, the Latin American attitude toward race is somewhat between American racism and colorism within the U.S. black community.

Some of the people who are most racist towards blacks are mulatos so that comment is an excuse.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Thomas Sowell is a capitalist. So with that said his message is very useful to black people. Do you know what will help black people? The pursuit of money. Because people treat you differently when you're sitting on money. If black people want respect they need to get more money. At the end of the day, everyone respects money in America. That's the color that really matters and that's the equality will come from

Maybe if your knowledge about blacks wasnt from Fox TV and other right wing dogmatic ranters you will know that black people pursue money as much as any one does.

Reality check. Most Americans dont have enough money that earns respect from any one so come again with another excuse.

Thomas Sowell adds NOTHING of value other than peddling making white racist assured in their beliefs. Indeed he built an entire thesis comparing West Indians with black Americans. Even as BOTH groups face similar problems living in the USA.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 AM

52 posts, read 112,111 times
Yawwwwn.

Old 06-12-2014, 03:21 AM

543 posts, read 999,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
Why do some of the hispanics in this thread and on the site want to become white?
I'll answer this with a few questions:

-When will people stop asking me "but you look white"?
-When will nobody doubt my "Puerto Rican-ness"?
-When will people stop saying "you sound more like Red and not like Daya, from 'Orange Is the New Black'"?
-When will people stop saying "you must be Croatian/Romanian/Hungarian/Bulgarian/Russian"?

I'd like to know, because then I'll stop "being white" and will get a very deep tan, collagen injections, fillers to no longer have defined bone-cheeks, eye surgery to make my eyes slanted, I'll start talking like Cheech Marin, and have all sorts of surgeries to have an "apple shaped" body.

I'm white AND Puerto Rican...deal with it!!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:28 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I always wondered, why are predominantly black islands like Haiti so poor and undesirable while Bermuda is a place favored by the rich?
It's not a rule since Barbados which is about 90 percent black is literally a first world counter or close.

Some islands are poor, some are good to go. Also from what I learned the British colonies ended up being more successful then the french colonies. That's a big reason why Martinique and Guadeloupe are comfortable still being owned by France rather than be independent.

Need to do more research though.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Rusev View Post
The reason it is hard to convince people is because the White population in Haiti is extremely minuscule. The White population in Haiti is so insignificant that even among rich millionaire Haitians it is rare to see a White face, let alone among the poor Haitian masses.

Haiti is not like the rest of Latin America, Haiti does not have a rich White ruling elite class that dominates the government and the television soap operas.

If Haiti produced their own soap operas, it would be dominated by Mulato phenotypes and not Caucasian phenotypes.

If Haiti had a sizable White population, Haiti would not be referred to as the Blackest country in the Western Hemisphere percentage wise.
You know you pretty munched described 90 percent of the Caribbean right?

I wonder do people realize that when they talk about the blackness of Haiti.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNative2891 View Post
Although Haitians (as a group) are genetically mostly African; you’ll hear many families citing ancestry from S.D., Jamaica, France, Cuba, and Martinique (examples). To say Haiti is demographically closer to ‘Sub-Saharan’ African countries is asinine. The Haitian definitions of race are very different from the rest of LA.

While the rest of LA was encouraging White immigration, Haiti was receiving free blacks from MANY colonies, territories and nations in the Caribbean and America and losing Mulattes & Whites to Louisiana, Quebec, France, Cuba, DR, etc.

Haiti has a ton of ‘Grimaud’ and ‘Grimel’ who in Africa or any other LA country would be ‘Mulatto’, but they are Black in Haiti. The ‘Mullate’ in Haiti are pretty much Quadroons and pure Caucasians are the only people really considered White. An Arab in Haiti is not considered ‘Blanc’, they’d be considered Arab.

In the North (and East), you’ll find more people with some sort of Afro-Cuban or Dominican ancestry. Outside of that, Northern Haiti is as Black as Ghana. To the South near Jeremie and Dame Marie, is where you’d find a bunch of ‘Grimaud and Grimel’ of French Descent (They won’t let you forget it either). In the middle you have the Ouest Department and P.A.P.

Port Au Prince has Levantine and other Asian minorities scattered throughout the populace. Port-Au-Prince used to be composed mostly of ‘local’ natives whose admixture (Loads of Brun, Grimaud, Blanc, and Arabs) is not like what we see today in the city. PAP was never meant to support the population we see today (used to be a city of 50,000).

Amongst the Haitian diaspora there is a phrase that is usually accompanied with a roll of the eyes “Tout moun sortie Port Au Prince”. This means “Everyone comes from P.A.P”. Haitians from the countryside have displaced the original population of PAP which was lost during several dictatorships and Brain Drains. The government used to even have special birth certificates for people born outside of PAP which indicated that they were “Peyizan” or “Peasant”.

In regards to Africa, the countries that would resemble Haiti demographically would be the nations in South and East Africa. Not in terms of ethnicity (It is well known the Haitian slaves were taken from Benin, Togo, and Ghana) but racial diversity. To a Grimaud Haitian, it’s an insult to say they are not Black. So race is also reported accordingly.

In Haiti there is a saying ‘Neg se Neg’. It literally means ‘Black is Black’. That’s why older Haitians will laugh if you tell them that Latin Americans as a whole; are not black. Especially Dominicans and Puerto Ricans. Haiti was founded by a Black and Mulatto Rebellion (with tinges of Taino) who were oppressed by a White ruling class.
I always wondered why Haiti didn't have as much Asian people as the other islands.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Jamaica, the Bahamas, St Kitts & Nevis, Antigua & Barbuda, Dominica, St Lucia, Barbados & Grenada are all in excess of 80% Black, and together make up the overwhelming majority of the English-speaking Caribbean. The countries you pointed out are exceptions, not the rule, and furthermore only T&T has a large population out of all of them. The Caymans are tiny, St. Martin is tiny (and ironically overrun with Haitians anyway lol) and St Vincent doesn't even have an international airport.
Yea plus Trinidad and Guyana and Suriname were big deal with the Indian slaves. Wow didn't know st Vincent didn't have an international airport lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:41 AM

[quote=caribny;35027658][quote=MassNative2891;34995874]Although Haitians (as a group) are genetically mostly African; you’ll hear many families citing ancestry from S.D., Jamaica, France, Cuba, and Martinique (examples). To say Haiti is demographically closer to ‘Sub-Saharan’ African countries is asinine.
Quote:

We can debate about how Sub Saharan African Haiti is, but what is not beyond debate is that its genetically the most "African" nation in the Americas, even when compared to islands like Jamaica.

1. When Haiti had its revolution the bulk of the slaves were recently brought from Africa. They would obviously be of 100% African descent.

2. Virtually all of the French whites, and a not insignificant % of the mulattos left. This is unlike Jamaica where the ongoing presence of whites provided additional opportunities for mixing.

3. Until relatively recently most Haitians lived in isolated rural communities, and so there would have been little interaction with people from other areas.

4. Much of the mulatto population were quite elite and held themselves aloof from the rest of the population. Much of the immigrant population don't socialize with the masses.

Bottom line is while Haiti does have a skin color continuum typical of the Caribbean, it has a much larger group of people who are pure African. Certainly when compared to countries like Guadeloupe.
Been to Guadeloupe before. It looked virtually the same except I saw more East Indian people. The part where my uncle lives is more diverse with mixed people. But from eye sight that country looked easily 90 percent black or black mixed even though I know the census doesn't say so.

Also that country has Dominican people literally everywhere.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
This sub-forum could be so much better, i'm yawning at this point as well. Every discussion seems to come to this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas