Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:10 PM

210 posts, read 394,340 times

Advertisements

mexico is not all latin american countries! currently millions more chinese and east asians are migrating to south america for business opportunities. Where there is money they will be !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mexico has a very large population of persons with Chinese heritage, as do most of the Latin American countries. The Chinese needed to emigrate from China and the Latin American countries would let them in. If they could not meet the immigration requirements of the USA or Canada, or if they already had family in one of the other countries, then that is where they went.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 PM

210 posts, read 394,340 times
wasn't he exiled from peru for his many wrongdoings? yes there is a large community of asians but strangely many i met do not identify with their asian ancestry just as peruvian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
President Alberto Fujimori (of Japanese descent) was the PRESIDENT OF PERU from 1990 until 2000! His daughter ran for President herself two years ago. So no, it does not surprise me that there is a large Asian community in Peru.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kiss1 View Post
wasn't he exiled from peru for his many wrongdoings? yes there is a large community of asians but strangely many i met do not identify with their asian ancestry just as peruvian.
Yes, he had to flee Peru in 2000, when his right-hand man was video taped bribing a member of Congress! I believe that man was Montesinos, once head of Peru's intelligence agency. He fled to Japan, but now he is back in Peru. He was put on trial for the corruption and dirty war against the insurgency that smeared the economic progress of his rule. I think he is still in prison there.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:34 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_kiss1 View Post
Its not that strange. In most countries, what truly matters is culture. In this case, if a person was born in Peru, speaks like a Peruvian, eats like a Peruvian, acts like a Peruvian , thinks like a Peruvian, etc; then he/she is Peruvian and they will identify as such. In most countries there is no need to use hyphens (ie. African-American, Jewish-American, Italian-American).

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Its not that strange. In most countries, what truly matters is culture. In this case, if a person was born in Peru, speaks like a Peruvian, eats like a Peruvian, acts like a Peruvian , thinks like a Peruvian, etc; then he/she is Peruvian and they will identify as such. In most countries there is no need to use hyphens (ie. African-American, Jewish-American, Italian-American).
Yes it is true that most Latin Americans do not have an identity crisis about nationality like we in the US do. I lived in for 10 years and the people who got the most home-sick and had a harder time integrating just as visitors,, believe it or not, we the Brazilians of japanese ancestry. They were in a great hurry to finish their studies and go home. The Peruvian Japanese were a little more flexible and felt closer to the Japanese people but that was explained to me by some of them as the result of the Peruvian government acquiescing to FDR and his executive order 9066. The Peruvians sent many of their nisei Japanese to the camps in the US but the Brazilian government steadfastly refused to send any of their Japanese population out of the country or persecute them in any way.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:52 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,979 times
I frequently go to this delicious hole in the wall Peruvian joint that is always filled with Asian looking people speaking spanish. Not sure if they are Chinese descent or not but wouldn't doubt it. At another Peruvian hole in the wall, the owner is a Japanese Peruvian.

Some family members of mine from Ecuador are of partial Chinese ancestry as well.

Chinese are everywhere.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
I frequently go to this delicious hole in the wall Peruvian joint that is always filled with Asian looking people speaking spanish. Not sure if they are Chinese descent or not but wouldn't doubt it. At another Peruvian hole in the wall, the owner is a Japanese Peruvian.

Some family members of mine from Ecuador are of partial Chinese ancestry as well.

Chinese are everywhere.
Where are these "holes in the wall"?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM

356 posts, read 1,065,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Where are these "holes in the wall"?
West Covina, California and upland California.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
West Covina, California and upland California.
West Covina I know and have some friends there so I'll try to find them next time I am out that way.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:51 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
I used to love going to La Caridad in NYC:
La Caridad 78 Restaurant New York City Upper West Side*|*Comida China y Criolla Est. 1968

Cuban-Chinese food. Waiters speak to you in English, to each other in Chinese and yell orders to the kitchen in Spanish.

But since its been discovered I have ventured here less often. The cuban ropa vieja is not as good as it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas