Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Why do people bring up Gullah as if every black American knows anything about it? I think the first time I heard of Gullah was online, and I had to wiki it. Most black Americans have the slightest clue about what gullah is. I bet you can take a random survey in the biggest cities in America, and I can bet 75% of most black Americans have no idea what Gullah is. Even blacks in the south have no clue. You may have small communities in Alabama, Mississippi or South Carolina who are even aware of it, and a smaller number who actually indulge in that culture.
Actually, Geechee/Gullah is very well-known by black people in the American South. And in case you didn't know, the people are known as Geechee among the sea islands of Georgia and Northeast Florida, and Gullah in South Carolina.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, Geechee/Gullah is very well-known by black people in the American South. And in case you didn't know, the people are known as Geechee among the sea islands of Georgia and Northeast Florida, and Gullah in South Carolina.

I lived in Georgia for 20 years. It's not well known in the south. You can quote me on that one. The only blacks who know anything about this are rural blacks from very specific parts of Alabama, Mississipi, and South Carolina. And it's a very very small group, probably doesn't make up 1% of the black people in this country. Most blacks in Georgia don't know the the F geechy or whatever it's called is. And you definitely won't find blacks in NYC, the midwest, or the West Coast either who has a clue. This is a very one off situation, that's not even close to being indicative of Black American culture.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

People keep trying to tie black American culture to West Africa. The bottomline there are no cultural ties. People are looking at similarities with a microscope, and trying to cling onto whatever they think they can find. The bottomline, blacks in America but replace the Irish and Scotish lower class. Read Thomas Sowell's "White Liberasls, and Black Rednecks". He actually talks about the similarities between black American culture and lower class Irish/Scotish culture in the late 16th century.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I lived in Georgia for 20 years. It's not well known in the south. You can quote me on that one. The only blacks who know anything about this are rural blacks from very specific parts of Alabama, Mississipi, and South Carolina. And it's a very very small group, probably doesn't make up 1% of the black people in this country. Most blacks in Georgia don't know the the F geechy or whatever it's called is. And you definitely won't find blacks in NYC, the midwest, or the West Coast either who has a clue. This is a very one off situation, that's not even close to being indicative of Black American culture.

OK, Silicon Valley, it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. And don't try to make some ludicrous claim about years living in a place in order to give your post(s) some credibility.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
People keep trying to tie black American culture to West Africa. The bottomline there are no cultural ties. People are looking at similarities with a microscope, and trying to cling onto whatever they think they can find. The bottomline, blacks in America but replace the Irish and Scotish lower class. Read Thomas Sowell's "White Liberasls, and Black Rednecks". He actually talks about the similarities between black American culture and lower class Irish/Scotish culture in the late 16th century.
Thomas Sowell --> Rented Negroes | Abagond

Quote:
...Read Thomas Sowell's "White Liberasls, and Black Rednecks"...
Appeal to Melanin | Abagond

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK, Silicon Valley, it is obvious that you don't know what you are talking about. And don't try to make some ludicrous claim about years living in a place in order to give your post(s) some credibility.

You formed your statement in a way to make it sound like this is common knowledge amongst blacks in the south and it's not. Blacks in general are pretty clueless about what gullah is. When I lived in the south I never got the impression that blacks there knew what gullah is. Outside of small groups the existence of gullahs is relatively unknown to majority of the blacks in this country. Even less are apart of it in any way. So you can't tie cultural affiliation to something so obscure.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
LOL You owned him. I can't believe African Americans think they're even close to Dominicans. Most Dominicans I know are very light skinned, at the very least 60+% European. Genetic tests of the northern region show this to be the case. They're some darker areas in the east and south, but alot of these are Haitian or Haitian Dominicans. The country is 20% straight Haitian, so it makes DR look like a black country. DR is genetically like Puerto Rico and Cuba. African Americans are more like Haitians.

I have never seen a light skin African American. They all look African to me.
You are an intelligent person, but this comment you made was ignorant and doesn't reflect the intelligence you have at all.

Dominicans are a nationality in which there are people of ALL races and racial admixtures.

African Americans (AAs) are an ETHNIC GROUPING of people, NOT a race. AAs can have any skin tone or skin color and they run the gamut in looks, phenotypes, and pigments. Most AAs are racially mixed race or multigenerational multiracially mixed (MGM mixed). Only a minority of AAs are predominately or purely racially black. About 5% of AAs have no detectable African ancestry.

Stacey Lattisaw is an example of a light skinned African American (AA). Most of or many of (if not nearly all) the prominent Civil Rights leaders and colored elites were of mixed ancestry and very light skinned and often had predominantly white European ancestry.

Walter White, Thurgood Marshall, Eartha Kitt, Lena Horne, Vanessa L. Williams are other examples of light skinned African Americans.

And as for your comment about Dominicans, are you telling me that every single dark skinned Dominican is from Haiti or not from there? Can you prove this ASSumption? There are plenty of dark skinned Dominicans that have absolutely NO ties to Haiti or ever seen or step foot in Haiti or ever even seen a Haitian before. There are plenty of dark skinned and black Dominicans that have continuously lived in Dominican Republic since the 1490s.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
I think the driving force behind so much interracial relationships is an attempt to produce light skinned kids.
Interesting I always just found darker skin to be a very high turn on. But recently found I have Black genes so if I was to produce children was it an attempt to produce darker skinned kids?

brushrunner

Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
LOL You owned him. I can't believe African Americans think they're even close to Dominicans. Most Dominicans I know are very light skinned, at the very least 60+% European. Genetic tests of the northern region show this to be the case. They're some darker areas in the east and south, but alot of these are Haitian or Haitian Dominicans. The country is 20% straight Haitian, so it makes DR look like a black country. DR is genetically like Puerto Rico and Cuba. African Americans are more like Haitians.

I have never seen a light skin African American. They all look African to me.
Haiti is not even pure black. Travel to Haiti and go to the interior and travel more and your ignorant ASSumptions will change very fast.

In addition there are many people in Haiti that have Taino and other Native American ancestry.

Also there are many mixed race Haitians that live in DR and abroad. The mixed race population in Haiti is in the substantial millions.

Haiti even has a sizable white minority.

Many Haitians also have Spanish, French, Arab, Asian, and even Jewish ancestry.

Get a passport and travel for goodness sakes.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
You formed your statement in a way to make it sound like this is common knowledge amongst blacks in the south and it's not. Blacks in general are pretty clueless about what gullah is. When I lived in the south I never got the impression that blacks there knew what gullah is. Outside of small groups the existence of gullahs is relatively unknown to majority of the blacks in this country. Even less are apart of it in any way. So you can't tie cultural affiliation to something so obscure.
What are you talking about? You have no credibility in this area--none. And you don't have the wherewithal to make any kind of headway into the knowledge/understanding of Black Americans in the American South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas