Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I have more hope that the grand kids of the millennials will.
Remember that the millennials will be influenced by their kids and grandkids to "lighten up." Because they never really experienced apartheid, they'll be more able to release it.

Their environment and future environment will also be much less advantageous--they will be in a society of pluralities rather than majorities and minorities.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Remember that the millennials will be influenced by their kids and grandkids to "lighten up." Because they never really experienced apartheid, they'll be more able to release it.

Their environment and future environment will also be much less advantageous--they will be in a society of pluralities rather than majorities and minorities.

That's why I have more hope for their grand kids. The millennials know a world where whiteness brings privilege, even if not enforced as forcefully as it was in earlier generations.

Given that they will not consciously transmit those values (as they think that they are post racial, even though benefitting from white privilege) their kids and grandkids will be more relaxed.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
What are you babbling about?

Why not worry more about a world where a man who has blue eyes and blonde hair isn't viewed more favorably than another with chocolate brown skin, full lips and tightly curled hair.

Don't expect me to endorse some "get out of blackness" strategy so that those who think that they are mixed can fool themselves into thinking that this means that they will get more than their less mixed LOOKING siblings. Because at the end of the day if society views blackness negatively it doesn't matter what you call yourself.

look at Latin America. Mulattos fighting to ensure that blacks know that they are Kings of the Ghetto, to quote an African American woman who used to live in San Juan, PR where she worked for Citicorp in municipal bond underwriting, when PR bonds where more marketable than they are today. She definitely indicated that in PR its being white, light skinned mestizo, or VERY light skinned mulatto that gets one places. The others can fight amongst themselves about who is 1/32 lighter than whom, so getting a different way to describe themselves, while they remain outside the corridors of power.

Put it this way, very few people looking like your typical reggaeton singer will be Governor of PR even after they put in an expensive suit. You will sooner get a black Miss PR to be a contestant at Miss Universe. So pull out all your DNA ancestry and fight about the 5% differentials between one person and another.
I think you just proved my point. From what you just wrote, blacks are perpetuating colorism more than whites. How can you expect whites to see past skin color under those circumstances?

Old 01-30-2014, 11:40 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I think you just proved my point. From what you just wrote, blacks are perpetuating colorism more than whites. How can you expect whites to see past skin color under those circumstances?

On what planet are you floating on? There are people like you who wail that you ought to be allowed to deny being black, based on a DNA test which shows that 20% of your ancestry is white. And not being honest enough to admit that you do so because you don't want to be associated with a stigmatized group.

If skin color really didn't matter I doubt that you would pay for a DNA ancestry test in order to validate your need to be called something other than black.

Yes I have had a DNA Ancestry test. The results didn't change how I chose to self identify either. All it did was to create a laugh that I am 2% Jewish from my mother's side. Should I now call myself a Jew?

Old 01-31-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
On what planet are you floating on? There are people like you who wail that you ought to be allowed to deny being black, based on a DNA test which shows that 20% of your ancestry is white. And not being honest enough to admit that you do so because you don't want to be associated with a stigmatized group.

If skin color really didn't matter I doubt that you would pay for a DNA ancestry test in order to validate your need to be called something other than black.

Yes I have had a DNA Ancestry test. The results didn't change how I chose to self identify either. All it did was to create a laugh that I am 2% Jewish from my mother's side. Should I now call myself a Jew?
Orthodox Judaism would say that you are entitled to be called a Jew if that 2% comes from your straight maternal line. Are you not aware that there are black Jews?

Admitting that you have a minority of genetic material from another ethnic group does not mean you are denying the majority contribution. In my opinion, recognition of the minority contribution --- not just blacks with white genes but whites with black genes --- should make prejudice based on skin color seem irrational to more and more of the population. If you are prejudiced against someone who has black skin and you discover that person has a significant ethnicity which you yourself share, then are you not exhibiting prejudice against your own ethnicity, too?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:30 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Admitting that you have a minority of genetic material from another ethnic group does not mean you are denying the majority contribution. In my opinion, recognition of the minority contribution --- not just blacks with white genes but whites with black genes --- should make prejudice based on skin color seem irrational to more and more of the population.
And why in this society would most white people want to recognize a few percent of "black" genes?

Quote:
If you are prejudiced against someone who has black skin and you discover that person has a significant ethnicity which you yourself share, then are you not exhibiting prejudice against your own ethnicity, too?
First, you've thrown in the term "ethnicity" which has nothing directly to do with genetics. Some ethnic groups are despicable. A person might very well reject an ethnic group that some ancestor might have been part of.

In other cases, what good would it do? I haven't had a DNA test done, but I know already that I have at least a Scottish great-great-great grandfather and a Comanche great-grandmother. But neither group will accept me as being one of them, so what good does it do me? So what?

And if either of those groups--in rejecting me--acted with extreme prejudice and malice toward the group they set for me, why should I not reject them for having that prejudice as part of their ethnic ethic? Why would I cling to some measure of pride in a group that is malevolently prejudiced?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:28 PM

47 posts, read 90,416 times
Afros are not mixed people. we have admixture but we are not mixed.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Princess View Post
Afros are not mixed people. we have admixture but we are not mixed.
Care to explain the difference?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And why in this society would most white people want to recognize a few percent of "black" genes?

First, you've thrown in the term "ethnicity" which has nothing directly to do with genetics. Some ethnic groups are despicable. A person might very well reject an ethnic group that some ancestor might have been part of.

In other cases, what good would it do? I haven't had a DNA test done, but I know already that I have at least a Scottish great-great-great grandfather and a Comanche great-grandmother. But neither group will accept me as being one of them, so what good does it do me? So what?

And if either of those groups--in rejecting me--acted with extreme prejudice and malice toward the group they set for me, why should I not reject them for having that prejudice as part of their ethnic ethic? Why would I cling to some measure of pride in a group that is malevolently prejudiced?
So you will reject an entire ethnic group based on the behavior of a segment of that group? How large a segment must it be? One member?

If you have a Comanche great grandmother, you could be eligible for tribal membership, since the requirement is for 1/8 Comanche blood:

Blood Quantum Native American Indian Tribal Enrollment

As for us Scots, if you are a descendant of one of us, welcome to the clan!

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Care to explain the difference?
I think he or she means they have a 90 - 10 percent mix but not a 50 - 50 mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas