Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the average African-American a mulatto?
Yes 53 43.44%
No 69 56.56%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 07:23 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Most African-Americans are at the 25-30% percent range, as has been repeated throughout this thread. That's why there would be a logical "cutoff" of 25% or so to say one is "African-American."

To say that every African American is "biracial" makes meaningless both terms. Or, to paraphrase one of my favorite animated movies, "If everyone is biracial, then nobody is biracial."

But the word does mean something because cops, hiring managers, prospective fiancee's parents, and others still have attitudes one way or another about people who look African-American.
No, if everybody is biracial, then everybody is biracial!

Then, we have taken a giant step toward changing perceptions!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:36 PM

98 posts, read 117,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What ratio do you feel would deserve to be called "mixed"?
50 50 or close to those percentages. 60 40. I refuse to call African Americans mixed because on average they are a minuscule 20-25% that is outrageous. It is a double standard to cry about the one drop rule but deny African Americans the right to call themselves black because they have equivalent one white grandparent despite generationally being nothing but black.

It is absolutely absurd and considering the history between the two groups African Americans do not have to acknowledge nor accept the small admixture. I know no one is saying this on this topic but on several forms their is some idea that because African Americans have small admixture they are a mixed ethnicity and therefore aren't true black people and attempt to further seperate them from Africa more then they already are. It is defiantly not their fault they are over here or the women raped. (Not saying all slave owners or relations were rapest/rape)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
No offense, but who are you to determine how someone defines him or herself?
No offense, but who are you to even question me? It is my opinion and I think it makes sense.

Quote:
Most African-Americans are at the 25-30% percent range, as has been repeated throughout this thread. That's why there would be a logical "cutoff" of 25% or so to say one is "African-American."

To say that every African American is "biracial" makes meaningless both terms. Or, to paraphrase one of my favorite animated movies, "If everyone is biracial, then nobody is biracial."

But the word does mean something because cops, hiring managers, prospective fiancee's parents, and others still have attitudes one way or another about people who look African-American.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
50 50 or close to those percentages. 60 40. I refuse to call African Americans mixed because on average they are a minuscule 20-25% that is outrageous. It is a double standard to cry about the one drop rule but deny African Americans the right to call themselves black because they have equivalent one white grandparent despite generationally being nothing but black.

It is absolutely absurd and considering the history between the two groups African Americans do not have to acknowledge nor accept the small admixture. I know no one is saying this on this topic but on several forms their is some idea that because African Americans have small admixture they are a mixed ethnicity and therefore aren't true black people and attempt to further seperate them from Africa more then they already are. It is defiantly not their fault they are over here or the women raped. (Not saying all slave owners or relations were rapest/rape)
The mixture is there whether one is a "white" with 5% African genetic heritage or "black" with 20% European heritage.

The admixture is a fact.

No one can separate an African American from his African heritage unless he allows it, no matter what degree the admixture is.

Anyone is free to choose the culture with which he identifies, whether the admixture is 50% African/50% European or 75% African/25% European. And anyone with any admixture ratio is free to identify himself as biracial (or multi-racial) if he desires. No one can "deny African Americans the right to call themselves black". That includes those who have been surprised to find their European admixture was far greater than 20%.

P.S. I do not think the "one drop rule" is an issue any more.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 PM

98 posts, read 117,677 times
Quote:
The mixture is there whether one is a "white" with 5% African genetic heritage or "black" with 20% European heritage.

The admixture is a fact.

No one can separate an African American from his African heritage unless he allows it, no matter what degree the admixture is.

Anyone is free to choose the culture with which he identifies, whether the admixture is 50% African/50% European or 75% African/25% European. And anyone with any admixture ratio is free to identify himself as biracial (or multi-racial) if he desires. No one can "deny African Americans the right to call themselves black". That includes those who have been surprised to find their European admixture was far greater than 20%.

P.S. I do not think the "one drop rule" is an issue any more.
I agree with you, admixture is admixture, however I just think acknowledging it is irrelevant.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeWine View Post
I agree with you, admixture is admixture, however I just think acknowledging it is irrelevant.
Acknowledging it is up to you, of course.

However, when we finally accept that all of us are "mixed", just some more than others, we can sound the death knell for racism. Other prejudices may linger, but skin color will become no more important than the color of the car you drive. Also, maybe then we can appreciate cultural differences without being threatened by them.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:08 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
No, if everybody is biracial, then everybody is biracial!
No, if everyone is biracial, then the word means nothing.

But everyone is not biracial because as a practical social matter on the street, the word "biracial" really means "racially ambiguous."

Otherwise, the prefix "bi" means "two," not "multiple." Those people who claim the term "biracial" generally mean that each of their parents is a distinctive race.

Most X-Genners and Millennials appear to be unaware that for the last hundred years, "colorism" among African-Americans led many to favor marrying only those who are light-skinned.

Because interracial marriages with blacks was illegal in the majority of states until 1967 (and at some point in history in all states except Hawaii and Alaska), the credo of "don't marry anyone darker than you" is what led to the great majority the "biracial-looking" light skinned African Americans of the War, Boomer, and X- generations. A light-skinned black person of those generations will more likely be the result of two light-skinned black parents--or a random selection of genes between two darker-skinned parents--than an interracial marriage. They are not bi-racial, just light-skinned.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Acknowledging it is up to you, of course.

However, when we finally accept that all of us are "mixed", just some more than others, we can sound the death knell for racism. Other prejudices may linger, but skin color will become no more important than the color of the car you drive. Also, maybe then we can appreciate cultural differences without being threatened by them.
But we have a majority in America who are quite fond of the race that they are--it conveys to them great social privilege and status...so that's not going to happen for at least another hundred years.

Louis CK gets it.

Louis CK - Being White - YouTube

Old 01-30-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
No, if everyone is biracial, then the word means nothing.
That's the point. The sooner we get to the point where race means nothing, the better.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
That's the point. The sooner we get to the point where race means nothing, the better.
I thought that was happening 40 years ago. I discovered over the last few years that the US is as far from it now as it was in 1960. I realize now that it's not happening until at least the Boomers are dead.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I thought that was happening 40 years ago. I discovered over the last few years that the US is as far from it now as it was in 1960. I realize now that it's not happening until at least the Boomers are dead.
Maybe. But some of us boomers have been ready for it since the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas