Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Tons of fatties in Chile.
There are some overweight/obese people in Chile ("fatties", huh? Stay classy! ) but it can't be compared to US/Mexico rates of obesity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I blame it on fast food rising in popularity. Not that I think many Latin American diets are particularly healthy but people generally eat less processed foods.
I agree. My Central/South American co-workers still try to cook their own food at home. The rest of us just bring something quick like a sandwich or something unhealthy that's ready to nuke in the microwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,370,922 times
There are a lot of overweight people in Argentina and the problem is not new, although like in everywhere it's getting worse. Anyway I don't know how it qualifies compared of other Latin American countries and the USA. I guess the situation is still a lot better than the USA.

I don't think the problem is mostly based on the rise of fast food/procesed food, but an overall change of life, which I am surprised it was not mentioned. People are getting more and more sedentary. They get up, go to work by car/public transport, stay sit at a computer many hours, eat, go back home, eat, stay sit at a computer some hours else, and the go to bed.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

9 posts, read 7,665 times
As a Puerto Rican I have to say that while I love our traditional diet, all those fried delights are not very healthy, nor is our ubiquitous rice and beans. On the other hand, tomatoes and leafy greens don't grow well on the island. Another factor, a universal one, has to do with poverty. I have known people in the US who relied on laundry starch to keep their bellies full.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It's pathetic and the government should stay out of people's lives.
You mean like in Somalia?

Old 03-15-2014, 02:56 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean like in Somalia?
Yes jtur, like in Somalia.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
^^Lmao

Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
^^ More laughter here ^^ 8)

Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,966,446 times
The Somalians are probably not laughing.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
I followed a diet with a coach for 15 months. And I continued alone since one year, because it's a daily diet, very healthy, without frustration. I lost about 119 pounds without difficulties. I adopted a new eating behavior, I still have about 65 pounds to lose, and I think my goal of December 31. I'm so happy and so proud of my efforts If anyone is interested, I can provide information. The coach is called Justine d'Assise. She wrote a book to explain its program, I think the title is "Slim", something like this ... try it you will see ...

Old 01-16-2015, 12:49 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
So BBC News posted this article about rising obesity rates in the developing world: BBC News - Obesity quadruples to nearly one billion in developing world

And I was particularly taken aback by Latin America, where the rate of overweight or obese adults has nearly doubled since 1980, to a point almost on par with Europe and not too far behind North America- home of the infamously fat USA.

With that said I'm not totally surprised; on my last trip to Puerto Rico I noticed way more obese people then when I was there in the 90's, and one guy in Mexico was over 1,000 lbs a few years ago. It seems to me like many people think of this as a "first world problem", but that's really not the case.

To those with experience, how extensively does the Latin American media report the issue? Any comments on the situations of particular nations?
I think a few things are to blame. I think a big reason is that a lot of Latin American diets were built around a large peasant/agricultural class so think lots of carbs and meat for a long day of manual labor. The diet isn't in line with the reality of most people now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas