Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Excellent post, especially about the cultural component. I come from a Puerto Rican family, and the mentality in the culture is to eat as much as you can while you can; and compared to Wasp men, latinos don't mind fat women as much, if not going so far as to even prefer a partner who's a little overweight. I once debated my sociology professor on this; he wanted to chalk disparities in US obesity rates entirely up to financial access to healthy food, but with many Latino people here they have a totally different attitude about eating and weight than white people.
Well I agree to an extent. You are right about Latinos generally being more tolerant of a little extra weight. But there are a lot of obese white people. The average White person in USA I'd say has a poor diet or is not knowledgeable on nutrition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM

491 posts, read 752,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think a few things are to blame. I think a big reason is that a lot of Latin American diets were built around a large peasant/agricultural class so think lots of carbs and meat for a long day of manual labor. The diet isn't in line with the reality of most people now.
Ahh, I can tell you then when I was flying in the UK I got carb-poisoned... "chip-butty" anyone? Not so much so in Argentina and Chile as people seemed to eat a lot of fish/shellfish (More in Chile) and meats (More in Argentina).

I think wheat and corn starch is the no1 fattener in the world.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:22 AM

48 posts, read 49,408 times
Because some countries are always eating, Mexicans for example, and their food is not healthy, plus, Amerindians are more prone to obesity, as it can be seen in Mexico or among Native Americans.

Food is not healthy in many countries, take Colombia, Brazil, etc.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:48 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Expect waists to expand in countries like the Dominican Republic. As of late, American fast food chains like McDonald's are going through an expansion fase that includes areas with a sizeable middle class beyond Greater Santo Domingo or Greater Santiago.

Case in point, a few weeks ago McD's open its first new restaurant in Puerto Plata which technically makes it the first McD's on the north coast. This Canadian made a movie about this. BTW, who takes a video when a bank is moving out or filling a branch with cash? You can even see the armored vehicle. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZ68XrkGhU

McD's in the DR is geared mostly to Dominicans, but the McD's in Puerto Plata while geared towards Dominicans is the first in a beach tourist area. As crazy as it sounds, to this date there is not a single McD's in the Punta Cana area given that's where most tourists go. However, they are currently building new ones in San Francisco de Macorís, La Vega and other places hardly visited by foreigners.

This was taken last week around 2am at in one of the McD's of Santo Domingo. Young Dominicans everywhere and most of the women with curves... for now. McD's is doing its part to change that. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpVgWgUzO4

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-07-2022 at 07:00 AM..

Old 03-07-2022, 08:40 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Expect waists to expand in countries like the Dominican Republic. As of late, American fast food chains like McDonald's are going through an expansion fase that includes areas with a sizeable middle class beyond Greater Santo Domingo or Greater Santiago.

Case in point, a few weeks ago McD's open its first new restaurant in Puerto Plata which technically makes it the first McD's on the north coast. This Canadian made a movie about this. BTW, who takes a video when a bank is moving out or filling a branch with cash? You can even see the armored vehicle. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeZ68XrkGhU

McD's in the DR is geared mostly to Dominicans, but the McD's in Puerto Plata while geared towards Dominicans is the first in a beach tourist area. As crazy as it sounds, to this date there is not a single McD's in the Punta Cana area given that's where most tourists go. However, they are currently building new ones in San Francisco de Macorís, La Vega and other places hardly visited by foreigners.

This was taken last week around 2am at in one of the McD's of Santo Domingo. Young Dominicans everywhere and most of the women with curves... for now. McD's is doing its part to change that. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpVgWgUzO4
I see some "curvy" women here, but I do not see any who are morbidly obese. I mean "curvy" in it's original meaning - an hour glass figure.

McDonalds food in awful on every level. I have no idea why anyone wants it or eats it. In my lifetime, I have seen the proliferation of two thinks - obesity and fast food.

Old 03-08-2022, 08:58 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
With all the obesity, wouldn't there be a high percentage of diabetes? Hispanics are a higher-risk population.

Old 03-08-2022, 09:08 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
China and India are the diabetis capitals of the world,but looks like we are doing a good job catching up with them,kids drinking calorie loaded soft drinks,eating donuts,pizza,icecream and playing video games .
Some one pointed out the weight gain has to do with growth hormone used in cows,chicken,pigs even veggies.
also for adults,anti depressant drug interfered with body metabolism of carbos,thats how they end up gaining 35-50 lbs

Old 03-08-2022, 09:25 AM

people in poor countries tend to eat less meat and more carbos,so they get fat!

Old 03-08-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
With all the obesity, wouldn't there be a high percentage of diabetes? Hispanics are a higher-risk population.
but they are physically more active than we are,many dont have cars so they either walk or take public transportation .
processed food is expensive and they dont eat as much sugary desert or drink soda

Old 03-08-2022, 12:15 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I am not sure about S. America but McDonald's food in EU is healthier than in the US. So, maybe they have different standards for there too.

It has been 7 years since this thread has been created, so there must be some stats about how McD food changed the population weight...

In Dominican Republic there are just 31 McDonald's or 1 for 350 000 people per outlet, so - not really popular there.
You can check on other countries here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...7s_restaurants

Last edited by elnina; 03-08-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas