Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 PM

567 posts, read 893,480 times

Advertisements

If so where and how was your time?

Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,872,838 times
Yes, to Mexico several times, in Mexico City and the Yucatan peninsula. A very diverse country, interesting climates and food. Mexico City is really just like any other city and has all kinds of museums, zoos and monuments. I must say that the poverty in Mexico is on a whole different level than anything I'd ever seen in my life, not to be rude, but it was definitely a shock. I really like the Yucatan because of the Mayan ruins, tropical weather, and incredible resorts nearby. I had a great time every time I went to Mexico, whether I was in Mexico City, the Yucatan countryside, or a resort.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,560,820 times
Hope to visit Brazil one day. Every person from Brazil that I have met in the U.S. has been very kind.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 AM

231 posts, read 464,092 times
I've been to Mexico numerous times, whether its on the West Coast, Ensenada or Mazatlan, and plenty of times to Playa Del Carmen and Tulum on the Yucatan. I have a great time every time.

I've also been to Puerto Rico. Great time.

I'm going to Medellin, Colombia this friday for a few days. I'll report back on that.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:40 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,733,940 times
When I was in Mexico City, I got asked if I was local.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM

567 posts, read 893,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Hope to visit Brazil one day. Every person from Brazil that I have met in the U.S. has been very kind.
I can definitely second that, Brazilians are pretty awesome. Very sociable and will take you into their homes and social circles in a heart beat.

I'm actually quite surprised about everyone going to Mexico, out of ignorance, I always thought that Black Americans would be treated differently when going there. I saw things like this

Negrito Bimbo - Comercial 2012 - YouTube

and this

Memin Pinguin Comics

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...guin_comic.jpg

I mean you got to admit the video is funny, but it its evident that there are some existing racial stereotypes that I thought would adversely affect a Black person's reception in Mexico, but judging from the responses, I'm being pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM

231 posts, read 464,092 times
The only time I was confronted with a racial stereotypes there was back in 2004 when I was in Mazatlan. A lot of the other tourist staying at the resort were from the graduating class of a University in Guadelajara, in the state of Jalisco. I'm guessing that it was far enough into real Mexico that they probably had never seen a black person, let alone one from the States. So the guys would routinely ask me to rap for them. You could just easily ingore them.

Although the women were totally into me.

As for other experiences, if your in a super touristy destination your going to get aggressively propositioned to be sold items by street vendors. This will happen regardless of your race, but being black they would yell stuff like "Hey, Cool Moe D, come check out these trinkets" or "Yo homey" or "Mr. Hollywood" something along those lines.

These are isolated and in no way influenced whether I had a good or bad time or not.

As a guy I can say that the girls will be very curious. And not in that "I want to marry you for a green card kinda way" that white dudes experience. So that's a plus.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:35 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,443,556 times
According to the posts we see here in this forum, the impressions are that they have very litlle and folkloric experiences to Latin America, that there´s nothing to do about day by day life here.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,809,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
The only time I was confronted with a racial stereotypes there was back in 2004 when I was in Mazatlan. A lot of the other tourist staying at the resort were from the graduating class of a University in Guadelajara, in the state of Jalisco. I'm guessing that it was far enough into real Mexico that they probably had never seen a black person, let alone one from the States. So the guys would routinely ask me to rap for them. You could just easily ingore them.

Although the women were totally into me.

As for other experiences, if your in a super touristy destination your going to get aggressively propositioned to be sold items by street vendors. This will happen regardless of your race, but being black they would yell stuff like "Hey, Cool Moe D, come check out these trinkets" or "Yo homey" or "Mr. Hollywood" something along those lines.

These are isolated and in no way influenced whether I had a good or bad time or not.

As a guy I can say that the girls will be very curious. And not in that "I want to marry you for a green card kinda way" that white dudes experience. So that's a plus.

I lived in Oaxaca for a few months doing research with a group of students. One of the guys in my group was an African-American. When we would go out the Oaxacan girls swooned over him everywhere we went. They were so interested in getting to know him and talk to him. Many of them would flutter their eyes and gush as if he were a movie star. I had never seen anything like this. lol

Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,251,878 times
Brazil is a great place to visit. Rio and my new fav city Salvador, have tons of residents whom embrace their heritage as a mixed culture, meaning their blackness, indigenous, European. Sao Paulo, eh, not so much. But liked it. Columbia was not that bad either. I have only done the touristy parts of Mexico, and its truly hit or miss when it comes to those areas. But for sure, Brazil is by far my favorite Latin American destination. And as an American of color, it always amazes me the conversations you have with these people...very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas