Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 06:30 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Celtic View Post
Afrolatinos don't belong to any Anglosaxon minority or sect, no relation whatsoever with AA.
They are more related with American mainstream.

Is this a fact, or is this what you wish. Surveys by the Pew Institute suggest that black identified Hispanics living in the USA have LOWER household incomes when compared to other Hispanics, and are NOT better off than are African Americans. In fact in Miami Cuban blacks in 2000 were WORSE off than were black Americans.

Folks are always trying to drive a wedge between the various black identified groups in the USA. However the longer that black immigrants live in the USA the more they learn that they are defined as "black" with all it implies, regardless as to whether these immigrants identify or do not identify with African Americans.

When the cops in NYC assaulted Amadou Diallo, Abner Liouma, and scores of Caribbean and African blacks in NYC they didn't ascertain whether they were African American or not. They saw a black man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 8,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoan Pict View Post
Not really, no Latin will step back and become AA no matter their colour, nothing to do.

Cops do distinguish Latins and subsaharans right away.
so you mean to tell me if a cop in the USA saw say...Brazilian actor Douglas Silva or Brazilian rapper MV Bill..they would be recognized as Latinos right away and not (assumed of being)African American or Black?Get outta here. My wife is Brazilian and she is as Black as I am.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardstephen View Post
so you mean to tell me if a cop in the USA saw say...Brazilian actor Douglas Silva or Brazilian rapper MV Bill..they would be recognized as Latinos right away and not (assumed of being)African American or Black?Get outta here. My wife is Brazilian and she is as Black as I am.
Don't worry with him. He is an example of the Angry White Man. Black men suffer the pangs of racism regardless as to whether they come from Dakar, Kingston, Havana, Rio, or the Mississippi Delta.

Abner Louima, Amadou Diallo, Zongo, Dorismond, and the many black immigrant men who were unjustly assaulted, and in some instances KILLED by the police, can bear testimony to that. Indeed a Dominican, whose ball accidently bounced off a police car several years ago was killed by them as a result. His mother is very active in the struggle against police brutality.

Indeed just last week a black Latino family celebrating a kid's birthday ended up severely injured by cops who just broke in unwarranted. Of course the kids were traumatized. A Puerto Rican woman who was very pregnant was smashed to the ground by some cops not that long ago.

It is indeed possible that cops might more quickly confront black and other non white "immigrants" and their kids as they are less familiar with how to interact with the cops, as indeed the criminal element among black Americans definitely are.

Last edited by caribny; 10-27-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:05 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Interesting interviews...seen them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armenian Patata View Post
There are no Afro Latinos. Latinos are Latinos, a culture not a race.
I don't think that American cops will confuse a black from Havana, Haiti, Dakar or Mali with AA's.
Good try!!
Not true. Plenty Americans fail to understand that not every person of African descent is AA. They equate being black with being AA. Years ago, I rode with a friend to pick up a Puerto Rican guy who had been arrested overnight...and do you know how he was classified? AA/black, not Hispanic. Hispanic was an option, but that is often limited to those who appear more "indio." They eyeballed him and didn't see that he was mixed either.

Tell Amadou Diallo that cops distinguish. Oh wait? He's dead...for trying to show his papers when they figured he was some AA thug with a gun.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:07 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times
No American Cops, except cockeyed ones, will confuse an African or a Cuban for an AA. For them it is a vital question.

Confusing a subsaharan black for an AA is as difficult as confusing a chinese with an Italian.

Oh, yes, just two or three exceptions in a country of more than 300.000.000...quite insignificant.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:11 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
2. If we're talking about the first group when we say "Afro-Latino," I'm really wondering what all the fuss is about. If Latinos come in all races, why is it that only the black ones are fighting to for a distinct identity?
Watch any "Latino" channel and you'll see why

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
No American Cops, except cockeyed ones, will confuse an African or a Cuban for an AA. For them it is a vital question.

Confusing a subsaharan black for an AA is as difficult as confusing a chinese with an Italian.

Oh, yes, just two or three exceptions in a country of more than 300.000.000...quite insignificant.
It probably happens more often that you think. You give some of these Americans, especially American cops, far too much credit.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times
I lived through a couple of riots, they know because their life is at stake.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
This interview features Afro-Latino celebrities in the Unites States.
BTW, she could easily be my sister
same color of skin and features, she even looks like my mom

Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post

Then loads of cops are cockeyed because Zongo and Diallo are African and yet both were killed in cold blood by the NYPD. I don't believe that any of the cops were jailed for this behavior. African taxi drivers in NYC are very bitter about how the NYPD treats them and there are virtually no black American taxi drivers in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas