Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
I think Monterrey and Guadalajara are underrated here.
Perhaps Monterrey, but I think Guadalajara is more or less right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76
I am not surprised that Santo Domingo rates highly for the Caribbean. I think Dominican-American remittances also make a huge difference.
I doubt it because remittances amounts to the equivalent of 6% of their economy.

Where remittances have a huge impact is in neighboring Haiti where remittances amount to basically half its economy. Now that is a country that truly depends on remittances for its survival.

El Salvador is another country where remittances have a significant impact considering it makes up 16 or 17% of their economy.

Guatemala is another one where remittances amounts to 14 or 15% of its GDP.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-28-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,144 times
you're cundiboyancese? no wonder you feel close to ecuador

I am paisa.... they feel foreign to me!

the moral of the story is... colombia is NOT one people, colombia could easily be divided into four or five countries!!!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:11 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
you're cundiboyancese? no wonder you feel close to ecuador

I am paisa.... they feel foreign to me!

the moral of the story is... colombia is NOT one people, colombia could easily be divided into four or five countries!!!
I was reading an interview with Simon Mesa (a Paisa and the only Colombia who has earned a Cannes prize) and he was talking about the "montañero culture" of Paisas. There are many different ways to be Andean.

Quote:
maybe if you have a nazi idea of what a country is. Pretty much all countries in the World are multicultural, and what makes Colombia a megadiverse country are its regions.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:59 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I was reading an interview with Simon Mesa (a Paisa and the only Colombia who has earned a Cannes prize) and he was talking about the "montañero culture" of Paisas. There are many different ways to be Andean.

maybe if you have a nazi idea of what a country is. Pretty much all countries in the World are multicultural, and what makes Colombia a megadiverse country are its regions.
I am paisa and come from a 100% montañera family. I think Colombians are very similar to themselves. I don't believe they have much in common culturally with other countries but if I have to choose my order from most similar to least similar would be:

Venezuela
Ecuador
Central America and Mexico
*****insert big cultural gap here********
Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, Chile
Puerto Rico, Cuba and Dominican Republic

Old 02-23-2020, 10:53 AM

424 posts, read 465,808 times
According to the "Global Power Cities Index" of 2019, Buenos Aires is the most influential city of Latin America. At least for the moment.

Global Power City Index (GPCI) - Institute for Urban Strategies

These rankings usually change around every few years.

As much as I admire the economic strength and industrial capacity of São Paulo to lead Brazil, I do not appreciate the lack of green space in the hypocenter (Ibirapuera doesn't cut it for a city of +11 Mil.), the inadequate public transit coverage of the metro / commuter rail, and the poor oversight of expanding residential development from the 2nd half of 20th century to now.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:04 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,418,592 times
Don’t forget Miami lol.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
I'm surprised Vacouver is on that list.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:35 AM

630 posts, read 525,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Don’t forget Miami lol.
And Los Angeles

Old 02-25-2020, 12:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
And Los Angeles
LOl, Not anymore. Latinos are being priced out.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:02 PM

630 posts, read 525,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOl, Not anymore. Latinos are being priced out.
Los Angeles is more Latino each year. It's the Northernmost city of Latin America, some say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas