Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
So white people are "pure?"

I've heard of several whites who thought they were "pure" and they were, indeed, mixed with non-white ancestry.
Depends on what part of the U.S., and also how far back the person traces their history here in the U.S. Out in the west there was a lot of mixing between natives and whites.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM

860 posts, read 1,109,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
this sort of thing isn't a matter of opinion, or a matter of direct observation..

for me, i'm repeating what i've read, regarding the science on the topic.

if you have strong feelings about this, and are trying to convince us that you're correct, perhaps linking to some kind of study would help.
I'm not trying to convince you. It's just off of what I've seen and heard, and know about through the years.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Depends on what part of the U.S., and also how far back the person traces their history here in the U.S. Out in the west there was a lot of mixing between natives and whites.
That's true. I've also heard that in the south there was a lot of mixing between whites and blacks as well.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Who cares? What different does it make?
No difference. But posters have been asking about how mixed other races are, what's wrong with asking about the white race?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
As a bi-racial person, I have come across a lot of "white" looking mixed people. It's not hard to imagine that a fair number of them slipped across the color line.

My own daughter is 1/4 black. She is 12. She appears to look East Indian, maybe Hispanic. Anyways she asked me why I was so adamant that we renew her passport. I jokingly told her that if slavery were to be reinstated that she and I would need to leave the U.S. She then proceeded to tell me that she didn't need to leave because she would just pretend to be white.

So I can imagine that plenty of light-skin people found ingenious ways to interject themselves into white society. By pretending to be from somewhere exotic and far-away, most likely.
This is a very good point. I remember a book on Margot Webb, and she stated that lots of people in Hollywood are actually black, but are passing. But she felt it was not her place to name them.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
That's true. I've also heard that in the south there was a lot of mixing between whites and blacks as well.
Well that is a fact. It is well substantiated by genetic research. Much of it wasn't of the mutual accord variety.

There haven't been as many deep genetic studies of white populations in the U.S though. If someone has a good one, please link.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I don't think that White Americans have like 20% AA DNA (Which is what it is for AA) but I bet that its more than a miniscule.
Yeah. I think it's definitely more than what is being stated. I don't believe Americans are pure.

There was a white supremacist who found out that he had 12% African ancestry. Needless to say, he was shocked and disgusted.

And there was a white woman who found out that she had almost 20% African ancestry, and had no idea.

Another white lady said that her family cried when they found out about their African ancestry and begged her to keep it a secret. Wow!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well that is a fact. It is well substantiated by genetic research. Much of it wasn't of the mutual accord variety.

There haven't been as many deep genetic studies of white populations in the U.S though. If someone has a good one, please link.
i'm not sure if i'd call this 'a good one' but it does address the subject, and it's better than personal observation (which is useless)

Race Now: #2: How White Are Blacks? How Black Are Whites?

Last edited by le roi; 04-08-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Yeah. I think it's definitely more than what is being stated. I don't believe Americans are pure.

There was a white supremacist who found out that he had 12% African ancestry. Needless to say, he was shocked and disgusted.

And there was a white woman who found out that she had almost 20% African ancestry, and had no idea.

Another white lady said that her family cried when they found out about their African ancestry and begged her to keep it a secret. Wow!
you seem far more interested in the scandalous aspects of it, and the word "Pure", than you do the actual science of it.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you seem far more interested in the scandalous aspects of it, and the word "Pure", than you do the actual science of it.
No. I read about this. Hence I was just sharing what I know with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas