Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,861,400 times

Advertisements

The articles I've read suggest that based on DNA testing there is virtually no non-European ancestry in the great majority of white Americans, especially in the Northeast and Midwest. Most mixes between blacks and whites assimilated into the black community which is why black Americans have 20% European ancestry on average.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
The articles I've read suggest that based on DNA testing there is virtually no non-European ancestry in the great majority of white Americans, especially in the Northeast and Midwest. Most mixes between blacks and whites assimilated into the black community which is why black Americans have 20% European ancestry on average.
That doesn't surprise me. African blood in white people is often downplayed, even by some white people who know that they do, in fact, have black blood. Having black blood was/is thought of as a bad thing. I know it's crazy, but it's true for some people. Hence it is downplayed or ignored.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Does anyone know about Sandra Laing? The black girl who was born to two white parents. She was born as a result of her two white parents both having African/black ancestry that they did not know about. There was a movie based on this.

I didn't understand the hysteria about her because her brothers also looked mixed, when pictures of them were shown. Just lighter in skin color than she was.

Clearly the Laings were "colored" to use South African terminology. Three out of three is to much for some fluke/

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
I'll chime in on this because I have a lot of white distant relatives that I share with on 23andme from the south and I am surprisingly one of the few who has any SSA dna. I'd say less than 10% of the people I share with have any. There are definitely more that show NA dna than SSA which is also surprising to me. Then there are the majority who are just straight up European descent.

I wasn't surprised at mine because I know which ancestor it came from.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I'll chime in on this because I have a lot of white distant relatives that I share with on 23andme from the south and I am surprisingly one of the few who has any SSA dna. I'd say less than 10% of the people I share with have any. There are definitely more that show NA dna than SSA which is also surprising to me. Then there are the majority who are just straight up European descent.

I wasn't surprised at mine because I know which ancestor it came from.

The issue is that the ancient biracials were absorbed into the black community and not the white, which is why even in the South far more black Americans have European ancestry, than white Americans have African. They would have had to pass for white, and that was a very dangerous thing to do, so few would have done so.

But the high incidence of European ancestry among black Americans (80% are estimated to have at least some) shows that there was more "race mixing" than some with pretend. Its just that the off spring of the unions were absorbed by one community, and not the other.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The issue is that the ancient biracials were absorbed into the black community and not the white, which is why even in the South far more black Americans have European ancestry, than white Americans have African. They would have had to pass for white, and that was a very dangerous thing to do, so few would have done so.

But the high incidence of European ancestry among black Americans (80% are estimated to have at least some) shows that there was more "race mixing" than some with pretend. Its just that the off spring of the unions were absorbed by one community, and not the other.
That makes sense. Just like nowadays someone with one black parent and one white parent is considered more black than white.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. Just like nowadays someone with one black parent and one white parent is considered more black than white.

Black people have a more flexible definition about who is black, so its usually easier for some one who is part black to be absorbed into this community.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:28 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,520 times
Quote:

I guess because black is dominant. Plus, the child usually looks more black.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Black people have a more flexible definition about who is black, so its usually easier for some one who is part black to be absorbed into this community.
Indeed

Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,490 times
I would say they were extremely of mixed racial background, most have no way of knowing what they are, it's almost like searching for a needle in a haystack and I dont think dna tests are 100% accurate, they still have to make conclusions and guess by who they are mixed with , how do they know if their great great grandfather wasnt mixed with a dozed different ethnic groups?

and I would guess a high number of people that claim being part native american are actually part African but they rather say NA because it was more acceptable than saying black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas