Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antma robel View Post
For what I've seen and read through a lot of fóruns in the internet Mexicans ( and that is a negative surprise for me ) are the most racist people in Latin América. Strange behavior for a people basecally composed by mestizos...

Not true. You probably believe that because there are more Mexicans than other Latin Americans using the internet because they make the second largest population in Latin America.

I wouldnt be talking. Racism in Brazil makes a shadow over Mexico's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The Spanish language TV Channel produced in America for people from Mexico is really sad and funny at the same time. It in no way shows the Hispanic people in most of Mexico the way they really are.

First, there is basically no dark skinned Mexican Indians on TV. The people on all the shows are very light skinned and look more like someone you would see in Madrid Spain than in Mexico City.

Second, the typical low key relaxed Mexican Stereotype is not shown. Instead, they are very excited and Latin in their behavior. The women all dress like prostitutes and are so excitable.

Finally, there seems to be no real news. Just lots of talk about how terrible American Immigration laws are. Production values are over the top. What a sad state of affairs!
Yes Mexican tv is pretty crappy. This is not exactly a new development.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:01 PM

195 posts, read 441,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Not true. You probably believe that because there are more Mexicans than other Latin Americans using the internet because they make the second largest population in Latin America.

I wouldnt be talking. Racism in Brazil makes a shadow over Mexico's
If you say so...

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 10,164 times
Quote:
For what I've seen and read through a lot of fóruns in the internet Mexicans ( and that is a negative surprise for me ) are the most racist people in Latin América. Strange behavior for a people basecally composed by mestizos...
Nope. Almost anyone in Latin America, would tell you that Argentinians are the most racist people in Latin America. (I don't got anything against them, just that they have the most racist population of any LA country)

Also, I think the OP guy, is talking about Univision?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:22 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,920 times
Quote:
You create opinions about people based on what you read online? Have you ever been to Mexico or associated with Mexicans? Doesn't seem like it. From your posts you do have a tendency to continuously make negative remarks about Mexicans on this board. Strange.

Most of Latin America is racist, and Brazil is no exception. I have heard Brazilians make very racist comments about Black people in person. I was shocked actually. Who do you think you are, a prime example of racial harmony? Sure. That is what they like teaching you but that is not the reality.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
Colombian TV is the same, along with Colombian novelas.. take for example the canales RCN & Caracol....

It's actually the same all over Latin America, the white Hispanics are on TV much moreso than the black (morenos/negros) & indigenos. It's just the way it is. Plus it is very class based too...

Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I think that in most of Latin America they like to see their population as European, not dark skinned Indian people, so nearly everyone in magazines and on television is very white. While a good percent of the population is brown.

The population that "really counts" in Latin American are the people known as "criollos", just as WASP were the only people that were considered "true Americans" until quite recently.

I find quite funny that Americans criticize other countries and cultures for being racist when there were Jim Crow and Sundown laws in force well into the 70's and 80's.

Americans that appear in series, etc, are not "typical" at all, they are not the typical blimpy that shops in Walmart, or the typical behemoths that walk in malls, or the typical whopper guzzler.... not to talk about blacks and minorities, blacks and minorities appearing in US Media are unreal, they are all Nuclear Physicists, superimportant Scientists, etc.

In those series, whites behave in a very idiotic way when dealing with blacks, they all behave as friendly poodles yapping all the time, always acting as dumb "groovy" whites, unreal.

Last edited by Miserere; 04-13-2014 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 01:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
I find quite funny that Americans criticize other countries and cultures for being racist when there were Jim Crow and Sundown laws in force well into the 70's and 80's.

I find it very interesting that Latin Americans try to imply that the USA has remained unevolved from the 60s and 70s (which major city were there blatant sun down laws in their down town areas in the 80s?).

We are in 2014. The reality is that Latin America has made much less progress, than has the USA< in developing an upwardly mobile population among its darkest populations of predominant African and Indigenous origins. And ranting about what the USA was like in 1965 doesn't change that fact.

I can watch MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, and even FOX and see blacks in a country where only 13% are black (equivalent to black AND mulato in Latin American terminology). Can I see this on Brazilian TV, and I don't mean a cute black girl doing the weather report? Please don't cite the DR where (using CONTEMPORARY US definitions) over 70% of the population is black.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:30 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
blacks and minorities appearing in US Media are unreal, they are all Nuclear Physicists, superimportant Scientists, etc.

Isn't that better than being portrayed only as loyal house slaves, or as maids? Given that many people subconsciously derive their images from the media I can tell you that the Cosby Show played a huge role in changing white perceptions about middle class blacks in the USA.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I can watch MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, and even FOX and see blacks in a country where only 13% are black (equivalent to black AND mulato in Latin American terminology). Can I see this on Brazilian TV, and I don't mean a cute black girl doing the weather report? Please don't cite the DR where (using CONTEMPORARY US definitions) over 70% of the population is black.
I firmly believe that blacks are over represented in the U.S media. It's mostly due to political correctness and people trying to make up for past mistakes. What I feel -and thank God it's changing- it's that Latinos and Asians are very underrepresented at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas